Notices

Cirrohsis ?

Old 10-30-2022, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cirrohsis ?

Hello all. Recently have been getting the feeling that I have cirrohsis. Just want to know if anyone happens to have it. I would just like to know what I would been in for. I cant even begin to tell my parents yet as it would kill them. I pray and hope you pray for me that I dont.
If you have it and would share I would be greatfull. Also would love to know how you deal knowing you have it and expectations.

IF not I totally understand.

TY
Old 10-30-2022, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

to SR TY. I don't have any experience with liver disease. Maybe another SR member will be able to help you out
Old 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm sorry for your concerns about your health. The best thing for you to do would be to talk to your doctor and find out if you have liver damage. And, if so, then you could ask the doctor any questions you have. My advice to you is to stop drinking right now, if you've not already done so. The liver can often repair itself, and your doctor could talk to you about this.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The only way to know if you have cirrhosis is to go to a doctor for tests. It takes a whole lot to make it to cirrhosis. It's possible you just have fatty liver, which can be treated and reversed. The liver is a very forgiving organ and can regenerate if the damage is caught early enough. Please don't just assume. Go get checked out so you can know for sure and start treatment, if necessary.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Consulting a medical professional can ease your mind- I had lots of health related worries that were quickly and efficiently addressed by a trip to my doc and some very honest communication. Best of luck!
Old 10-30-2022, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Praying for you 🙏🏽 ❤️ good advice here
Old 10-30-2022, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This might sound stupid... But I half dont want to. I mean if I have it whats it going to do. They cant really reverse it. If I have just a fatty liver then it should get better without drinking.

And yeah I gave it up and been sober a week. Long story short I went to the hospital from bleeding. Alcohol when I would drink for days would kill stomach eventually. This time I passed some blood. Hospital said yeah you are beating up your liver arent you. Told me to go see a GI Dr for my gut and that I was at stage 3 which isnt good.
Sorry im all over the place. My biggest fear at some point is telling my parents im going to die. Ive always said I just want to outlive my parents. Im honestly not even sure what kind of Dr I need to see for the liver. I believe a GI dr really wont have anything to do with liver issue.
Maybe ill just wait a while being sober before I go. I feel fine when I dont drink and dont really feel like I have many symptoms

Thanks again for support
Old 10-30-2022, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Stage 3 what?

A regular GP can test your liver function. It's just a simple blood test, which will tell them if any further testing is needed. They can test for several things, including GI issues. Please don't just assume you are going to die. There is a better than good chance that whatever is bothering you can be treated. Why would you tell your parents you're going to die when you don't even know what's wrong?
Old 10-30-2022, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Stage 3 what?

A regular GP can test your liver function. It's just a simple blood test, which will tell them if any further testing is needed. They can test for several things, including GI issues. Please don't just assume you are going to die. There is a better than good chance that whatever is bothering you can be treated. Why would you tell your parents you're going to die when you don't even know what's wrong?
Okay thanks for that info. I didnt realize they could test that sort of thing. Really as long as im not drinking my stomach is okay but I should still go anyways

I didnt mean tell them unless I was told I did and it didnt look good. But even then it would not be any time soon. Ill fight until I had to tell me. Just would kill them and me both.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your comment about Why Bother isnt just medical - bother for your own peace of mind! My understanding is that you get pretty severe whole body jaundice when you have it. I went to the doc when I was getting sober, got the whole panel, liver was grim, proteins in my blood, etc. Went back some time later, I forget if it was a month or 3, but things looked a lot better. It helped to see it in execution.

Clearly youre worried so I say go for your own mental health! You need to make yourself and taking care of yourself a priority, not just for your parents sake. Love yourself like they love you! Youre awesome for getting a week in (hardest part I found) and youre worth it!
Old 10-30-2022, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My brain had me dead and buried over and over again. I’m here, and I’m better than ever- stopping drinking allowed mr to get a handle on my health. Get some more time sober and maybe go see your GP for peace of mind. The things we imagine are often much worse than reality.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
My brain had me dead and buried over and over again. I’m here, and I’m better than ever- stopping drinking allowed mr to get a handle on my health. Get some more time sober and maybe go see your GP for peace of mind. The things we imagine are often much worse than reality.
Yeah I might make an appointment tomorrow or sometime this week but schedule out a couple weeks. That way ill have roughly 3 months sober so maybe it give the ole liver a bit of time to settle down.

Anyone up on what is good to eat for a liver. I take several supplements like milk thistle which is supposed to be good. Maybe it is maybe it isnt but I cant imagine an herb can hurt. Diet info would be good. Seems I read on here sugar was bad but thats no big deal I dont eat much sugary stuff or drink sugar drinks. I just rock out my sparkling waters all day.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

The best thing you can do for your liver is stop drinking, eat healthy.
The only way to find out if you have a problem or not is to see your doctor, man.

Like VikingGF I would have bet any money that I had cirrhosis. I did not

I know its scary but if there is a problem, you'd want to know now and not later, but honestly
I know folks here who got bad news and they reversed the damage to a large degree

Chances are you're fine - stay sober, make an appointment and stop torturing yourself

D
Old 10-31-2022, 02:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My Grandfather had cirrhosis. He died from it.
There is no guessing when you have it. You would know for sure.
It's brutal.

Always best to get checked out by a doc of course. Like someone else said if you do have issues you can track your progress if you have an initial baseline.

Go to the doc. Tell the truth. Get a full screen blood test.
Stay sober.
Watch your body heal from the inside.

It really is a better life

Don't let the AV scare you. It just wants you to give up.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Axkiker.

You’ve had really great advice here. I hope that, as suggested many times above, you consult with your doctor soon. It was advised that you see a gastroenterologist regarding your GI bleed; that same doctor could order that a liver panel be taken.

In the meantime (and thereafter), don’t drink. That will give you the absolute best chance at a healthy and well functioning liver.

I hope that you stick around SR. You will receive excellent support along the road to sobriety and recovery.

You asked for prayers; you will have them.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Drinkers get all sorts of aches and pains. I had grim stomach aches at night and the classic right sided rib pain. These pains went after I quit, and doctors say the aches may have been due to swelling. They don’t really know.

As people have said, get a blood/liver function test. This will tell you if all’s OK and if there’s any damage. When I say damage, the test includes a measurement for a type of enzyme (GGT) which the body produces more of if the liver isn’t happy. The liver’s the only organ that can regenerate, so a lot of damage is reversible.

Cirrhosis isn’t reversible. I too was worried about this, so I paid for a private fibroscan. All was OK. The doc said all my healthy stuff such as exercise and weight loss was good but it was almost insignificant when compared to the effect of quitting alcohol.

Fingers crossed you get the all clear, but take the way you’re feeling now as nature’s warning to never drink again.

All the best and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I dYou probably do. Most of the time it's mostly reversible (but not 100%) but it's in your best interest to avoid all alcohol and intoxicants forever and see your doctor ASAP. Many alcoholics have completely reversed their cirrhosis only through abstinence. The problem is eventually provoking your body, immune system and liver that way the damage can and will become permanent. There is no predicting who or why or what. Some people are even resistant to alcoholic liver disease or damage but the truth is booze hurts the body in so many ways there's no point in taking that false sense of security. There's no safe dose of alcohol regardless, even a little has been shown to increase all cause death so quit ASAP, see your doctor ASAP to get evaluated for that and possibly alcohol withdrawal as you could have other alcohol related diseases or need detox and embrace recovery. Those are the only right answers to your question.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

^ Once you reach fibrosis and the next stage cirrhosis, these aren’t reversible. These conditions can be managed within reason, but cirrhosis is seriously bad news.

Fatty liver, which I had, can be painful, but that is totally reversible.

The only way to find out if a liver is diseased or not is a blood test, and even this won’t pick up signs of scarring. A fibroscan will. Medical advice from a doc is the only way. Cirrhosis doesn’t really have any symptoms until it’s advanced.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all.. I feel a bit better but I just have a bad feeling. Im gonna try to get to the GI doc within the next couple weeks. Gotta find one first. And yeah I have not drank in a bit. Not long but I dont intend on going back.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I agree with what everyone else is saying Axkiker.

Speaking from experience... the longer you wait around speculating about what health problems you might have, the worse the anxiety gets. I spent years doing that and, combined with drinking, my anxiety was through the roof. And it all came to a crescendo when I could no longer hide that something was actually wrong and went to the hospital. Six long and scary months later... I was fine. But I still beat myself up for letting it get to that point.

If you're worried about your health, go get checked out before things get bad. Your life is worth it.