SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   As the festive season looms - Weekenders 09 - 12 December 2022 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/461406-festive-season-looms-weekenders-09-12-december-2022-a.html)

Mags1 12-07-2022 07:41 PM

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 09 - 12 December 2022

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 09 - 12 December 2022

https://i.postimg.cc/52G5mddw/3-BD87...71-EE16-B2.jpg

When I realised I had a drink problem I wanted to learn how to cut down, drink responsibly.

When I found out that one drink is too much I was faced with a dilemma I didn’t want.

Why did it need to be so final? Why couldn’t I drink like others, just now and again or just the one occasionally.

I learnt that I with my addictive nature, one would never be enough. I drank until I passed out, that first drink was a slippery slope for me.

So I stopped drinking. It was hard at first. But steadily and surely my head and body got used to not having alcohol. In fact it felt good.

Life was less complicated and I felt better, mentally and physically.

If you’re thinking of a sober Christmas, why not start right now. Yes, I know! Sounds impossible! It isn’t!

I’d like to add some words I’ve shared before from a SR member many will know, who sadly passed away nearly four years ago now.

Gilmer, our Kathy, as we fondly called her, had integrity, strength and above all humor. ❤️

She had the ability to say the right thing without any flannel.

To quote Gilmer.

“There is a great difference, though, between quitting because you know something's bad for you and quitting because you know that there's something better for you.”

This really resonated with me for a long time, I knew alcohol was bad for me but I really didn’t think there was something better. I quit because it was bad for me. I found out there was a much better life without it. There truly is.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!) :)

ToughChoices 12-07-2022 07:46 PM

Shotgun! In for a SOBER weekend, for sure!!

Dee74 12-07-2022 07:53 PM

Thanks Mags! :)

D

least 12-07-2022 07:54 PM

I'm in for a sober weekend too. :)

Mags1 12-07-2022 08:04 PM

Congratulations on Shotgun ToughChoices. :c011:

Good to see you Least and Dee. :wavey:

CBS62 12-07-2022 08:08 PM

Thanks Mags I’m in for a sober weekend. Congrats on shotgun tough choices🎉.

least 12-07-2022 08:13 PM

Not feeling wonderful this evening. :(. Been feeling half sick to my stomach for several hours. Took some pepto bismol and hope it settles my stomach. Might go to bed early and see if I feel better tomorrow. Home health nurse sent me a text that she'd be here tomorrow at noon to change the dressing on my leg.

I was supposed to go to the wound care clinic last Thursday but the cab that was supposed to take me there never showed up so had to cancel my appt and make another one. Called the health plan number and told them my problems with that cab company and asked if they had another transportation company I could use. They said they did and made my two new rides with the other cab company. I hope they'll have a driver ready when I need to leave.

Robbie64 12-07-2022 08:26 PM

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for another sober weekend.

I'm awake early this morning. I couldn't get back to sleep so got up for a while but am going back to bed soon. I do wish I could sleep all night long but it rarely happens.

Mags1 12-07-2022 09:31 PM

Hi Robbie, hope you get back to sleep. I’m like that nowadays. Always awake early.

Least, hope your sick feeling goes.

It’s -1°C outside, I wondered why my cats didn’t venture out yet. :abcn:

Dee74 12-07-2022 09:33 PM

Hope you feel better in the morning least :)

D

least 12-07-2022 10:24 PM

I went to bed early but laid there for an hour unable to fall asleep. :(. Will try again in a bit. My eyelids just would not stay shut. :dee

Britbird80 12-07-2022 10:30 PM

Hi all and thanks Mags.

In for a sober weekend here too.

Mags1 12-07-2022 11:11 PM

Good to see you BriBird. :wave:

Least hope you get some sleep. :hug:

calmself 12-07-2022 11:22 PM

Nice thoughtful quote by Gilmer. End of Day 389 - Good night from Seattle.

Mags1 12-08-2022 12:56 AM

Goodnight calmself. Sleep well. Your days are adding up great!

Purplrks3647 12-08-2022 01:47 AM

Thank you Mags….and thanks for sharing a quote from our friend Gilmer :angel: :candle6D:

I too drank until I passed out….on a daily basis….ugly hangovers at work every day for like two decades! Insanity! :boggled:

I’m in for the weekend :Xmasda

Cityboy 12-08-2022 03:15 AM

Hangovers at work every day. Sounds familiar.

Now, I think of a NORMY, not as someone who can drink two beers while watching football without drinking the whole case, but as someone who can watch tv until 10 and sleep until 6. Slept until 5 this morning, which gives me a feeling of accomplishment to start the day.

Least, can you change the dressing yourself or perhaps have CK do it?

To say that I knew there was something better would imply that there was an element of positivity where there was none. It was more a feeling of putting down flaps and landing gear to gain an element of control before crashing.

Alpine 12-08-2022 03:28 AM

Least, I hope you are feeling better
TC, cograts on shot gun
Mr. A comes back home tomorrow night which I am so looking forward to it.

RunnerF 12-08-2022 04:31 AM

In for a sober weekend.

Mags. Thanks as always for the great message. Quitting for me has always been ending something bad but I never thought I am quitting because there is something better. That resonates.

Pledging for today. Day 67.

itsmaria 12-08-2022 05:03 AM

That quote sums up how I feel.

Least would definitely get an older dog at least not a puppy. But Im not rushing into it. Hope.ypu got some sleep.

Made it through yesterday.

Take care all.