Notices

The Warrior and The Addiction

Old 11-07-2022, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The Warrior and The Addiction

Adapted from some Buddhist teachings I recently came across.

The warrior, gird for battle, entered the room where his nemesis waited for him. Upon seeing him the nemesis smiled, smugly confident. "You are back again, I see."
The warrior gripped his weapons with sweaty palms.
"How many dozens of times does this make?" asked the nemesis. "Is it a hundred yet? Won't you ever learn? I am your addiction. You cannot defeat me."
The warrior hesitated. How many times had he tried this before? He could not recall. He suddenly felt sick and weak. In a desperate, impulsive move he threw his weapons to the ground. "You are correct. I am defeated by you over and over. I have not come to fight you. I have come to pay you my respects." The warrior fell to his knees. "I have defeated many adversaries in my life. All who got in my path have suffered. But not you. You are the one I cannot defeat. I admit it. You are greater than me. I will fight you no longer. I have merely come with a simple request."
The addiction was stunned...and pleased at the thought of no longer having to fight with this fool. "Because you have humbly surrendered and have shown me this great respect, I will grant your request."
"Tell me," said the warrior, "how you became so powerful. How is it that you can so easily defeat me time and time again."
"Ahhh," said the nemesis, "I overwhelm your senses. I get in your face. I scream. I rage. I eliminate your ability to hear or see anything else. And when that is done, I command. I command and you obey. I take all my power from you, and you cannot help but ascent to my demands."
"So, if I refuse to do anything you tell me, you are powerless?" asked the warrior.
"Exactly!" said the nemesis.
The warrior picked up his weapons and turned to leave. The nemesis rushed him, screaming and raging in his face. "What are you doing? Stay! Fight me! I command it!"
The warrior smiled, calmly said "No," and walked out of the room.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

...I eliminate your ability to hear or see anything else. ...
^
was the key sentence for me.

Thank you, Nonsensical, for that post.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post thanks for posting this!!
Old 11-07-2022, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post. It is all our choice. I will make the right next choice
Old 11-07-2022, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is exactly what helped me to get rid of this dangerous habit. I decided not to confine and control the demon anymore... I just opened my house and let it go. I realized that alcohol did not control me, it was my persistence to keep it in check.