Notices

Dont give up, my story

Old 12-20-2022, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Dont give up, my story

My names Frank , im 27 years old and just wanted to share my story for anyone that might benefit from it. i Have 4 brothers and 3 sisters. i was raised by a single mother and didnt meet my father until the age of 10. Even though i had numerous siblings, i was still alone being the youngest. My mom was my hero, everything she did, it wasnt for herself and she did it on her own too. However, the moment my dad came into our lives, lets just say theres many distraught memories a kid shouldnt witness or experience. Fastfoward to late teens early 20's. There was a moment my mental health was spiraling. I was embarrassed to say or ask for help because i didnt want poeple looking at me a certain way. but i asked my dad confidentially"if i needed help with something, can you help me?" he made a joke and i told him i was being serious, so he asked what was it. i let him know the way i was feeling and how i wanted to get better. He laughed in my face and said " youll get over it, its in our blood" I was at a loss of words.eventually i turned to alcohol to help me cope with my mental thoughts.. one beer became two, two became four, four became eight. it got to a point where i need to chug a whole 6 pack just to feel a tiny bit of the efffect. My family became worried .i ended up had a deep convo with my mom and at that moment i decided to start making a change. Went to college. committed to my studies, slowed my drinking little by little to the point where i didnt crave a beer anymore. Got my associates degree of science and got accepted into a medical program that only 20 students out of the whole campus can get in each semester. Happy ending right? 11/16/2017 I get a phone call from my dad saying to go home and check on my mom.at first i didnt think anything, but my gut felt said otherwise. i sped to the house to find an ambulance pulling up behind me . i ran inside and went upstairs. on the floor, there she laid, shaking, trying to talk but couldnt . i put her on her side , my sister showed up a few minutes after me . the moment she started calling her and hearing my sisters voice change, reality slapped me in the face. i was frozen, in shock, this was unreal. My sister stated, "i think she got a heart attack" i quickly said "no, its a seizure" coincidental how the previous week we were just learning about types of seizures. From that point on, hell became a reality. declined the medical program, dropped out of college and decided to work two jobs to help pay for her medical bills. Out of all her kids , just me and the second youngest were the ones contributing.Spent thanksgiving, Christmas, new years at the hospital wondering if she was going to live. We had a go fund me and my "dad" decided to take the money and leave. At that point , i snapped. i drank everyday, and i just couldnt think of anything else i would rather do than be drinking. i was a bartender at one job and that added more fuel to this hellhole i was getting myself into. before during and after work i had to feel a buzz to operate.But my only support system was laying on a hospital bed. i felt hopeless. it started getting worse, drugs were starting to get involved. she eventually got her operation but doctors said it still might only be a year for her to live due to the severe damage to her brain. eventually i hit rock bottom badly. i was an alcoholic, an addict, i missed work or became late alot.i sold or pawned alot of my things. i was wreck. one day , my sister (the one that was with me that day) came to me and i will never forget the look on her face or the sound of her voice."what the heck frank, what happened to you , i know what happened to my mom was a big effect on your life but you cant keep using that excuse, you need to get yourself back up and snap out of it, you were doing so good frank, so so good and it hurts to see my little brother like this" She was right, all this time after her surgery i wasn't paying attention. doctors said 1 year max? Well its December 21,2022 and she feels great. But from that moment on i committed to change, and im proud to say i beat my own demons. and as for career wise, well i now work for Google. Crazy right? Lifes a roller coaster, buckle up . ofcourse i still have my flaws but im only human
Old 12-20-2022, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through all that to join us here, Frank.
I'm glad your mom is OK too

D
Old 12-21-2022, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you made it through all that to join us here, Frank.
I'm glad your mom is OK too

D
Thanks Dee, means alot, im very appreciative of joining yall. and thank you
Old 12-21-2022, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry what you went through, but so happy you got the other side.
You made your mother very proud!
Old 12-21-2022, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I am sorry what you went through, but so happy you got the other side.
You made your mother very proud!
Thanks dropsie, and yeah it really was a difficult journey, there is more too it but i didn't want to make it too long. but to give a hint, i had two mental breakdowns at the age of 24.. talked to a therapist and she even postponed her next appointment to give me more time because she couldn't believe everything that was going on. and yes my mom is proud, i have this sleeve tattoo on my forearm of a rose growing out of concrete i got for her,its a poem, but it signifies that even when the odds are against you, you can still push through it and make something beautiful out of it.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good work Frank and thanks for sharing your story!
Old 12-21-2022, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Frank

Way to get back up and kick life in the arse!
Old 12-21-2022, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenithboy88 View Post
Good work Frank and thanks for sharing your story!
Thanks zenithboy and no problem, just wish to spread hope
Old 12-21-2022, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Thanks for posting Frank

Way to get back up and kick life in the arse!
thanks fishkiller, means alot
Old 12-21-2022, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story frank! I am so happy you were able to overcome all of those obstacles and I am so happy to hear your mom is healthy and happy.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story!