Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Don’t sweat the small stuff - Weekenders 21 - 24 October 2022

Notices

Don’t sweat the small stuff - Weekenders 21 - 24 October 2022

Old 10-26-2022, 10:54 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

That is a beast of a bird captain. Do you sometimes get them near where you live or is that a complete one off?

It reminds me of a few years ago when I saw a pheasant walking slowly along a main road near to where I live. As I live in an urban / built up area this was a complete surprise. The poor thing looked a bit confused and it possibly never made it to the end of the day given how much traffic there was in the area plus how many cats there were prowling around the place! It was a big thing too.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:46 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Robbie, no this peacock would probably be considered an exotic bird that doesn’t occur where I live, unless it escaped captivity. When walking the dog this afternoon I heard the quack of a duck, followed shortly by the call of a peacock, coming from an enclosed garden nearby. So I guess the peacock found his way home - I somehow doubt that two male peacocks would get along well in the same yard and there are not that many people who keep farm yard animals as pets in a mostly residential, urban area, if you know what I mean

Yes, it‘s always sad to see a lost wild animal in distress. Sadly, I don‘t think attempts are necessarily always made to come to their rescue.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:00 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

So, did you call the bird people, dear Captain?
Old 10-26-2022, 01:28 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Suze, I don‘t know of any bird rescue centre nearby. There is a place about 250km away and they may even come out to assist, but probably only for certain endangered or rare indigenous species, such as raptors, cranes, vultures etc.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:39 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Robbie, no this peacock would probably be considered an exotic bird that doesn’t occur where I live, unless it escaped captivity. When walking the dog this afternoon I heard the quack of a duck, followed shortly by the call of a peacock, coming from an enclosed garden nearby. So I guess the peacock found his way home - I somehow doubt that two male peacocks would get along well in the same yard ...
Used to have peafowl: definitely, two males do not get along and would fight.
They're cantankerous birds at times anyway. Can reach amazing heights when they leap e.g. into tall trees to roost.
Very decorative
Old 10-26-2022, 06:25 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile I got my pkg today!!

Got my wrist/ankle weights just now. I took out four of the weight pods and each ankle weight is probably 3 lbs. I'm going to wear them around the house for a while to get used to them.

I just finished doing the rest of my PT exercises. Will start on the OT exercises tomorrow when I get the dumbbells.

Walking with 3 lb weights on my ankles is like wading thru mud.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:34 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Got my wrist/ankle weights just now. I took out four of the weight pods and each ankle weight is probably 3 lbs. I'm going to wear them around the house for a while to get used to them.

I just finished doing the rest of my PT exercises. Will start on the OT exercises tomorrow when I get the dumbbells.

Walking with 3 lb weights on my ankles is like wading thru mud.
Did they come with instructions, least?
I'd be inclined to go with the very lowest weight first, so you don't risk injury/strain to joints while you build strength and stability.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:52 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Did they come with instructions, least?
I'd be inclined to go with the very lowest weight first, so you don't risk injury/strain to joints while you build strength and stability.
I've been working with 2 lb ankle weights and 2 lb dumbbells for two weeks in PT and OT so don't think it's an excessive amount of weight. My exercise regimen was gone over by the Therapy department and the Nursing department so I think I have their approval.

Don''t worry, Im used to 2 lbs by now. . Thank you for your concern. It touches my heart.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my experience its better to wear them for an hour or so at a time then take a break. Wearing them all day (doing more of something must be better right? LOL) made me tired and more prone to falls...just my experience

D
Old 10-26-2022, 09:06 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2022-a.html (Trick Or Treat this Weekend? - Weekenders 28 - 31 October 2022)