Notices

Going For It

Old 12-28-2022, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going For It

Hi SR,

I'm trying to figure out how best to write my post. I don't want to go into woe me, my strides, my fall backs, my journey, my this, my that...

I guess I just want to say out loud/in a post that I've decided to try to quit again.

And thinking about all the things that I have coming up to do in January, I actually feel excited and motivated to take them on. I know that by removing the option of having alcohol in my life, I have a great chance to crush all my tasks. I feel pumped to take everything on because I've seen how much I can do when I'm sober.

Thanks for being here SR.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Chance,
. Welcome!
It's very doable,
If you really want to do it.
and it sure sounds like you do.
You will find tons of support and good ideas here!
Old 12-28-2022, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Great decision! If I may, replacing "trying to quit" with "getting my butt out of this mess" or "escaping this hell" signals different things to your mind.

You are going to be limitless!
Old 12-28-2022, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chancellor View Post
I guess I just want to say out loud/in a post that I've decided to try to quit again.
Silentrun you're right! I went back and forth over that 'try' word. I guess I'm scared but I would like to edit it I just don't seem to know how so I'll do it as a reply.

"I guess I just want to say out loud/in a post that I've decided to quit again."
Old 12-28-2022, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've decided to quit!

It gets easier after that. And not near as scary.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Silentrun you're right! I went back and forth over that 'try' word. I guess I'm scared but I would like to edit it I just don't seem to know how so I'll do it as a reply.

"I guess I just want to say out loud/in a post that I've decided to quit again."
I think the quit word can mess with the head as well. Quit what? Drinking? It signals that you are giving up something. You're not giving up anything as much as your trying to save your sanity, health and life. You're trying to escape a vicious trap.

This video touches on what I mean. Its about cigarettes but it could apply to anything, especially addiction.
https://youtu.be/gnSEbLX94Tk

Old 12-28-2022, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Chancellor. I love your attitude. Your positivity & determination will really help as you enter this new phase of your life.
When I decided to quit I kept thinking of the things I'd be missing - even though my life was a wreck. As silentrun said, you're not 'giving up' anything. It's much better to look at it as a wonderful new adventure. I hope you'll continue to post and let us know how it's going.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chancellor, you can do this!
Old 12-28-2022, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Chancellor

D
Old 12-28-2022, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

It was poison for my soul. It kept me from being true to myself, from growing, from truly excelling. Because, somehow, it had convinced me that it was the only way for me to survive.

False!!!

Letting go of a substance is an incredible act of courage. That first brave act will open you up to a LIFE of possibilities and adventure.

You can do it. You aren’t giving ANYTHING up….you are gaining life.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome back Chancellor. Good news you never have to drink again.
Why not shout it on the top of rooftops - I will never drink and I will never change my mind.
Welcome to SR
Old 12-28-2022, 11:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go for it chancellor! You can and will do it, there is a much better life waiting out there without alcohol.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like a really good idea, flip the switch and attack your January events and tasks with clarity!

You've got this and imagine the feeling when you've succeeded with what you need to do, with added knowledge you've done it booze free
Sounds like a stepping stone to greater things doesn't it 🙂
Old 12-29-2022, 12:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Continue to listen, learn, absorb and apply new, helpful
recovery tools and knowledge to your everyday life while
building a strong, solid foundation to live upon for many
sober days ahead of you.

Surrounding yourself with support, with folks who have
been there, done many of the same, similar things as
you and hold on tight for positive changes and become
the best person you can possibly be, not only for you,
but for others around you.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I set my alarm to wake up early today and the first thing I said was "Day Three, Let's do this!!!"
Old 12-29-2022, 03:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning on Day3 of a Much Better life!
Old 12-29-2022, 05:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I think the quit word can mess with the head as well. Quit what? Drinking? It signals that you are giving up something. You're not giving up anything as much as your trying to save your sanity, health and life. You're trying to escape a vicious trap.
In the beginning, it is confusing because a lot is messing with your head. In addition to "Quit what? Drinking?" was "Trying to quit." What "Trying to quit," did in my head was keep me from actually quitting. I was only trying, unconsciously leaving the door open for another drink. The confusion gets compounded too, because we don't know how to do it. Without that direction we really don't know what we are doing, which is a pretty good definition for "confusion." And while prepackaged programs will give us "how to" we still have to discover what that feels like, and come to understand whether it will work in our situation or not. There is still a lot of self discovery we need to do, and that self discovery plays a major role in figuring this thing out.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"The confusion gets compounded too, because we don't know how to do it. Without that direction we really don't know what we are doing, which is a pretty good definition for "confusion." - Driguy

This is exactly what I have been going through with something I have been navigating. Total confusion because there was not a guide map for me. I need a map sometimes. So, I really like how this was worded. Thank You.

(I tried to quote but my computer is acting up or its me....I dont know
Old 12-29-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi SR,

I'm trying to figure out how best to write my post. I don't want to go into woe me, my strides, my fall backs, my journey, my this, my that...

And thinking about all the things that I have coming up to do in January, I actually feel excited and motivated to take them on. I know that by removing the option of having alcohol in my life, I have a great chance to crush all my tasks. I feel pumped to take everything on because I've seen how much I can do when I'm sober.

Thanks for being here SR.
I am so glad that you are trying again, dear Chancellor. s
And we are all with you, every step. ❤️
Old 12-29-2022, 09:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
In the beginning, it is confusing because a lot is messing with your head. In addition to "Quit what? Drinking?" was "Trying to quit." What "Trying to quit," did in my head was keep me from actually quitting. I was only trying, unconsciously leaving the door open for another drink. The confusion gets compounded too, because we don't know how to do it. Without that direction we really don't know what we are doing, which is a pretty good definition for "confusion." And while prepackaged programs will give us "how to" we still have to discover what that feels like, and come to understand whether it will work in our situation or not. There is still a lot of self discovery we need to do, and that self discovery plays a major role in figuring this thing out.
We seemed to have recovered very much alike. Self-talk really is the key. We didn't relapse and neither of us ever fought off euphoric recall.