Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Don’t sweat the small stuff - Weekenders 21 - 24 October 2022

Notices

Old 10-19-2022, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Too Serious

Yep, that's me. I don't give myself a break. I've forgotten how to laugh. I analyse most everything. My brain doesn't get a rest. I worry about what might happen.

No misgivings for what I might have done, no hangover, no passing out drunk, no empty bottles to hide, no blurry eyes, no throbbing head , no hangover, full stop.

There are a lot worse people than me in the world, self pity has never been one of my faults, so forgive me if I sound like a spoilt brat who doesn't know she's been born, with all the other stuff going on in the world.

I am embarrassed how pathetic I can be. Just rambling. Please accept my apology in advance. How do I move on, I'm taking baby steps, firm and always going forward. What do I do now. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.”

This was a post from me at nearly 15 months sober, back in 2014. I had a steady footing on the Sober Road but I was lost. Constantly worrying about everything and anything.

My mind had been clouded with booze for so long and if truth be known it was always in my blood, being topped up daily.

Dee, in his inimitable way answered me with a good, common sense, matter of effect reply finishing with “Don’t sweat the small stuff”.

Something pinged in my head. One of those moments when some simple words in the right order made sense.

It takes practice! After all I had a ‘degree’ in ‘born worrier’.

Eventually it becomes easier to let go of things we don’t need in our recovery. Brush it off as we would a speck of dust.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 10-19-2022, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, in for another sober weekend!

Old 10-19-2022, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Thanks, Mags! Shotgun!

I’m getting less sweaty about ALL the stuff at this point, and it feels great! I didn’t realize how much anxiety affected my life until I stopped using/drinking to treat it.

Wow. Intense discomfort followed by a pretty nice stretch of months 😁. Grateful to be past that worry, and in for a sober weekend!
Old 10-19-2022, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on shotgun, ToughChoices

Mags, it was nice of you to pull up your post old post of 8 years ago. It also reminds me to not worry about things I can’t change or have no control over, which is a simple concept, but often hard to follow.

Kaily, I hope you are doing well and will be joining us for the weekend.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya and Congratulations on shotgun ToughChoices!

Hiya CaptainHaddock good to see you!
Old 10-19-2022, 10:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Shotgun TC.

Hi all, definitely in for a sober weekend! Great Post Mags, I'm definitely a born worrier and it can get a little out hand sometimes, it gets better the longer I'm sober though.

Have a great day all.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm IN for another sober weekend. This will be my 8th consecutive sober weekend.

A great opening post Mags, and one that describes me to a T:

Yep, that's me. I don't give myself a break. I've forgotten how to laugh. I analyse most everything. My brain doesn't get a rest. I worry about what might happen.

I could have written that. In fact, that sums up my entire life. Always overthinking things and never learning how to switch off my brain. It's why I started drinking to excess in the first place as alcohol was the only thing that helped me find an off switch. Or to be more exact, alcohol was the only thing that helped me find an off switch for a while, until the alcohol itself set my brain racing.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Britbird

Morning Robbie I did find my head settled down in time but with years of booze I’d had it took some perseverance just to let go. Congratulations on 8 consecutive weekends!
Old 10-20-2022, 01:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags! In for the weekend
Old 10-20-2022, 03:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was a very serious recovering (always,,,'ing'....never,'ered') alcoholic in 2015 when I fell into SR. I ran 3 meetings/week, spent hours researching , journaling, going to counseling, a psychiatrist, a psychologist , a GP, AA, and anything else I could find. None of it was/or is wasted. The more I learn, grow, change for the better....which is what I try to do-every day,1 more day sober, I more day to consciously be better than I was the day before . Practice, not perfection.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all and Worrier award winner here. Mr. A always says if there is nothing to worry about I will make something up to worry about. I am slowly getting better about it but not great. I am in for a sober weekend.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Worrying, thinking things through, and working diligently are positive, productive traits. Where would we be without them? I think it's just easy to fall into a rut and then not be able to disengage. Drinking was supposed to be the magic pill. Like all magic pills, it was too good to be true and just made matters worse.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is a tough one for me.
Like city I believe in thinking things through and being thorough.
It has helped me excel at a lot of things.
The work I do requires thinking many steps ahead to save a lot of grief later.
BUT the intrusive, petty worries and thoughts drive me nuts.
Is it just a side effect of having an analytical mind or a sign of something else?
How does one turn it on when needed and off when it is harmful?

If anyone has the answer I will gladly pay for the cure.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN!

I am the same as Fishkiller. I MUST think things through, or I get even more anxious, and worry more. BUT there's a fine line between constructive planning and analysis, which requires thinking through possible scenarios and solutions, and unnecessary OVERthinking and worry. I would also play handsomely for the answer to how to turn it off when it becomes harmful. I am learning, but it's a very difficult personality trait to change. The key is in figuring out which worries are warranted, and which are not. Which worries can I do something about, and which are out of my control?
Old 10-20-2022, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning from Seattle! Just woke up, dropped the kids at the school bus stop now having nice south Indian filter coffee. Every day is a great day to wake upto!
Old 10-20-2022, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new Weekenders chapter Mags
A thread where I still feel at home on SR.

Count me in for another sober weekend ☼
Old 10-20-2022, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks mags I am in! I am also a born worrier, Overthinker with an analytical mind. Like alpine, MLD and fish killer. I really need to work on turning off the intrusive thoughts and not worrying about the small stuff and need to enjoy the things that I am blessed with. Instead of worrying about what if‘s constantly.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I see Liz Truss has resigned.

Hardly a surprise I suppose unless the previous guy gets back in. (I didn't care much for him either).

Politics are a very sensitive subject so I tend to keep my opinions about it all to myself. But it will effect Ireland as well.

My mother said something to me about Liz Truss and a lettuce? I said "mom, are you losing the plot altogether?" But after i Googled it, apparently someone bought a lettuce and videoed it with the headline "which will last longer? Liz Truss or the lettuce? Apparently the lettuce "won".

Very mean and I don't like that.

Although Irelands government aren't great either. I'll have to turn off BBC news now because its getting on my nerves - much like my mother.

Im in for the weekend by the way!

Take care all!
Old 10-20-2022, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Before folks run with the topic, just a gentle reminder politics is off-topic here at SR.

thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 10-20-2022, 05:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh I'm sorry about that. Apologies.

Tetra