Notices

Hope in the Little Things

Old 12-13-2022, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hope in the Little Things

As a many-time relapser, it was so difficult to even imagine what might longer-term sober people meant when they said, "It gets better." AA promises me something beyond my wildest imagination. Well, I'll tell you what, sometimes it's the little things that amaze and please me. I thought I'd post some things I've noticed to celebrate my own sobriety and maybe give hope to someone else:
  • My handwriting! I can write in full cursive again. I noticed some particularly lovely 's's I scribed last evening. Neat!
  • Tripping down stairs lightly. This took a couple of years - I wasn't sure it would ever come back. I was so wobbly for a long time that I thought I'd need to be a handrail gal forever. Nope - I can actually skip down stairs now - without even a thought. I almost always notice how great it feels with surprise and delight.
  • Love of music has returned. I never really lost that part of myself, but it had been so muted I didn't really pay it much attention. Now, I sometimes once again experience full-blown joy in hearing an old song I loved or a new song that hits me just right.
That's just a few examples. I'm sure there are more...

I hope this helps someone today.

O

Old 12-13-2022, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, recovery is a lot about little things, but lot of little things add up, and that still takes me by surprise.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. One of the reasons I need to keep my recovery and AA in the center of my life is because as soon as I move them out of the center I start taking the blessings of my recovery -- including precisely the sorts of things you describe -- for granted. I have been told that a grateful alcoholic won't drink. I think there's a lot of truth to that. Unfortunately, my default mode is not to be grateful but rather to be irritable, restless, and discontent. That's why I need the daily reprieve from my self-obsessed nihilism that I get via regular meeting attendance, step work, and service work. Thank God for our recovery.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by novips View Post
I need to keep my recovery and AA in the center of my life is because as soon as I move them out of the center I start taking the blessings of my recovery -- including precisely the sorts of things you describe -- for granted. I have been told that a grateful alcoholic won't drink.
I love how taking time to appreciate the least of things (cursive "s's! ) keeps us rooted in an attitude of appreciation for the MIRACLE of restoration that AA promises. We don't have to wander around in constant awe at the transformation in our lives (it's hard to maintain that level of honest overwhelming gratitude). We need only pay attention to the beauty and joy that springs unexpectedly to the surface of our understanding.

Now, in recovery, this periodic JOY runs through me in a shiver on a regular, but always surprising, basis.

*When I see the leaves spin down in torrents of cold rain on a tree-lined street,
*When a particularly poignant song begins during my run (check out Bear's Den - everything they make is BEAUTIFUL, but esp. the Islands album),
*When my 7 year-old, freckled, rough and tumble son says "That was the best tea for my sore throat. Thanks, Mom."
*When my husband takes a nap spooning our old, sweet Bassett Hound. They both snore.

God gives us BEAUTY. Everywhere. I just tend to get so distracted by pain and fear that I stop taking notice. What a shame. When I seek Him, through an attitude of humility and gratitude and service (well outlined in AA, but certainly approachable in other ways), His BEAUTY is once again revealed to me.

I must remain vigilant to NEVER again take this JOY for granted by blinding myself with substance use. It is ridiculous to behave in a matter that is opposite of my created purpose for communion and service. And yet, I can definitely be ridiculous. Today, instead, I will choose to be grateful!

Thanks for the post, Obladi. I'm so glad you are seeing some promises come true!

-TC
Old 12-13-2022, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can’t think of a single negative of stopping drinking. I’m not even hard core anti-alcohol (for normies), but there really is only positives. Well done, obladi
Old 12-13-2022, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Obladi, I love this and I really believe that it's learning to notice and appreciate the small things that keeps us in recovery.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Obladi- The handwriting!! I was so excited to see that my fine-motor coordination is back and as good as it ever was. How many mornings did I struggle to get things jotted down in those first minutes at work?? It's painful to remember but a joy to behold the change.

Thanks so much for this post.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing Obaldi, definitely given me the encouragement that I wanted today.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Early on I cherished and lived for the little things. It was all so new to me so everything fascinated me.

Almost 3 years in and I find myself getting caught up more and more in the "bigger" things.
I find Much more satisfaction in the little things.
Example: we moved to a new state to be close to grandbabies, built a new house, wife got a new job, retirement is going well for me and have started doing odd jobs to keep me busy and some extra cash. All these things I think are big things. Big positive life changes.
None of them bring near the satisfaction a smile or hug from a grandbaby, a call from a friend, a snuggle from one of my fur babies. Not even close.
Complete opposite from my drinking mentality.

Thanks for posting a reminder to adjust my focus.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks Ob - a timely suggestion

D
Old 12-13-2022, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love this thread... a few things I noticed today that I am thankful for
**Swimming with my nephews
**The way my cat jumps up in bed after she eats dinner and puts her nose on my nose
**The sound of the dryer tumbling
**The glow of the candle I have lit right now
**The excitement I found learning this week and passing my midterm

This is a wonderful thread...
Old 12-14-2022, 12:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thank you for posting Obladi.

Hope carried me when I was too weak to walk.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Indeed, life is so much sweeter sober!
Old 03-02-2023, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I forgot to mention this one, but it tickles me almost every day:
- Putting on/taking off pants without holding onto anything for support!

Found (again?) since that time:
- I can hold my piece when agitated by someone else. Pausing for however long it takes fosters a better peace.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^ Both of those, Obladi 👍

I can lace up shoes, either sat or standing, without getting a belly full of acid reflux.