Notices

Day 2

Old 11-12-2022, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I'm lucky that I don't get proper withdrawals, I think it's because I alternate between big binges and periods of sobriety on a constant basis so my body never gets used to regular, high consumption for longer than a few months.

Slept well last night, off to meet a fellow alcoholic friend for breakfast.

I think i need to make some kind of recovery plan, anyone got any advice on that front? Like the format or template for such a plan??

Glad to be starting this journey, what a cracking sobriety date to start on yesterday too 11/11/22!

Old 11-12-2022, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Good on you for day 2
Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
I think i need to make some kind of recovery plan, anyone got any advice on that front? Like the format or template for such a plan??
Here are some SR sticky's with a bunch of programs in them.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...formation.html (Recovery Programs and Resources Information)
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...cular-web.html (Secular Web)

I work on a formal program of my own design borrowing from a large array of recovery resources.

Old 11-12-2022, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee has some materials on making a plan. I'm sure he will give you links. Back when I quit, I never heard of making a plan, but I did make plans. I pretty much knew what my biggest challenges would be, and I apparently identified them correctly, so I planned on ways to avoid, escape, or deal with them should they arise. I also kept in mind that I would encounter unknowns. After identifying a possible challenge, I would bring it up in my group, and get feedback from others on how they dealt with similar situations. There was usually at least one good workable idea from someone.

Having a plan that deals with specifics is more than just a cookbook of required responses for success. It also gives you more confidence, and in my case, I think I needed a lot of that. As a beginner, I had so many doubts about my strengths, so confidence was important. My plans gave me strength. I think that was more important to me than just counting on my innate strength and assuming I was strong enough to stay sober. For me, staying sober required more forethought, planning, and process than that.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nmd

Congrats on 2 days sober! The most important thing for me was to do whatever it took to not return to drinking. A good plan helps you avoid temptation, reinforces support, and focuses your attention on working on (possibly new) positive things in your life

Here's a link to one of Dee's posts on recovery plans: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

There should also be a bunch of sticky posts at the top of the forum. Welcome!
Old 11-12-2022, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have come to conclude that there is a type of alcoholic for whom only Alcoholics Anonymous works. I don't know whether you are that type, but it's probably worth checking out regardless. The A.A. plan of recovery roughly breaks down into three parts:

1. Regular A.A. meeting attendance. A general recommendation for newcomers is 90 meetings in 90 days. Get a home group.

2. Work the steps. Get a sponsor who has worked the steps as they are set forth in the Big Book of A.A. and follow those instructions with that sponsor's guidance.

3. Service. In the beginning, get a service position. Once you've been through the steps with your sponsor, then you can sponsor others in order to help them have their own experience with the steps.

That probably sounds like a lot, but don't worry about it. If a bozo like me can pull off following those instructions, then anyone can. Even if you think there's no way you'd ever sign up for all that -- check out a couple of meetings regardless.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further about any of that.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by novips View Post

1. Regular A.A. meeting attendance. A general recommendation for newcomers is 90 meetings in 90 days. Get a home group.

2. Work the steps. Get a sponsor who has worked the steps as they are set forth in the Big Book of A.A. and follow those instructions with that sponsor's guidance.

3. Service. In the beginning, get a service position. Once you've been through the steps with your sponsor, then you can sponsor others in order to help them have their own experience with the steps.
This IS a program of recovery and 11/11/22 is a really cool Sobriety Date!

and here's a chip for you

Old 11-12-2022, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One rough outline of a plan is to think about your triggers and think about your (previous) drinking environment, and come up thoughtfully with something to do when those reminders happen by. There can be much more to it than that, but for me it was important to think about situations where those triggers would show up, and then have already thought out what I would do.

This way, drinking never becomes the path of least resistance, and you're never left wallowing in unexpected indecision.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Toddy
nmd's link is a good start to get you thinking about what you might need to do and what a sober life might look for you
Old 11-14-2022, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My wobbly legs brought me here today as well.... on my Day 2. I cannot help but notice your Day 2 was 3 days ago. I hope you come back...and I hope you see me here too : )