SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Still Going for Now (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/461219-still-going-now.html)

Thrillhou 11-18-2022 05:53 PM

Still Going for Now

I put in the notice at work. It was scary. I have almost 5 months. I haven't been doing it the way those judgmental books say to do it. Therefore it is illegitimate according to many in the community. If you acted/talked the way AA tells you to people would think your more crazy than if you are drunk.

Thrillhou 11-18-2022 08:19 PM

This thread is going as well as that 2015 Muppets reboot.

Dee74 11-18-2022 08:29 PM

There are many ways to permanent recovery. If AAs not for you, find something else :)

D

Kaily 11-18-2022 09:13 PM

It doesn't matter what way you achieve sobriety as long as it works for you. We are all different striving for the same result. No right or wrong.

brighterday1234 11-19-2022 12:34 AM

If you’re sober and happy about being sober then that’s recovery in my experience

fishkiller 11-19-2022 02:48 AM

Whatever works man

Congratulations on the new J O B!

Hodd 11-19-2022 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 (Post 7874952)
If you’re sober and happy about being sober then that’s recovery in my experience

100%

I’d heard of AA, of course, but I have no idea what the big book or steps are. I had my way of quitting which worked for me, but it’d be absurd to tell someone it’s my way or it’s wrong. I don’t believe, or at least I hope not, that AA are so inflexible. I’m sure the book is open to interpretation and steps can be skipped. TH, you’re going great, so it’s time to move away from anyone telling you otherwise. Maybe find a new group who will be more complimentary of your efforts.

Alpine 11-19-2022 04:28 AM

I know what AA is and have a rough idea of what the steps are but have not gone, I do not think it would be a good fit for me because I am not a group type of person. I have been doing it my own way with the support of the great people here and like others say do what works for you. Do whatever it takes to maintain your sobriety even if it does not align with what the book says or AA says. AA is just a tool to use and there are many other tools out there and to me it's not a one size fits all. Everyone is an individual with individual experiences and needs.

mns1 11-19-2022 06:02 AM

Those 5 months are legitimate Thrill, no matter what anyone says. Keep being your resilient, sarcastic self. I'm proud of you man.

Hevyn 11-19-2022 10:06 AM

Thrill - 5 months is wonderful. We know what a challenge it's been.
I've been sober nearly 15 yrs. without AA, but I know people who have had their lives saved by meetings.
I'm glad you got the giving notice thing out of the way - I know that's a relief.

Zencat 11-19-2022 03:12 PM

Thrill do it your way recovery method is very legitimate in my book. 5 months sober is fantastic. Some like Alcoholics Anonymous some don't but that doesn't matter at all. The only thing that matters is what works for you so keep working it cuz it looks like it's worked.

Thrillhou 11-23-2022 05:29 PM

For the holiday here is a link to the most iconic Thanksgiving TV program ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FzJWGNx98

fishkiller 11-23-2022 07:05 PM

ALF is awesome

Thrillhou 11-25-2022 10:25 AM

5 months for the third time.

Dee74 11-25-2022 12:55 PM

Congratulations TH :)

D

Anna 11-25-2022 03:14 PM

Good for you, Thrillhou.

Hevyn 11-25-2022 06:00 PM

5 months - that's fantastic, Thrill. :)

Thrillhou 11-25-2022 07:42 PM

Today was also my last day at the UPS Store. On to a marginally less terrible/embarrassing job.

TheAten 11-25-2022 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thrillhou;[url=tel:7877076
7877076[/url]]Today was also my last day at the UPS Store. On to a marginally less terrible/embarrassing job.

I don’t think any job is embarrassing. I can’t say some aren’t terrible (it’s all subjective, of course, but I’ve had jobs I really disliked but they served a purpose for a time). Just think, though, Thrill. You’ve got sober, and if you maintain sobriety, you’ve climbed an internal Olympus Mons which is a feat many won’t even dare attempt, let alone conquer. Far from feeling any embarrassment, for that you should feel immense pride. Keep going and plant that flag on the summit, and good luck in the new job.

Ps just as a side note, being sober is allowing you to move on from situations you don’t enjoy, like getting a new job. If you can do this after a relatively short period of sobriety and feeling a little deflated, just think of what you could achieve after six months, a year, five years of sobriety. You’re already changing things for the better. Don’t ever stop.

Delilah1 11-25-2022 10:42 PM

Congratulations on five months and the new job, that’s a great way to head into the holiday season and the new year!

❤️Delilah