Notices

Seeking help for my brother

Old 12-19-2022, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Seeking help for my brother

So ive never done this before so please, i apologize in advance for any misconceptions. One of my brothers is a drug addict. What once was a goofy, always laughing, caring being, is now rock bottom. i understand that sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to think to yourself," its that time to stop"He always asks me for money but i refuse because i know what its really for. Ive told him to call his mom (were half brothers, same dad) because i know she would always help him. Its now to a time where he has nowhere to go. My dad wont help him, my other siblings could care less. Id take him in a heartbeat, but he has stolen from me multiple times and i have my own family to take care of. To my family, hes "the drug addict who steals and causes trouble" but not to me. The last thing i want is for him to feel neglected which is the reason i check up on him everyday and am now seeking help. I dont know what to do, ive searched how much rehab would be and the range is from 10,000 to 30,000 a month according to research. Any programs i should look into? any information will help, i just need a direction please.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi frvalencia

it would be wonderful if we could love somebody into recovery, but most of the people here can tell you that that’s not how it works.

Recovery only works if the addict concerned really wants to stop and is prepared to act to make that happen.

Any kind of recovery that’s forced or imposed on your brother, no matter how loving the intent, is probably not going to last very long unless he himself really wants to change…

Its not all bad news tho – lasting recovery happens to all kinds of people every day,and you’ve found a site that is full of support for you, and people like you.

welcome aboard

D
Old 12-20-2022, 02:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

@Dee74 Thank you, i know in the end its all up to him for his own change, it just hurts to see him like this. I do agree 100% that it should not be forced.i just wanted to be able to provide the infromation to him incase he ever did decide it was time for change. Thats what i wanted whenever i had a problem. and as for this site, i think its fantastic, love how everyone is so supportive
Old 12-20-2022, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Frvalencia, welcome on SR

As Dee said, your brother must want a change to start any healing process, nothing will work without this first step.
You say he hit a rock bottom which is often a good starting point to move towards sobriety.
At this point, I would suggest accompanying him to a 12 steps meeting AA, CA or NA (depending on the substance he uses)
These meetings are free of cost and could ignite the small spark towards a journey away from drugs.

Come back to see us, you will find a lot of support on SR.
Courage for the future
Old 12-20-2022, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Hi Frvalencia, welcome on SR

As Dee said, your brother must want a change to start any healing process, nothing will work without this first step.
You say he hit a rock bottom which is often a good starting point to move towards sobriety.
At this point, I would suggest accompanying him to a 12 steps meeting AA, CA or NA (depending on the substance he uses)
These meetings are free of cost and could ignite the small spark towards a journey away from drugs.

Come back to see us, you will find a lot of support on SR.
Courage for the future
Thank you Canadian Koala , will definitely look into that,
Old 12-20-2022, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome frval,
. You might find the family and friends forum useful.
You will find a lot of other concerned family members there.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, frvalencia. I am so sorry for what brings you here.

I find myself on both sides of the alcoholism/addiction issue being, myself, an alcoholic in recovery and the mother of an alcoholic; I would turn myself upside down, inside out and submit myself to torture if it would help my child but recovery must be the decision of the alcoholic/addict.

As CanadianKoala mentioned, we can help ignite a spark/plant a seed. Offering to attend a meeting would reflect your openness to provide support without opening the doors to your home.

Take heart; as Dee said, sobriety/cleanliness/recovery ARE possible. So many people here are proof of that. In real life, I have two friends with sons with severe addiction issues; both young men (now in their late 20s, early 30s) are now solidly living a clean life. Alcoholism is rampant within my family but my sister and I are now both ‘solidly sober’ and loving life in Recovery. There is real hope for your brother.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi FRV,

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I lost my brother to heroin in January 2016 so I've walked in your shoes my friend. Like your sibling, my bro was intelligent (degree in chemistry), witty, charming and above all my best friend and soul mate. There was only 18 months between us ( he was the elder) and we did everything together. What can I say, I just couldn't get him off the stuff. I went to every service going to get help for him, managed to get him sectioned, got him onto a methadone programme, - you name it, I did it.

He was found dead with a needle in his arm in Jan 2016. It broke me and was a huge contributing factor to my own demise into addiction (alcohol).

You have to be strong and talk with him as honestly as much as is possible, regarding his intentions. Dee has summed it up better than I can.

If you do everything you can to help him and it doesn't work out then you'll be safe in the knowledge that you couldn't have done more should it rend in tragedy.

My heart goes out to you buddy. It was harder for me watching my bro's demise than my own downfall, at least I could do something about mine.

Find out his intentions. If he wants to kick he's halfway there, he just has to put in the hard work and with a brother like you, he's lucky. Stand by him whatever it takes, as one day you and the rest of the family may have to live with it. I hope to God you can get him sorted. I'm at the end of a PM anytime,

good luck to both of you.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I hope your brother decides to seek help for his addiction. Believe that your brother can find the help he needs when he's ready and please be sure to take care of you.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenithboy88 View Post
Welcome frval,
. You might find the family and friends forum useful.
You will find a lot of other concerned family members there.
sorry, i wasnt sure if this was the right place, im new but for sure ill go look into that section, thank you
Old 12-20-2022, 09:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome to SR, frvalencia. I am so sorry for what brings you here.

I find myself on both sides of the alcoholism/addiction issue being, myself, an alcoholic in recovery and the mother of an alcoholic; I would turn myself upside down, inside out and submit myself to torture if it would help my child but recovery must be the decision of the alcoholic/addict.

As CanadianKoala mentioned, we can help ignite a spark/plant a seed. Offering to attend a meeting would reflect your openness to provide support without opening the doors to your home.

Take heart; as Dee said, sobriety/cleanliness/recovery ARE possible. So many people here are proof of that. In real life, I have two friends with sons with severe addiction issues; both young men (now in their late 20s, early 30s) are now solidly living a clean life. Alcoholism is rampant within my family but my sister and I are now both ‘solidly sober’ and loving life in Recovery. There is real hope for your brother.
im so happy for you and your sister. I too have been established on the addiction /alcoholism issue and along with that suffered large amounts of mentality issues. When i tried asking for help to my dad, he just laughed and said "youll get over it" i was 20, now im 27 and can freely say im in control. im the youngest of my siblings . i do have hope and faith that he can do it, and if it means for me to go to the meetings without him first just so i can talk to him about it to catch his interest then so be it
Old 12-20-2022, 09:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kes2 View Post
Hi FRV,

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I lost my brother to heroin in January 2016 so I've walked in your shoes my friend. Like your sibling, my bro was intelligent (degree in chemistry), witty, charming and above all my best friend and soul mate. There was only 18 months between us ( he was the elder) and we did everything together. What can I say, I just couldn't get him off the stuff. I went to every service going to get help for him, managed to get him sectioned, got him onto a methadone programme, - you name it, I did it.

He was found dead with a needle in his arm in Jan 2016. It broke me and was a huge contributing factor to my own demise into addiction (alcohol).

You have to be strong and talk with him as honestly as much as is possible, regarding his intentions. Dee has summed it up better than I can.

If you do everything you can to help him and it doesn't work out then you'll be safe in the knowledge that you couldn't have done more should it rend in tragedy.

My heart goes out to you buddy. It was harder for me watching my bro's demise than my own downfall, at least I could do something about mine.

Find out his intentions. If he wants to kick he's halfway there, he just has to put in the hard work and with a brother like you, he's lucky. Stand by him whatever it takes, as one day you and the rest of the family may have to live with it. I hope to God you can get him sorted. I'm at the end of a PM anytime,

good luck to both of you.
hi kes2, so sorry for your loss man, my heart goes out to you. Out of all my brothers , this one , him and i have never , ever got into an altercation with one another. always laughs. now when i do see him from time to time depending where he is, hes either on something or drinking, but i dont let that change my view on him, i still laugh with him but they dont last as long as they used to. Ive had deep convos with him, showed him that whatever is being said about him (my family likes to talk down a lot) that at the end of the day , ill be there offering my hand, its his choice to take it.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome, I hope your brother decides to seek help for his addiction. Believe that your brother can find the help he needs when he's ready and please be sure to take care of you.
thank you , and yes will do
Old 12-20-2022, 09:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Free.

You can suggest narcotics anonymous (NA).

Impossible to drag someone to a meeting, they need to decide to go for themselves.

Suggesting it might plant the seed though.