Notices

A fairly short read on the Problem of Immediate Gratification

Old 10-24-2022, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A fairly short read on the Problem of Immediate Gratification

From https://medium.com/the-ascent/a-pigs...n-92c4206fee51, based on SMART Recovery. It's something I remembered from SMART and after googling, this article came up and summarises it quite well I think: something I - and I'm sure all of us - can relate to. Day 7 for me.

​​​​'A PIG’s Method Of Instant Gratification'

"We who are followers of the SMART Recovery Model, agree that there is a model/method related to defining and understanding Instant Gratification, known as the PIGMethod.

PIG standing for, The Problem Of Immediate Gratification. This problem, stems from how a Trigger can lead to a thought, or craving, which builds into an urge. Then onto using. We use to do what we think is feeling better. Or to make us not feel awkward, to make us feel normal, both when we are alone, and maybe more importantly, when we are among others. I have written in the past about urges, cravings, and triggers, but have not discussed the PIG Method until today.

SMART Recovery states that “the problem with the PIG, is that immediate gratification often has greater influence on us than healthier, delayed rewards. Repeating the pattern reinforces the PIG.”

Submitting to triggers, urges, and or cravings, seems to do a backwards type of building of power and strength. For me, that was what made it so much more tough, when I would use, when I was already 75, 80% done with quitting Cold Turkey. It was almost always that at that point, where I would almost NEVER get back on to the Cold Turkey Train, once I’d slipped up. I was just way too fragile, with still being only on the active phase of Cold Turkey. I would be right back, off to the races, into full blown active addiction, like I had never even stopped. It also most certainly escalated ten fold when it came to tolerance jumping up, and amount of use I jumped up to.

It just always boggled my mind, and in a way amazed me when the truth about how much more powerful, and worse each and every relapse would be. They were certainly telling the truth when they said that it happens that way. Within instant moments, our instant gratification got the worst of us, where the addiction would be so much more lethal each time. It absolutely, is always much worse, stronger, faster, and more powerful with each and every relapse, month, after month, year after year.

Minor, Small problems, once again, are big, huge, & dramatically catastrophic. Maybe not in the real world, but in our own minds for sure. Therefore, we can rationalize better then ever, as to why we “need” to use. We are at it again, believing our own nonsensical ********. It is that type of behavior, and more of it then ever, that seems required just to hold ourselves up.

​​​​​​Normalcy causes us the most discomfort. Social Events, Family Functions, Employer Function, both work wise, and socially as well. Smart Recovery says “we may start looking for, or even inventing triggers, just to be able to have any excuse under the sun to use. We may create urges. We begin to want any excuse we can to act out.”

Once again, we are at that phase, where it seems very impossible to get help, quit, or escape. Repeating the cycle is all that seems the permanent normal. Are we truly doomed forever? Is the only options we’re looking at Prisons or Overdose Death?

The most compulsive, obsessive, and addictive of all behaviors can, and do stop for good every single day. Nothings impossible. The only impossibility, is a normal life, with no consequences, while living a life actively addicted."
Old 10-24-2022, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Interesting read Tet - never heard of the PIG concept before - thanks

D
Old 10-24-2022, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow. I believe this happened to me. This weekend was my first sober weekend and at times when I felt overwhelmed or nervous my shaking came back.I think it was a way of my body/brain trying to trick me into old ways drink. I didn't but I thought it was strange because it came back in those moments. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-24-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What an interesting and helpful acronym for a problem we face in drinking and other situations like dieting, playing with our smart phones, whatever. PIG (Problem of Immediate Gratification) is gratifying, but only lasts a moment or two, while it works in direct opposition to reaching a more satisfying goal. It's how a pig operates, but you can forgive the pig, because it it's only future lies in it's own slaughter. But we are humans, capable of formulating goals and better accomplishments. The problem is that we haven't evolved in a way that guarantees such a bright future. We still have it in our nature to act like pigs in a pen. I think this is an excellent perspective, and I'm going to embrace it and remember what I'm really doing the next time I feel like reaching for the comfort of another peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Thank you. I think this is a good one to make a part of our conscious mind. What a great post, Tetrax!
Old 10-24-2022, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I found that my fantasies of drinking were always better (more thrilling and less plagued with consequences) than actual drinking. I may have actually preferred the fantasies to actual drinking, although that is where they would eventually lead. My brain, in unchaperoned moments, still likes to wander down those old paths. I could drink these things, and do these things, and feel so good, and there won't be any harmful side effects. As soon as I realize I am doing it I immediately change my brain's direction. Often I change my body's direction to facilitate the mental shift. The most common time for this is when I am just waking in the morning. I will abruptly get out of bed and start my day to terminate my lazy brain's drinking fantasy.

My problem with drinking to get PIG is that it cost me real joy. It was always a foolish bargain, and I am not making it ever again.

Rootin' for ya, Tetrax!
Old 10-24-2022, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It still baffles me that when we want to stop so badly, with every fibre of our being, that it is so hard. Thinking in a logical non addicted way, if we want to stop doing something we do. Job done. Yet my addicted brain made it such an sickeningly insidious battle with myself that I thought I would never conquer. Addiction is insatiable, soul destroying and a lost control of ourselves.

Recovery needs to be just as powerful with muscles flexed ready to expect the unexpected. As already said if we go back, we go back worse.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this, Tetrax! Thanks for posting it. I especially like their explanation of the process: "how a Trigger can lead to a thought, or craving, which builds into an urge. Then onto using.". I find that explanation brilliant.

The problem of Instant Gratification also underpins something I encounter with my hobbies..

G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome - when we rationalize purchasing something we really don't need, despite the negative impact (to the wallet).

Granted, that is a behavioral rather than substance addiction but I have both, and find the mental rationalization process very powerful for both, which is why I never debate my AV and shut it down immediately. It's also why it's better to take drinking off the table permanently - so we don't have the debate to begin with.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think this is pretty useful, thanks for posting. I'd even extend it a bit. We are all -- all of us -- capable of delaying gratification in many important life areas. Whether it's with sex, or working now for a paycheck at the end of the week, or even on bigger projects such as going to college or saving for a home. We all have experience successfully waiting for something that we can't have now.

For some reason, with addiction, we lose the clarity that delaying gratification is for our better good. We "know" it's unwise to drink, and yet we don't think in terms of delaying gratification and drinking later. So we have to not drink at all, in order to keep things in balance.

There's plenty of other things we never do, either: we never hit our boss in the face, and we never rob a bank instead of working, even though those things would bring us great reward. We don't say "well, I'll learn how to 'moderate' my robbing of banks, so that it doesn't become a problem." Instead, we just don't do it, because we can see the costs.

So we are all familiar with delaying gratification, but we don't do it with alcohol. And we are all familiar with never doing something we might want to do, except that we don't want to do that with alcohol.

I think it helps to think like this, because we realize we already do have the ability to delay gratification, and we already do have the ability to abstain forever from doing things that can hurt us. Realizing we're already good at those skills helps. You have the skills already. Recovery is just applying those skills to drinking.

Or something like that.

My point is that the healthy and mature part of our brain already knows how to not give in to cravings.

Alcohol cravings are different, the AV says. Maybe at first, but not after you build new habits.

(Just some idle musings here, not really intended to be universal truths.)
Old 10-26-2022, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Radix View Post
So we are all familiar with delaying gratification, but we don't do it with alcohol. And we are all familiar with never doing something we might want to do, except that we don't want to do that with alcohol. My point is that the healthy and mature part of our brain already knows how to not give in to cravings.
(Just some idle musings here, not really intended to be universal truths.)
It is perplexing why alcohol creates a different response that what we would ordinarily do. I guess addiction is a special case. Also, alcohol does change our body and brain chemistry over time, so that long term goals lose their importance, giving way to more immediate needs.

I have always been skeptical of the "One day at a time" strategy. It always seemed more like alcoholic thinking than normal thinking. Maybe some alcoholics need that strategy because they have become oriented to the "immediate," and if so, I don't want to discourage anyone from using a strategy if it works for them. My strategy focused mostly on my future. Focusing on today or just this minute is how I lived as a practicing alcoholic where the solution would be to drink.

I was young when I first heard my father, who was NOT an alcoholic and rarely drank, explaining something about his inability to get anywhere in life as he said to me, "I just try to live one day at a time." Even in my early teens, that confused me, and I have yet to make sense of it. If he was explaining why his life was stalled, my thought was, "Well for God's sake, quit living just one day at a time." But if it works for others, I don't need to make sense out of it. It's just words, and we each understand words and phrases in our own way, so those words may be quite profound to others.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I have always been skeptical of the "One day at a time" strategy. It always seemed more like alcoholic thinking than normal thinking. Maybe some alcoholics need that strategy because they have become oriented to the "immediate," and if so, I don't want to discourage anyone from using a strategy if it works for them. My strategy focused mostly on my future. Focusing on today or just this minute is how I lived as a practicing alcoholic where the solution would be to drink.
I understand the skepticism. Surely a rich, full life has some amount of time and energy invested in its future......Vacation funds have to be saved, parties must be planned, and experience must be acquired in order to advance employment opportunities. It is hard to understand "one day at a time" in the context of organizing a rewarding life. That's just not how this stuff works!

But I really only needed the "one day at a time" approach to tackle my immediate gratification problems. I would (still do, occasionally) get moments of intense nostalgia for use. Perhaps these are cravings. It's like my brain is elbowing me and raising an eyebrow. "Remember how great that felt???? Yeah?? Remember how you could just relax??? Remember what it's like to be without worry???Without pain??? Remember the SLEEP???"

And I CANNOT engage with this voice. I can pity it, but I don't argue with it. I just put my head down, earbuds in, music up, and refuse to participate in the nonsense RIGHT NOW. One day at a time, I ignore the noise so that I can focus on my future.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I understand the skepticism. Surely a rich, full life has some amount of time and energy invested in its future......Vacation funds have to be saved, parties must be planned, and experience must be acquired in order to advance employment opportunities. It is hard to understand "one day at a time" in the context of organizing a rewarding life. That's just not how this stuff works!

But I really only needed the "one day at a time" approach to tackle my immediate gratification problems. I would (still do, occasionally) get moments of intense nostalgia for use. Perhaps these are cravings. It's like my brain is elbowing me and raising an eyebrow. "Remember how great that felt???? Yeah?? Remember how you could just relax??? Remember what it's like to be without worry???Without pain??? Remember the SLEEP???"

And I CANNOT engage with this voice. I can pity it, but I don't argue with it. I just put my head down, earbuds in, music up, and refuse to participate in the nonsense RIGHT NOW. One day at a time, I ignore the noise so that I can focus on my future.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Old 10-26-2022, 06:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes DriGuy, I too would be loathe to belittle anyone who benefits from or believes in focussing on the present.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Double posted.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tripple posted!
Old 10-26-2022, 07:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post

Perhaps this puts "one day at a time" in a better perspective. Those "remember the days when..." is a call to a unsatisfying illogical past, rather than living in the present. Actually, all of us are living in the present whether we like it or not. We are physically incapable of being anywhere else. So then ignoring the "noise" for you is the business of the present. I too sometimes bask in past nostalgia wishing for things that were genuinely joyful, but now out of reach. I will say that when it comes to drinking, I have momentary thoughts, but there is nothing about actually drinking again that I associate with anything close to joy or contentment.

So "one day at a time" is (or should be) a very conditional thing that might apply in specific situations, but doesn't apply across the board. This is an example of what I mean by "words and phrases meaning different things to different people."
Old 10-26-2022, 08:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

This is a really interesting discussion.
And I really agree with this statement that DriGuy made:
So "one day at a time" is (or should be) a very conditional thing that might apply in specific situations, but doesn't apply across the board. This is an example of what I mean by "words and phrases meaning different things to different people."

I only apply "one day at a time" in a few situations:
1.) When I'm feeling uncomfortable or stressed out about something that's going on in my life that I can't really do anything about in the moment, or maybe I can't do anything about it at all, and I have to just get through it

2.) When I'm feeling shaky about alcohol (doesn't happen much at all anymore)
3.) When I'm feeling existentially overwhelmed in some way -- when the whole world seems to be going off the rails. This is when I have to remind myself to reign in my monkey brain and just try to live in the here and now and stop worrying about the future of civilization, LOL.

I am not the kind of person who can only live in the moment when it comes to my life and my vision for it. I feel better when I can have goals and work toward them. I feel "untethered" when I don't have have that. And I fear I'd become complacent and depressed. But that's me.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
3.) When I'm feeling existentially overwhelmed in some way -- when the whole world seems to be going off the rails...
I get that way have I have a lot things to do or deal with. When overwhelmed, I found that making a list in a small note book that fits in my shirt pocket puts things in perspective. My list is almost always shorter on paper than it is in my imagination, and I can begin tackling the issues (if indeed they even need to be tackled), and I can then deal with one at a time, crossing them off as I finish each one. It was an idea of my own, but I don't seem to need it anymore. I think doing it several times taught me that things are seldom as complicated as I think. Or maybe just knowing that tool is available is enough to bring me back on track.

Edit: That just gave me another thought. Having strayed from the topic a bit, it occurs to me that "staying on track" is much like my version of immediate gratification.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I see this thread became something of a ODAAT thread, which suits me, 'cause it's helping me right now to be honest. It's also good for anxiety I find. Basically, I've never been one for planning the future, nor - I doubt - will I ever be. Life is just too random and chaotic.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

DriGuy, I am a huge list maker. I have a list for work, and a list at home. They help keep me from losing it completely, some days.

Tetrax, how are you doing?