Notices

Soberly does it. - Weekenders 23 - 26 December 2022

Old 12-21-2022, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

I recall years back when I made an attempt to get sober. I wanted to…but not enough.

I’d not done quite enough damage to myself, not done enough embarrassing times, not done enough blackouts and hangovers.

I lived across from a pub too! What did anyone expect. I said this to a person in recovery once and he just looked at me. I got no sympathy for giving into the lure of the pub.

Looking back it seems I wasn’t ready to stop fully. My head wanted to so why did I always give in to it? I was loathe to think I was addicted to it. Surely an alcoholic was as they portrayed on tv? I couldn’t think of myself as an alcoholic.

When alcohol starting being the main thing in my life I realised I had to stop if I wanted to keep all that was dear to me.

The realisation was a surrender. I’d admitted to myself that booze was taking my life over and that I was losing my grip on reality as I lived for my next drink.

The thought of never drinking again was a bitter pill to swallow. I knew I couldn’t do this alone.

I looked on the internet and found a few sites that may help me.

I came on SR and found people here that knew what I was experiencing. I learnt the pitfalls on the road of recovery.

It was empowering knowing I could have the knowledge and ‘tools’ to stay sober and have a life too.

Looking back….stopping drinking alcohol was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 12-21-2022, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Shotgun! . I'm in for a sober weekend.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Mags - I'm glad you found us and we're glad we found you

D
Old 12-21-2022, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on shotgun , least!

Thanks Mags, ditto Dees post.

I had some AV this week, aching body, visual disturbance, and hubby had a glass of wine with dinner, my POC, RED wine. Ugh.

I looked at his empty glass, wine droplets in the center basin. I literally shook my head “no”, and quickly washed the glass.

The wine was a ‘gift’ from our house builder.

it can be tough this time of year, in any country where holidays and booze is promoted, encouraged, and normalized.

i am free.

Flashbacks of what my relationship with alcohol was truly like at the end, and the guilt and self hatred and fear of physical and mental damage are a good thing to keep me focused.

i am free

Free2bme

staying that way
Old 12-21-2022, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear Free

D
Old 12-21-2022, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mags, I am also very glad you found us and joined the family. I have made so many good friends here, and you are one of them.

I counted Billie's toys the other day and said she had 19. I was wrong, I forgot to count the two crinkly yellow "chips" that came in the crinkly bag to put them in. . So she's really got 21 toys, if you count the individual chips as separate toys. . She sure is spoiled..

I was a mess when I came here. . I was constantly relapsing and going thru worse and worse withdrawals. . But it still took me almost two years before I was finally able to STAY sober. I am so very glad I found this place, a safe haven and a great place for fun and friendship and support. My friendships here may be virtual, but they are real nonetheless and I am so grateful for them.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I am in. So glad I found SR. This will be my 3rd sober Christmas. I am so much stronger now. The first one was rough as I was only a week sober and struggling with withdrawals still. Happy Holidays to all. I am so grateful to be sober. ⛄️☃️☃️
Old 12-21-2022, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so glad I found SR. I don't even remember how I did that. And so happy that Mags is here for us always. 💖 And Dee, Anna, Least...and so many good folks to support and guide.

End of Day 403 for me. Had a good dinner and feeling sleepy now. Good night from extremely cold Seattle.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun Least. Me too, I’ve found some good friends on SR, you being amongst them love.

Free, good post! It’s good to talk it out to yourself. You really are Free!

CBS, congratulations on your 3rd sober Christmas! Woohoo.

Thanks Dee, always grateful for SR and all who sails in her.

Had to go back to bed for a few more hours, I was more tired than I realised. I’ve got a heck of a swollen knee, bruises and sore all over but I’m sober and can get through any problem without booze.

The internet men are coming today (Thursday). The signal here for WiFi is great though without it and I’ve been able to link my phone with my tablet which has been great.

Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 12-21-2022, 09:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Goodnight calmself, wow 403! Good work.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

MERRY CHRISTMAS WEEKENDERS!

I miss you all. Thanks to my friend Canadian Koala for reminding me that Xmas is a time for forgiveness. Thanks too to you Mags.

I post this song every Christmas, it's not a Christmas song but it feels like it is.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for a sober, festive, weekend.

Welcome back Sao!

I hope everyone has a good, sober, weekend.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In for the weekend…..Hello everyone!

^^^^ (In the meantime until our “Thanks” button returns!)

Edit to add: Hey Sao!!!!
Old 12-22-2022, 01:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((saoutchik)) !

How nice to see you again.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Saou.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Purps I actually pressed the red thanks button!
Old 12-22-2022, 02:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Sao
I am beyond happy and grateful I found SR and all of the wonderful people here.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In for a sober weekend. Going to be challenging for a first sober Christmas since 2002. Am determined to get through as have no choice. Time is running out to reverse any health effects of the years of abuse. At 62 you don’t get many more reboots of the hard drive before it dies.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I’m in!
It’s merry, bright, and COLD!
Happy holidays, all!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cold and rainy here in NC today. It may stop later and I hope to get a therapeutic walk in. My German Shepherd Sarge is acting strange and trembling. I think the thunder is scaring him. He did not used to be afraid of storms. Turned on my Christmas lights because it is so gloomy out.

Happy Holidays to all!