Notices

Grumpy, moody man

Old 11-21-2022, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grumpy, moody man

Hi all. I’m feeling physically really great and mentally very well also; I have no anxiety, and in fact I’ve started singing and doing silly dances when I’m doing some cleaning or walking in the park. I’ve missed this silly side of myself; however, I also find that my admittedly already very low patience has now gone subterranean and I am very, very irritable and easy to displease. I don’t fly into a rage or stomp around angrily for hours, but small things are really, really getting on my nerves at the moment!

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this, and if it evens out eventually. I’m generally in a very good mood and feel great, but I have noticed that I’m extremely irritable at the moment. I’m giving myself a break because I’m not biting anyone’s head off or being rude but inside a few times a day I rage for a little bit. I’m very early on into my sobriety so any experiences/advice would be much appreciated! Thanks all.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yeah
Been there. It does get better. The brain is working overtime right now so it's bound to get tired and grumpy.
Hang in there.
It seems like these things go on forever at times but the All pass eventually
Old 11-21-2022, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Most definitely, TheAten. There's an adjustment. I was very short-tempered & impatient. It lasted a few months & then finally disappeared all together.
It's annoying, but normal.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, absolutely. I was angry with myself and with the whole world. Just know that it will get better and the feelings will pass and ease up.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I thought it would be normal, after all I battered my poor body and brain. I’m really not a patient person anyway, but I’ve surprised even myself with just how irrationally irritable I am. I have also questioned myself rather than blaming anyone else for this, and have even apologised when I feel I’ve been too short (this is also new for me, so I think that’s a positive). Also I’m sure I’m running on quite a substantial sleep deficit, and I’m definitely more grumpy on the days j e slept poorly. Really appreciate you all, day 18 tomorrow 😊

Oh! And a quick edit - I haven’t wanted or craved alcohol at all, for which I am very grateful!! Having moody episodes set off cravings would make me a very moody crab, indeed!
Old 11-21-2022, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have 6 months of sobriety and I still have those feelings. For me, they are normal feelings that I'm dealing with for the first time in many years. I wasn't a daily smashed out drunk but I did drink everyday. All that poison changes the chemistry of our bodies and it takes time for the body to heal.

Be aware of those feelings of drinking or not wanting to drink. Alcohol is doing push ups and getting healthier everyday, just waiting for you to have a bad moment or a bad day. Alcohol is far more patient than you.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not having alcohol around us or easy to reach can
help us achieve sober success each day that passes
while leaning on our recovery support and absorbing
new healthier ways to handle situations of everyday
life.

Remaining teachable can also help us move forward
in a positive way too. With willingness, openmindedness
and honesty you can continue to grow stronger in all
areas of your life, overcoming hurdles that we would
normally address if we were under the influence of
a toxic substance running rapid thru our bodies.

Keep up the good work.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Out of nowhere this evening I feel like bursting into tears. I just feel so sad. I’m not even sure about what. I’ve nothing to feel sad about. I don’t want a drink, not even slightly, so I’ve no idea why I feel so damn sad. I suppose my emotions are all over the place. I think I’m just over tired.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

TheAten, that often happens in recovery. It will get better.
Take care of self.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Caramel, I just feel so silly, I haven’t properly cried in years, I don’t know what wrong with me. I’m sure I’ll feel better after a night sleep, thank you for the reply, I feel lonely this evening and I’m not a person who usually feels lonely! Just have to ride with the emotions I guess.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TheAten - I was emotional, too. Very happy & relieved to not be drinking, but feeling melancholy for some reason. We're learning to live in a new way & all the emotions we've stifled with alcohol are emerging.
I remember being in a restaurant with my husband when I was a few weeks sober. A certain song was being played & I suddenly had to make a dash for the rest room - in tears. I have no idea what caused that - but thankfully those mood swings stopped. Be kind & patient with yourself as you make this big change in your life.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking suppresses so much emotion.
It’s just surfacing.
I could laugh hysterically and cry in the same hour.
It does even out, but important to feel the feelings to release them—
Old 11-21-2022, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Agreed, Hawkeye.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you both. It helps more than you can know. I feel embarrassed to moan and complain but I just felt this way and like I had to reach out. I really appreciate you all, thank you.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you TheAten for posting this! I am on day 37 and have been quick to anger lately and wondered if this was my real self without alcohol. I'm glad that it probably a symptom of withdrawal. Thank you everyone for your responses too.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Kensie, no problem! I’m glad I could help you as well, I don’t like being so grumpy and irate, just as I don’t like feeling sad right now, but I drank so much for so long I don’t think I ever felt a “real” emotion so I don’t know how to handle it! We will learn, I’m sure 😊
Old 11-21-2022, 05:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh man, those first few months.. I totally went through all of that when I first got sober and it lasted about 6-8 months as I recall, but of course things steadily improved, especially after that initial 30-60 days. You're doing great and it's awesome that you're not tempted to pick up. I was torpedoed many times by the sudden rush of emotions. Just stick it out man, it gets better and better and one day you just laugh this stuff off.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone who replied, really helped me get through a very upsetting evening (why I was so upset and sad, I’ve no idea, no rhyme or reason to it!). I’ve woken up feeling much, much better, far more even keeled. How long that will last who knows, it’s early days! I also appreciate you telling me if potentially lasts a couple of months so I know what to expect, and that everyone has said it steadily improves and does subside. Forewarned is forearmed, after all. Thank you all.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Aten, I think if you discussed how you’re feeling with a GP, they’d likely put it down to recently quitting alcohol (for which they’d pat you on the back), but if your mood swings go on much longer (months), it’d be worth asking your GP.

I remember feeling anxiety which I’d never had before or since, and it was horrible.I really thought that would become the new norm, but very thankfully it passed in a few weeks. It’s still early days but good going 👍
Old 11-22-2022, 10:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
nez

Out of nowhere this evening I feel like bursting into tears.
If you burst into tears, there is absolutely nothing wrong in doing so. Emotions are mean to be felt and expressed. The key is to do so in a healthy manner. Our souls would never experience rainbows, if our eyes never have tears.

Emotions being all over the place is normal in early sobriety. Alcohol engulfed me in the mentality of a hammer; everything was viewed as a nail. So when I took away alcohol, my automatic go to mentality had to change and expand. Not everything was a nail, some were screws, some were bolts, some were flowers. At first it was aggravating and frustrating because it was so natural to grab a hammer and drive the nail home. Poor flowers. There definitely was a learning curve involved, but with time and practice, recovery has made me a more accomplished artisan of life and my toolbelt reflects this.

Be sure to include yourself on the list of recipients as your practice of patience (among other skills) is honed. A life with alcohol is limiting. A life without alcohol is limitless. Because it is limitless, we get to explore a lot of new territory, Just be kind to yourself because there is a lot of new; but oh what new it is!!! It is the life we were meant to live!