Notices

Moving out of sober living.....

Old 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving out of sober living.....

May 9th of this year, I checked myself into a mens detox/rehab facility for 30 days. When I graduated (LOL) I went home, grabbed my pickup and more belongings, then moved into a sober living home for men and also checked into an out-patient program for about 12 weeks. I've been in sober living since.

January 2nd 2023, I will be moving out and sharing a home with one other person. Oh how nice it will be to have my own bedroom, my own bathroom!

I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't nervous. No random testing, no one to oversee and notice any behavioral changes......just me and my roomie.

To put a spin on these new changes, I'm also moving back closer to home. The out-patient program and my sober home is about an hour from where I actually live. I got sober here, all my close AA connections are here and my mentors are here. I'm going to miss them a lot.

Fortunately, during my time here, I actually made the effort to attend AA meetings in my home town occasionally. I know a few AA's there and they continue to turn me onto new people. I've been meeting with a dude that has some lengthy sobriety and he has agreed to help me continue my steps once I move. I'm grateful but the thought of starting over with a new jack is gonna suck. But that's just my self centered alcoholic personality complaining. I've learned that when someone offers time out of their own life to help me, I better dadgum pay attention.

That's all I got. Onward and upward!
Old 12-28-2022, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Congratulations on all your success! I don’t have a lot of wisdom on this, but pulling for you!
Old 12-28-2022, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your new chapter Farrier - well done

D
Old 12-28-2022, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I am so happy to hear you are progressing so well. I remember when you first posted on SR, asking if anyone had done an inpatient detox. I was one of several who shared my experience and urged you to give that gift to yourself. I am so pleased that you chose to do so. It is obvious that you are taking things one step at a time and doing so well. I am sure you will continue to do well because it's obvious you are willing to do what is necessary to succeed.

Congratulations, Farrier!
Old 12-29-2022, 12:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm picking up good positive vibes from you who has
been working so hard to achieve some solid recovery
foundation to life on. Keep building and striving to become
the best, healthiest, happiest person you can be not
only to yourself but to all those around you.

Good Job..!!!!
Old 12-29-2022, 01:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember you Farrier. So much has changed in such short time!

Enjoy your own bedroom, and bathroom. No overseer.

Congratulations.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, @Farrier! What an awesome step towards the life you want! You deserve to be very proud right now.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Work Man!

There will always be someone "overseeing", it's you. You know what you need to do and you will hold yourself to it. You've come to far not to.
Enjoy your New Life and Freedom from alcohol.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done, Farrier. Is your roomie a sober person?
Old 12-29-2022, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Interesting that you all brought up when I first started posting here; I read through those last night. I would have NEVER imagined that I'd be where I'm at today, but that's a good thing. I'm glad this happened to me. I'm 46 years old but I have developed more friendships and positive connections with people in a little under 8 months than all of my 46 years on this planet. I get random texts from random people, "Have a good day brotha!", "Just thinking about you and your family today." I've never had that sort of thing in my life.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Well done, Farrier. Is your roomie a sober person?
Unfortunately not but she is not a regular drinker either. My intentions were to find a non-alcohol household but what I mostly found was ads that read "420 friendly" which I knew I wanted no part of.

I made sure to find a short term lease rental also so I'm only obligated for 3 months. Ironically, I discovered afterwards that my new roommate and I share a mutual friend that I've known for almost 20 years. This mutual friend's daughter and my daughter have been in school together since pre-school and this mutual friend also works for my family business when school is on break. How I ended up with this roommate from a random online ad, I don't know, but this is proof that our world is truly small.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is so good to hear, Farrier.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Farrier, I'm so glad to read of your new & improved life.
Congratulations on the new place starting Jan. 2. I'm sure you'll treasure your privacy. I think it'll be helpful that you & new roomie share a mutual friend.
We look forward to hearing how it goes. So happy for you!
Old 12-29-2022, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is exciting news, Farrier. I wish you all the best- you have been working so hard- you deserve all your success.

Just a question- are you a farrier?
Old 12-29-2022, 08:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^^^ Yes, I'm a shoer by trade.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Farrier View Post
Unfortunately not but she is not a regular drinker either. My intentions were to find a non-alcohol household but what I mostly found was ads that read "420 friendly" which I knew I wanted no part of.

I made sure to find a short term lease rental also so I'm only obligated for 3 months. Ironically, I discovered afterwards that my new roommate and I share a mutual friend that I've known for almost 20 years. This mutual friend's daughter and my daughter have been in school together since pre-school and this mutual friend also works for my family business when school is on break. How I ended up with this roommate from a random online ad, I don't know, but this is proof that our world is truly small.
Wow; so cool that you and your new roommate have a mutual friend. Yes, small world.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

^^^ Well it does mean that if I'm not following my program, word will find its' way back to my wife and daughter one way or another. My goal is to go home, and so far that option is still an option. We have a lot of work to do together first. That will take time and a lot of patience from both of us though.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, you've come a long way in a short time, well done Farrier. Great post
Old 01-01-2023, 02:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's 14:00 my time here in Ca. Went to a few local AA meetings today to say "until next time" to many of the people that welcomed and mentored me when I first came here for treatment last year. Dadgum it hurts! I've made a plethora of close friendships here. There's a huge part of me that does not want to leave. But I do have to go back to work full-time, I do have a wife and daughter at home, I do have obligations that need to be worked on. I was blessed. I got to focus 100% of my time to sobriety, only having to find a part-time work, and the rest, completely focused on AA meetings, counseling et cetera. Hopefully I've done my homework and have met the right people to fill that gigantic void that I have in my heart today. Just for today, everything directly in front of me is okay. Tomorrow is a new day, a new place to lay my head at night, and new opportunities to make connections with people closer to home.

Jason
Old 01-01-2023, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We’re you able to obtain phone numbers or email addresses from your AA friends; hopefully you can keep in touch and remain supportive of each other in your sobriety.

Your positive steps in sobriety will equate to positivity in your life, Farrier. Have faith; stay the course.