Notices

Made it to about 4 months then succumbed

Old 12-30-2022, 06:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Worried14 View Post
I can see that now but seem to get to a point where I pass a boundary and I just don't care anymore. It's difficult to fight the fight when you really don't care. But I'll work it out eventually and I'm feeling hopeful.
How are you going to stop not caring? This one can use some serious thought. But it may or may not be the issue. I remember indirectly confronting that possibility at the same time I embraced my power of choice. I didn't set up a specific strategy for not caring anymore, because I didn't anticipate that particular issue, but I was deathly afraid of the unknown, those triggers that I could not anticipate, or worse yet couldn't even imagine. There might be some trigger lurking out there that I wasn't ready for. I realized that my power of choice gave me one power against it all. All I really needed to do was focus on one thing: Choose not to take that drink, and then what I felt, didn't feel, thought, rationalized, or believed made no difference anymore. I don't know how much of a role that played for sure, although I assumed it was one of the ultimate roles, but one thing that I actually experienced from then on was that I no longer feared my unknowns. They became irrelevant. That was a dramatic perception shift.

It was similar to your concern about not caring anymore, but for me it was more that I didn't have to worry anymore. My bases were covered. I hope you can use something there. If not, you should address this not caring thing some other way, because it sounds like a killer to me.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
There's a reason that the SIX months that follow withdrawal from alcohol are frequently referred to as "The Wall". The brain is still healing and feelings and emotions are often exaggerated. In my case the slightest things would upset me and cause aggravation, my preferred solution for that being a drink. I have had so many relapses in that 3-6 month period. The key in my experience was to get through that first SIX months, then two things happen: 1) the emotional aggravation diminishes, and 2) the reflex of reaching for alcohol did too.

I say this so you know you were almost there, and can do it. Get right back on the horse. The temptation will not always be so strong.
Wow! I've never heard that but it rings new true for me, the wall.
scale that wall to freedom Worried.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The "wall" is real. The only way I make it over that wall is focusing on today only.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
How are you going to stop not caring? This one can use some serious thought.
Yes, I've been thinking about it today. Maybe the not caring came after drinking. I think I find it difficult to know just what I am feeling before drinking and why. I mean it's hard to identify what I'm feeling right now. Partly I have hope but mostly I'm feeling very very anxious and can't shake it off, I'll have to wait for the alcohol to get through the system a bit more. Usually there are several things going on at once. Anyway, I need to work on it.

Thanks silentrun and farrier. I've been reading up on that today too. Think I've read something about it before but didn't realise it was called the wall. The name helps to identify it.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yes, I've been thinking about it today. Maybe the not caring came after drinking. I think I find it difficult to know just what I am feeling before drinking and why. I mean it's hard to identify what I'm feeling right now.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I had access to free counseling back in college, so I took advantage of it, mostly out of just general interest. I was surprised at how much of my progress revolved around identifying feelings, and how many I had that I was not aware of. I had always assumed I knew what I was feeling. After all how hard can that be? Oh my! Was that a learning experience! Some people are probably better at it, and can focus their attention on other growth tools. For me, it was mostly about sorting out feelings. When I got good at it, I figured I had the world by the tail, which turned out to be another great misconception on my part. Just understanding your feelings, or understanding yourself doesn't solve all our problems, and I didn't learn that until years later.

This is why I stress the importance of behavior change, almost to the extent that I fear being a bore, and this shouldn't be big news, as there are many recovery programs, one of the best being Rational Recovery, that revolve around behavior therapy, rather than the more common humanistic approaches where you talk about your feelings. Behavior therapy is well adapted to treating addictions, because with addictions, behavior change plays a bigger role than self understanding. Think about it. You have to change that behavior to find your way out of addiction. Doesn't that qualify as the "Well, Duh??" insight of the year?

Even in everyday life situations, behavior change becomes a short cut to years of psycho dynamic talk therapy. Short cut, doesn't mean it's easier, just more direct, but both approaches in therapy eventually lead to self understanding as one of the end results. Personally, I gained a lot more understanding about my alcoholism after I got sober than before when I was trying to think my way out of my problem.

Partly I have hope but mostly I'm feeling very very anxious and can't shake it off, I'll have to wait for the alcohol to get through the system a bit more. Usually there are several things going on at once. Anyway, I need to work on it.
Every time an unrecognized feeling bubbled up from my subconscious in therapy, it was preceded by anxiety, sometimes frighteningly intense, but once the feeling was understood, it was without exception an emotional high. I used to wonder what the anxiety was about when the outcome was always so very positive. Fear of the unknown, I guess.

In summary, focus on your behavior, that's where the problem is, especially with addiction. Putting your life back together comes later, for me anyway. Others disagree, but we all get to decide our own path to better emotional health.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:23 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post

I don’t need to poison my soul to get through life. You don’t, either.
Yep.

We each deserve a better life than the one that alcohol use offers.

Keep posting Worried.

Glad you’re back!

Old 12-31-2022, 09:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

This is why I stress the importance of behavior change
So true.

To stop drinking after years or decades requires changing a load of other stuff too. Let’s say those who flop out in front of the TV with a six pack of beer after work; they need to cut out/down the TV time too. TV’s boring anyway. Stopping drinking is a big lifestyle change. You’re going to have to put plenty of friends straight and start telling people you no longer drink. The only reaction is likely to be jealousy.

Keep posting, Worried

Old 12-31-2022, 10:12 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Stopping drinking is a big lifestyle change. You’re going to have to put plenty of friends straight and start telling people you no longer drink.

Never a truer word said Hodd. A complete life change. You will lose some people but gain more who actually have something real in common with you. Its so much better or you in the long run.
Old 01-01-2023, 04:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post

This is why I stress the importance of behavior change, almost to the extent that I fear being a bore,
You're not a bore DriGuy - or at least if you were it's because you're saying truths that I don't want to hear. I'm so glad you've said this because I'm seeing that you're very right in that. You've been a big help to me, thankyou! Behaviour change is hard but the first step is recognising once and for all that it is very necessary for recovery.

Thanks TC, good to see you doing well, and thanks for posting

"You’re going to have to put plenty of friends straight and start telling people you no longer drink." Lol, no problem there Hodd, I don't have plenty of friends. It used to be a bit of a joke if I was out shopping etc and had one of my sons with me and I'd pass someone and say hello or stop for a chat and my son would say "who's that?... no, don't tell me... AA". They were the only people I knew. I still see one or two very occasionally. The only people I have anything to do with are my husband, my sons and my grandchildren and the adults know my problem full well and there's no way they'd offer me drink. It's quite enough for me too, the grandkids take up alot of time and energy and I like to spend the rest of my time alone. Though of course I talk to and pass time with the grownups as well.

Hi AL48, yes, "a complete life change" plenty of other changes I need to make too.

Thanks everyone

Old 01-01-2023, 05:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Worried

Originally Posted by DryGuy
Think about it. You have to change that behavior to find your way out of addiction. Doesn't that qualify as the "Well, Duh??" insight of the year?
In addiction emotions drive behavior. You get an urge (emotion) that drive the cortex's {your addiction hijacked brain) to change your behavior to drug seeking into drug taking, With recovery you push yourself hard and harder through all the tough, hard, difficult emotional states that cause you to stagnate in place and not recover. Then the good emotions follow and not precede an action first. Move the body and the better mood will catch up. Repetition of recovery actions will help the mood come along with getting to know some recovery tool's very well .Recovery is an action game despite having a despicable mood or hardcore resistance. Drag your low mood into action. No other way out of me thinks,

Old 01-01-2023, 11:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks Zencat . I'll be using that in my recovery