Notices

Class of November 2022 Part 2

Old 11-30-2022, 02:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 59. Continuing to accept that it is the first drink that is the problem for me, nothing more. Keeping it that simple is the distillation of my “ complex “ problem.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

good morning. i woke up with the realization that our bodies are amazing things when we aren’t actively poisoning them
Old 11-30-2022, 05:48 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RunnerF View Post
Pledging for today. Day 59. Continuing to accept that it is the first drink that is the problem for me, nothing more. Keeping it that simple is the distillation of my “ complex “ problem.
Spot on for me too Runner.

Checking in on day 6. I’m committing to 24 more hours without alcohol. After work today, going to hit another virtual meeting but other than that, I’m hoping for a low key night.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Jojo, honey — doctors absolutely CANNOT do either of the things that happened to you or your son. That behaviour needs to be reported to the AMA. Sorry, that just upset me terribly. As you know, I share your fears and have some of the same triggers. But the only medical person who was ever unkind to me was my local pharmacist. And she apologised profusely for the thing she said. s
Old 11-30-2022, 06:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

And love and good morning and afternoon to all of you.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:20 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Last night at my AA meeting we read the chapter on acceptance. Probably my favorite in the Big Book. I needed it. I think I get all worried about trying to make everything perfect (my version of perfect) for everyone and it distracts me from what's really important.

My favorite excerpt:
“Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation—some fact of my life—unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God’s world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life’s terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes.”

I can only control myself and my reaction to situations. I need to remember this.
"Bad things are going to happen. That's not negotiable. What is, is how you deal with it." - Keanu Reeves

Old 11-30-2022, 06:37 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi all-
I'm enjoying a relatively peaceful couple days--last week was a (insert banned word here) storm. No, I didn't resort to drinking although I thought about it briefly but realized it would help nothing and I'd feel horrible the next day.

But all is well that ends well, at least for now, although I was upset because I had to miss my family's Thanksgiving dinner due to one of the crisis(health issues of someone close to me that resulted in a trip to the ER.) Bummer, but what can you do-life happens.

I do think my new anxiety meds helped although I stopped taking the daily one due to side effects I still have the "in case of emergency" ones which I didn't use but once. I think just the idea of having them helps and definitely is better than running to wine to help.

Hang in there all!
Old 11-30-2022, 07:04 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks Suze,

I appreciate your reply and my fear isn’t as big as it was a week ago. So that shows me I can work through it. I’ve often thought whatever was recorded in my chart may have been something I didn’t like which is okay but the other comment was completely and utterly unnecessary and just shows me for the millionth time that our words have power and I’m aware of what I say to people for that reason. It’s made me a better person that way for sure.

have little Bryce again today. My daughter took him to the doctors and his ears are infected. Hopefully after a couple doses of his antibiotics he will feel better.

Day 8 today. Yayy! Does the link to the December 2022 class get posted here or do we need to go look for it. I am going to do both as I joined up late here.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:05 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 5 here. I am going through something I didn't expect. This may be bad enough to serve as huge motivation for never drinking again. In the past when I stopped drinking, I would experience mild gastric discomfort for a few days. This time after day 3, I'm having a major one. Pain was so bad that I couldn't sleep. I remember one of our child's doctor one time talking about how intestines are so tough, they're hard to cut through, but apply a little gas pressure and it is extremely painful. Hope that wasn't TMI. I only hope it's gone in a few days. I can only assume that this is a progression and would definitely happen again if I started and stopped again. Maybe even worse. Whoever just mentioned it. It is amazing how much our bodies can actually take and still recover.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:06 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Good morning!

Last night at my AA meeting we read the chapter on acceptance. Probably my favorite in the Big Book. I needed it. I think I get all worried about trying to make everything perfect (my version of perfect) for everyone and it distracts me from what's really important.

My favorite excerpt:
“Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation—some fact of my life—unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God’s world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life’s terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes.”

I can only control myself and my reaction to situations. I need to remember this.
"Bad things are going to happen. That's not negotiable. What is, is how you deal with it." - Keanu Reeves
Bobbie - we discussed the same topic in my Sunday meeting. In SMART Recovery it is referred to as worrying about what’s in your Hula Hoop (what’s in your control). I think it is such a huge thing to remember. I know one of the things that fuels my relapses is worrying about my drinking past and all the dumb stuff I did or said when I was drunk. Or worrying about the impact my past drinking has had on my health. Or worrying about other people’s perceptions of me and my past behavior. That stuff is out of my control now. Does no good to dwell on it. Just leads to negative thinking, which leads to negative emotions, which leads to negative actions (which for me, is relapsing).
Old 11-30-2022, 08:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Bob—I hope your tummy feels better. s
Old 11-30-2022, 09:31 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks Suze!
Old 11-30-2022, 10:00 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Hi all. Day 5 here. I am going through something I didn't expect. This may be bad enough to serve as huge motivation for never drinking again. In the past when I stopped drinking, I would experience mild gastric discomfort for a few days. This time after day 3, I'm having a major one. Pain was so bad that I couldn't sleep. I remember one of our child's doctor one time talking about how intestines are so tough, they're hard to cut through, but apply a little gas pressure and it is extremely painful. Hope that wasn't TMI. I only hope it's gone in a few days. I can only assume that this is a progression and would definitely happen again if I started and stopped again. ...
"Pain was so bad that I couldn't sleep" sounds pretty awful, bobdrop, I hope it's eased now.

Have it checked out if not better very soon, or if you develop a fever or other symptoms, hey?
Old 11-30-2022, 11:02 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks Caramel! It usually takes a few days, but it's never been this bad before. Trust me, I've had severe sepsis before, so I'm always on the lookout for that. I was told that if I had waited until morning to come in for that, a few years ago, it would have been my last morning. I think that's how Jim Hensen died.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:43 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi all-
Day 11 here.
Husband came home from working an 17 hour shift in the ED. He’s so gray lately. I don’t even recognize him. He only gets paid for 12 hours. It’s like this ever shift. No breaks, nothing. Even airline pilots get breaks.

So cold out there today! Going to walk the dogs nd go grocery shopping. Abdomen is still sore.

Read everyone’s posts. Stay strong.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:46 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Jojo - I hope Bryce gets some relief soon. I hope you get some snuggles too.

Bob - I hope you feel better soon, and I totally get it. Good motivation to not ever drink again.

Bassetdog - I really like the Hula Hoop analogy. I will probably steal that.

Suze - After reading about your last sign up for classes I started looking on-line today for my options. You are awesome and a great motivator.

Caramel - Hi!

Peke - I hope your husband gets a break soon. I'm glad he has you to come home to.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:01 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thank you, darling Bobbie. I also have a lot of knowledge now regarding accredited courses and the like, so if you want to talk about anything you are considering studying, let's do it!
Old 11-30-2022, 01:10 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bobbie, I'm glad you're looking at options for online courses. I hope you find something you like. And, yes, Suze is the expert in the field.

Peke, I hope your abdomen pain eases up.

Bobbie, I found the same thing. When I allowed my thoughts to drift to the messes I'd made while drinking, I'd usually end up drinking again.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:16 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

That is why my favourite recovery saying is this: You can look back, but don't stare. ❤️❤️
Old 11-30-2022, 02:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

if it continues bobdrop I hope you'll consider seeing a doctor.

D