SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   UK Wed 7th Dec BBC2 9pm (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/461394-uk-wed-7th-dec-bbc2-9pm.html)

Kaily 12-06-2022 10:08 AM

UK Wed 7th Dec BBC2 9pm

https://i.postimg.cc/cHvBfktq/Screen...6-18-02-40.png

TheAten 12-06-2022 10:31 AM

Thanks for this! I will watch on iplayer.

Robbie64 12-06-2022 10:50 AM

Thanks Kaily. I'll also watch it on the iPlayer.

Further summary, from the BBC website:

Alcoholics Anonymous is the longest-running addiction programme in the world and has been operating in the UK for 75 years. At a time when problem drinking is on the rise, this film has access to an AA meeting in central England for the first time ever.Rooted in the evangelical Christianity of 1930s America, many of the cornerstones of the programme's structure have changed little. How does this organisation work in our modern society? How do members with no faith at all interpret the programme now, and why does it still work for so many?

Forwards 12-06-2022 11:57 AM

Thanks Kaily - I'll watch this as well, with an open mind...

Forwards.

Steely 12-06-2022 01:05 PM

Thanks Kaily. Even this is change in modern world. Never previously would AA allow for the filming of a meeting. Even with consent. More stigma then, probably. Hide it. :(

AA is changing, as do all things, and has been bedrock for a lot of people over the years, and I don't go to meetings. Used to, but things changed. :)

I learnt a lot from aa.

Easy Does It

Mavericks 12-06-2022 04:02 PM

Thanks. This looks interesting and I'll give it a watch.

least 12-07-2022 12:07 AM

I live in California, is there any way/place I can watch it? I also used to attend meetings, but never went as far as getting a sponsor and working the steps. I just liked the support and camaraderie of the group and it was a discussion meeting, which I liked as different topics came up. It was very interesting going around the room for thoughts on the chosen topic.

Robbie64 12-07-2022 01:31 AM

least, I don't think there will be a way for you watch it unless it is shown on somewhere like BBC America, if you can get that.

Cityboy 12-07-2022 01:53 AM

Looks like it could be really good. I did a search and it didn't come up.

Robbie64 12-07-2022 02:25 AM

Hopefully someone will upload it to YouTube.

sugarbear1 12-07-2022 03:15 AM

BBC iPlayer - BBC Two

I joined for free......

Hodd 12-07-2022 05:02 AM

I’ll be watching.

It’s sad, though. When I was a drinker, if my wife switched TV channels and such a programme came on, I’d change channels straight away. This thread reminded me of a Louis Theroux documentary in 2016 about alcoholism. That was an example of a program I was too scared and embarrassed to watch. But it had the effect of chipping away at my conscience so ultimately helped. I hope this BBC offering is an opportunity well taken.

sugarbear1 12-07-2022 01:38 PM

How to Watch I’m An Alcoholic – Inside Recovery in the US for Free (reelsmag.com)

they're asking for money, sorry I'm determined to find this documentary. Even if I need to wait a bit....

Robbie64 12-07-2022 02:40 PM

A review of the programme: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-hugely-moving

Hodd 12-07-2022 04:46 PM

I’ve not had anything to do with AA but watched most of this tonight. It was quite good and portrayed AA as a fairly approachable bunch. With my limited knowledge of AA, I liked the way the 12 steps were there to be interpreted and not cast in stone. I like the people they chose too. They were all a humble genuine lot. The documentary did spend a lot of time on the higher power point, and whilst it got across the point that religion isn’t involved, it didn’t come across well. At one point, a guy was kneeling and praying to his higher power. It might’ve made good TV, but it might’ve also lost a few potential AA members. This is just my opinion as someone who saw how low, insignificant and egotistical I was as a drinker rather than any higher power out there. Saying that, the same gent made the point that many drinkers white knuckle it without any sort of recovery plan. Everyone in the documentary was way happier in life now they’ve quit which is brilliant :)

Kaily 12-07-2022 09:50 PM

I went to AA in desperation. For months I would go and listen and waiting for the magic people spoke of. I was naive, all I kept hearing was keep coming back, so I did. I was given phone numbers, I didn't know why. One day after a particularly bad drinking incidence where I had ended up in hospital I rang a number. I thought this person was going to rescue me but all that she said was don't do it again. I was baffled. A few days later I went back to the meeting, a huge black eye. It was asked if anyone needed a sponsor. I put my hand up but nobody offered ..

Anyway the documentary reminded me of those days. It was honest and realistic. Also repetitive with the watch words. And what wasn't clear to me originally a lifelong commitment.

I did appreciate hearing people admit how hard it is and how drinking thoughts are often knocking on the door. I know mine are always there waiting to pounce. They didn't sugar coat recovery.

I was also curious how they digitally changed faces without it being obvious.:dunno:

TheAten 12-07-2022 11:27 PM

I watched this. Hmm. All I can say is I respect that this organisation has worked for many but for me it sends shivers down my spine (and not the good kind).

Also, on a topic nothing to do with AA, but the digitally enhanced faces (deep fakes) were far too realistic for my liking. At this point, absolutely nothing you see on TV is to be believed!

Kaily 12-07-2022 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheAten (Post 7881070)
I watched this. Hmm. All I can say is I respect that this organisation has worked for many but for me it sends shivers down my spine (and not the good kind).

Also, on a topic nothing to do with AA, but the digitally enhanced faces (deep fakes) were far too realistic for my liking. At this point, absolutely nothing you see on TV is to be believed!

No AA is not for me either.

Yes I spent far too long trying to work out the faces thing :lol:

TheAten 12-08-2022 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kaily;[url=tel:7881071
7881071[/url]]No AA is not for me either.

Yes I spent far too long trying to work out the faces thing :lol:

It was so distracting! I couldn’t believe I was looking at anything other than an actual human face! I play video games a lot and love new tech but this was on a different level!

Mags1 12-08-2022 12:15 AM

I just watched it on bbc iplayer. Very interesting. I hope it helps people who are too embarrassed to reach out for help. It isn’t for me though and I too was looking how faces was changed. :dunno:

That is why I found SR and stayed. I feel comfy here, home from home. I was too scared and embarrassed to walk in and ask for help face to face, thinking I was a waste of space.

For me SR gives me enough support on the recovery road.

Kaily I’m saddened that you wasn’t offered a sponsor when you raised your hand.