Notices

Paws

Old 12-19-2022, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paws

Hi everyone. I have been stuck inside most of the day with a storm going on. So I’ve been researching about PAWS. I didn’t think it was possible for me to have because I wasn’t drinking that much (well I guess compared) to others. Probably close to 20 drinks a week. I’m trying to figure out if PAWS is possible physically for me or if my issues with anxiety that I had years before I ever drink are coming to surface. I’m only 2 weeks without alcohol. I had no huge withdrawal symptoms at all. I think I’m just sober now and recognizing my anxiety I had all along.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe PAWS usually hits in month two or later. At this point you are likely still experiencing a bit of a deficit of the brain chemicals that help us to feel good, which get suppressed by alcohol. 20 drinks a week is certainly enough to do that. And as you say, the anxiety was there all along. Just give it time, AJ. Keep doing things that naturally lift our moods, like exercise, eating well, helping others etc. Have you read Alcohol Explained, by William Porter? Covers a lot of that.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Luckly, I didn't experience PAWS so I can't help with that answer. I did have crippling anxiety and panic attacks that resolved after quitting. During the early days I had insomnia from withdrawal because of low serotonin levels, low serotonin means low melatonin and poor sleep once the equilibrium took place, I could easily sleep 12 to 14 hours and did the first two weekends.

It was hard for me to figure out I remembered when I started drinking 16 years ago, I didn't have anxiety but then I thought after 16 years I didn't know for sure if it was the alcohol are some natural changes of age if that makes sense.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here's a timeframe I found pretty accurate (not a heavy drinker). I was on the short end of each phase but relapsed several times in the last one due to emotions.

Withdrawal stage (1 to 2 weeks): people who drank alcohol in large amounts may have severe withdrawal symptoms - these may include nausea, low energy, anxiety, shakiness, depression, intense emotions, insomnia, irritability, difficulty concentrating and memory problems. These symptoms typically last 3 to 5 days (mostly anxiety and poor sleep in my case), but can last up to several weeks.

Early abstinence (4 weeks; follows withdrawal): For people who used alcohol, this period is marked most by the brain's recovery. Although the physical withdrawal symptoms have ended, the client's brain is still getting used to the absence of the substance. thinking may be unclear, concentration may be poor, nervousness and anxiety may be troubling, sleep is often irregular, life feels too intense.

Protracted abstinence (2 to 5 months; follows early abstinence): From six weeks to five months after clients stop using, they may experience a variety of annoying and troublesome symptoms. these symptoms - difficulties with thoughts and feelings - are caused by the continual healing process in the brain. This period is called 'The Wall'. It is important for clients to be aware that some of the feelings during this period are the result of changes in brain chemistry. If clients remain abstinent, the feelings will pass. The most common symptoms are depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, low energy and a general lack of enthusiasm. Exercise helps tremendously during this period. For most clients, completing this phase in recovery is a major achievement.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i can’t wait to hit six months.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gotcha. Thank you everyone. This actually helps a lot
Old 12-20-2022, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originalname, six months was a big mental milestone for me, partly because of a scene in a movie. It was in my mind that if I could go six months, that it would be possible to never drink alcohol again.

For me, the phases could be summarized like:
Concentrate on not drinking.
Emotions coming back online.
Brain begins coming back on line.
Growth begins to occur and very old issues begin to be addressed in a productive way.