Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 09 - 12 December 2022

Notices

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 09 - 12 December 2022

Old 12-08-2022, 06:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! I love that Gilmer quote. It took me a little while after I quit to truly embrace the idea that there was something better. I mean, I knew there had to be, I was just skeptical that I'd ever find it. I kept going to AA meetings where people who had more sober time were clearly way happier than I was, so I stuck it out. As the days, weeks, months went by, I shifted my thinking completely from "I HAVE to quit drinking and I'm unhappy about it" to "I WANT to quit drinking because I'm happier this way."

My work situation is improving a little here and there. It's a relief. I am sleeping better again.

However, my man friend is still really struggling with his mental health. He and his doctor are tinkering with medications, so hopefully he turns a corner soon. He is sleeping better, so that's a big improvement right there. Judging by the posts so far in this thread, we all understand how important sleep is to our mental and physical well-being.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Thanks Mags. I'm IN for another sober weekend.

I'm awake early this morning. I couldn't get back to sleep so got up for a while but am going back to bed soon. I do wish I could sleep all night long but it rarely happens.
Robbie, do you watch television, use or computer or other devices in the hours before bedtime. If so, the blue light could be interrupting your circadian rhythms. Anti blue light glasses might help. They have helped me.

Love the Gilmer quote, Mags. I miss her.

In for a Sober Weekend.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I will miss her forever; God Bless you, beautiful Kathy. ❤️
Old 12-08-2022, 09:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

I have been trying to get my painting finished. It's coming along slowly.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s taking shape Kaily. Looking good.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, in for this weekend.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Kaily, that's looking good!

I woke up early today cause son in law brought their dog over and I'm dog sitting for the day. . She's a really good little dog and gets along fine with Billie. .

Mags, that can/jar opener I ordered last night was shipped today. . I am looking forward to using it to easily open jars and cans.

I just gave both dogs a treat. .
Old 12-08-2022, 10:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you. Holiday season seems to be all about drinking season. Tough to talk myself into even trying.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sober Saturnalia, Troopz ~

We're alternating between modest Snow and Sun 'round these here parts, so it's nice to have the whole Xmas vibe kinda goin' on. I can take/leave all the Holiday kerfuffle, so I poke around to uncover happy bits of it all to have fun with. I like Lights. So, I get with some of that. Lotsa Homemade Cookies to be chowed, too!

2 Weeks from today, we will have arrived at my Sister's House in SoCal. Just the 3 of us this Year in that Alcohol-free setting, and our 2 Dogs. Nice! We'll set up the Trailer in her Driveway for just shy of a couple of Weeks. Then, head down to >1 Week at a Hot Springs 'Resort' that's a fun, low key Joint. Cheap to put up at, and minutes away from infinite Meal choices in Palm Springs. There's lotsa empty Desert adjacent, so it's a fun place to let MesaPup safely run around.

My own Sober Trick Bag includes staying clear of taxing situations - done easily enough - while not getting sucked into delusional ones. I.e., thinking that Alcohol has to be part of any celebration, or that it improves 'fun'. The outcome of >4 Decades of such experiementation yielded the same, dismal resuts. I just poke my sotted Memory a few times at random. Those realistic recollections keep me grounded, and on track w/o a whole lot of effort. Always checking in to SR is Standard Procedure, too.

Some Old School Xmas Songs from one of us...

Elvis Presley Xmas Medley

Old 12-08-2022, 12:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

He has really grown into a beautiful dog, Mesa. Thanks for the picture.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Thank you. Holiday season seems to be all about drinking season. Tough to talk myself into even trying.
Hi Porcupine s

It really isn't. It is about family and love and the magnificent Christmas lights.
This is the perfect time to make the pledge to be sober and enjoy the season with fresh eyes. ❤️
Old 12-08-2022, 12:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Still the most beautiful dog on the planet, Mesa. (And don't tell my sister I said that. ).

Her dogs, Taya and Normie.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Loving the doggie pics! Look at MesaPup with his baby

Looks great Kaily…I love all the colors!

More congrats to Least celebrating 13 years!
Old 12-08-2022, 01:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Lovely doggie pictures!

Congratulations on 13 years of sobriety least
Old 12-08-2022, 01:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Robbie, do you watch television, use or computer or other devices in the hours before bedtime. If so, the blue light could be interrupting your circadian rhythms. Anti blue light glasses might help. They have helped me.
Guilty to all, I'm afraid! I know that being on a computer later in the evening isn't the best thing. I do have the brightness turned down though.

I have always been a poor sleeper and waking up during the night on a regular basis (or taking ages to get to sleep) is something that predates having a computer. I go through spells of not sleeping much at all to having broken sleep to getting a decent (by my standards) nights sleep and then it starts all over again.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mesa Pup is a gorgeous dog for sure!

Thanks for the congrats on my soberversary. I'm dead serious when I say that I never thought I could get this far with my habit of relapsing all the time. But so glad I was wrong and am happily sober now.

Robbie, I used to wake in the middle of the night all the time. I'd go upstairs to my den and play on the computer for a while or watch M*A*S*H episodes then go back to bed in an hour or so. I was blaming my old dog for waking me up, thinking he had to pee, but after my little chihuahua died, I stopped waking up in the wee hours and realized it was my chihuahua who was waking me up. I still wake up early am for no reason sometimes.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new Weekenders chapter Mags1

Ŕ la Sao of course!
Still hoping to see our friend say hi for Christmas...

Congrats on celebrating 13 years sober Least

Have a good Friday friends ☼
Old 12-08-2022, 05:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The dog sitting is going great. . She's been no trouble at all and has been quiet with very little barking. She usually howls when her mom and dad leave her, but today she howled once after son in law left, but stopped howling when I petted her and sweet talked her. . She is very laid back and sweet. . I really love my little grand puppy.

Home health nurse came today to change the dressing on my leg. I have an appt at the wound care clinic next Thursday and an appt for a mammogram after my wound appt is done. Good thing they called me to schedule it cause it's been over a year since I had one.

Here's my little grand puppy and Billie Jodie (my grand puppy) is in front, Billie is curled up behind her in her doggie bed. Jodie's full name is Jodie Pawster

Old 12-08-2022, 11:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

dog good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
boredog.jpg (19.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

MesaMan, great pic of MesaPup. He’s grown up so much. Enjoy your time away.

Billie and Jodie look happy together Least.

Leigh, useful information about circadian rhythms. I’m going to show Mr. Mags.

-2°C (28.4F) this morning and not going to rise above 2° C (35.6F) all day. I can’t believe I was moaning it was too hot a few months ago.

Marty, pleased things are better at work.

Have a good day, shout out if your struggling. xxxx