Notices

Cirrohsis ?

Old 10-31-2022, 06:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
kes

Nice to meet you AK,

I had full liver function tests back in June, before going into a detox unit for a 10 day alcohol withdrawal programme. My results were BAD. Whilst it wasn't cirrhosis, it wasn't far off. A liver gamma test should have a score of 20-40 for a normal liver, over 100 is considered bad, mine was 460. My doc and key worker were alarmed and speeded up the process of getting me in asap.

I'm now on day 140 without a drink. I had bloods taken last week and got the results back today (weird seeing this post as I literally got them back this afternnoon). They had fallen to 34 and all other tests were normal. My doc is amazed as ia my social worker and key worker.

The reason I'm replying is, go and see the doc, get the tests to establish where you're at. Don't panis if the results are bad, like mine were, as the liver is so resilient and rapidly repairs itself, providing you totally quit drinking, eat healthy food and drink plenty of water.

I hope this is calming and gives you a sense of positivity for the future. You CAN get better

I also recommend inpatient detox, it saved my life. I wouldn't have lasted another 12 months, according to my team, and here I am with a normal functioning liver.

Hope this helps.

PM me anytime if you're you're panic is horrendous and I'll talk you throgh my treatment.

Good luck and ATVB,

Kes
Old 10-31-2022, 06:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kes View Post
Nice to meet you AK,

I had full liver function tests back in June, before going into a detox unit for a 10 day alcohol withdrawal programme. My results were BAD. Whilst it wasn't cirrhosis, it wasn't far off. A liver gamma test should have a score of 20-40 for a normal liver, over 100 is considered bad, mine was 460. My doc and key worker were alarmed and speeded up the process of getting me in asap.

I'm now on day 140 without a drink. I had bloods taken last week and got the results back today (weird seeing this post as I literally got them back this afternnoon). They had fallen to 34 and all other tests were normal. My doc is amazed as ia my social worker and key worker.

The reason I'm replying is, go and see the doc, get the tests to establish where you're at. Don't panis if the results are bad, like mine were, as the liver is so resilient and rapidly repairs itself, providing you totally quit drinking, eat healthy food and drink plenty of water.

I hope this is calming and gives you a sense of positivity for the future. You CAN get better

I also recommend inpatient detox, it saved my life. I wouldn't have lasted another 12 months, according to my team, and here I am with a normal functioning liver.

Hope this helps.

PM me anytime if you're you're panic is horrendous and I'll talk you throgh my treatment.

Good luck and ATVB,

Kes
Thank you for that response. That does help. I tried to PM you but it says I need 15 points to PM someone. How the heck does that work?

Old 10-31-2022, 07:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Go get checked out... you can't do much about cirrhosis, but there are other liver conditions that you may have risk factors for, that are treatable.

Sorry to be so blunt, but: you'd hate to die of a treatable disease, just because you're scared about having an untreatable one.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
Thank you for that response. That does help. I tried to PM you but it says I need 15 points to PM someone. How the heck does that work?
its 15 posts, not points

This is a big and busy site - unfortunately some people come here just to spam - a 15 post requirement makes most of them lose interest.

D
Old 10-31-2022, 07:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
its 15 posts, not points

This is a big and busy site - unfortunately some people come here just to spam - a 15 post requirement makes most of them lose interest.

D
Okay thanks read it wrong.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Often with liver disease, you won't directly feel it. You may feel side effects of a malfunctioning liver though.

But a lot of those side effects mimic other consequences of binge drinking.

Definitely find your way to a doctor.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
nmd

I don't have cirrhosis, but had fatty liver and errosive esophogitis from drinking. Diagnosed with blood work and sonogram for fatty liver and upper lower endoscopy for the GI issues.
(Vomitting blood was a pretty big symptom too.. )
I was on reflux meds for a while to stop the bleeding and related anemia

Today I'm 2 and half years sober. My liver numbers in my blood work have been normal for a while and I haven't needed reflux meds for years. My primary doctor suggested maybe redoing the liver sonogram next year.

Congrats on quitting drinking I hope.you get to the doctor and get checked out
Old 11-02-2022, 11:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi

They test the blood enzyme levels to check for elevation and a ultra sound on the liver I had to see if I have liver damage.As everyone here said the liver can bounce back.In addition, lots of people can get jaundice with cirrhosis.A Gi bleed can be serious I suggest you watch the documentary on Youtube rain in my heart very informative on the damage alcohol can cause.Good luck with quitting keep the faith.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

^ The liver’s very forgiving up to a point. My fatty liver (detected during a routine ultrasound) cleared up 100% within 8 months (I had a fibroscan) just because I stopped drinking. What a huge let off.

I 100% get the nervousness here. I had the fibroscan (privately) as I was worried, a lot. This was in Asia, and it cost the equivalent of £150 or $170. Money very well spent - although many many people take a good result as an excuse to continue drinking. No no and no. I’ve been given a massive second chance, and you need to take your second chance at life too
Old 11-03-2022, 03:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
I don't have cirrhosis, but had fatty liver and errosive esophogitis from drinking. Diagnosed with blood work and sonogram for fatty liver and upper lower endoscopy for the GI issues.
(Vomitting blood was a pretty big symptom too.. )
I was on reflux meds for a while to stop the bleeding and related anemia

Today I'm 2 and half years sober. My liver numbers in my blood work have been normal for a while and I haven't needed reflux meds for years. My primary doctor suggested maybe redoing the liver sonogram next year.

Congrats on quitting drinking I hope.you get to the doctor and get checked out
Thats exactly what I think I was having bouts of. I have no stomach issues if im not drinking. Or even if I drink in moderation. Its when I go days and start wreching that it really flairs up. As far as my live we shall see. Right now not drinking I feel great. Eating like a horse and have my energy back. Preying when I get checked out its not as bad as it could be.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My liver values were not good when I quit, but soon improved and now are completely normal. Stay sober and see a doctor for a full Liver Function Test, or an lft as they'll appear on the bill. Why worry yourself. Get and stay sober and see a doctor. Eat right and moderate exercise and lots of water. You'll likely be ok.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
My liver values were not good when I quit, but soon improved and now are completely normal. Stay sober and see a doctor for a full Liver Function Test, or an lft as they'll appear on the bill. Why worry yourself. Get and stay sober and see a doctor. Eat right and moderate exercise and lots of water. You'll likely be ok.
I must say... i feel great. So good im bored a lot lol.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have a question for you. Does the "ax" in your name refer to a guitar?
Old 11-04-2022, 08:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good to hear that you are feeling great, Axkiker. Sobriety and recovery bring many gifts.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:56 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I had the same thing - liver test was all elevated. Back to normal and fine now once I quit drinking.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I have a question for you. Does the "ax" in your name refer to a guitar?
HAHA no im the least musically gifted out there. I used to compete in martial arts and my favorite kick was an Ax kick and pretty soon my nickname was AX.