Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Don’t sweat the small stuff - Weekenders 21 - 24 October 2022

Notices

Don’t sweat the small stuff - Weekenders 21 - 24 October 2022

Old 10-21-2022, 02:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Greetings, friends. I have missed you.

Internet was very spotty for the last month or so as we were out of town in often remote locations.

Very busy here, cleaning up from the devastating Ian. Meeting with contractors, insurance adjusters - none of whom agree with each other, all of whom strictly adhere their opinions. Who to believe????

Gratefully, everyone I know is alive, although to greatly varying degrees of ‘well’; two lost their home; two lost a good portion of theirs.

The name “Ian” will never be spoken without thoughts of the horrid devastation experienced by those only miles from us. Although (according to the reports of our neighbors) alligators and schools of fish swam in the 4’ of water which inundated our streets and nearly reached our homes, roof tiles flew off roofs and slammed into nearby homes during the deafening, sustained winds of 135 mph, lanai cages broke like twigs, screen doors flew like feathers and landed in places yet to be discovered, trees twisted and fell, we were among the fortunate ones and can count our blessings that we still have a livable home, although a wee bit worse for the wear and in exponentially better shape than some just a few miles away. The sights are gut-wrenching and heart breaking. I can’t bring myself to photograph the wreckage of others lives. I want to wipe the visions from my brain.

Definitely in for the Weekend. If I said that the thoughts of a drink didn’t cross my mind during the last few weeks, I’d be lying. Thankfully, just thoughts, no actions.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Prayers Alpine. Remember self care.
Tetra, yes there are good people out there, but I think in this age, we tend to assume the worst. That way there are no disappointments.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Oh, Alpine, I am so sorry.

Tetra, there are many good people in this world; I am so glad that one of them blessed you with his goodness. (I can honestly say that I have seen many at work in the last few days.)
Old 10-21-2022, 02:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Posted close 2gethee Leigh. Your words clearly define Ian. I'm thankful you made it through safe and your property is more or less intact.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

In for a sober weekend or trying. Really conflicted. Last month has been a challenge for me but I got through it. As always it's after things are over I struggle.

Also I was supposed connect with someone via phone today and she didnt call and I cant reach her. She is in her 70s so I'm kind of worried. It's incredibly unlike her.

Anyway take care all.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your friend makes contact with you itsmaria.

D
Old 10-21-2022, 04:19 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks all, things are kind of hecktic right now with everything. So very grateful to be sober ..Having a clear head, steady thoughts in order to help my MIL and Mr. A and give them as much support as I possibly can.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thinking of you Alpine with my deepest condolences. Surround yourself with love.

Leigh, l always have a deep concern for US citizens (as for those around the globe) who face Ian and other natural disasters. It's just heart-wrenching to see on the TV and I can't even begin to know what an experience of destruction that was for you. Be alert to having any PTSD symptoms OK

I'm IN big time!
Old 10-21-2022, 06:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Magsie

Leigh, good to hear from you. Such devastation left by Ian must leave it’s mark upon you and your neighbours. pleased you’re safe though the ravages of the storm.

ItsMaria, hope you hear from your friend.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:20 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend first one in a long time for sure. Looking forward to feeling good and enjoying being present. I'm a little nervous about it but all I have to do is not take that first drink! I think I can handle that.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:59 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. Thankfully, we were spared the storm in real life but even watching it on the news as it approached those we care so much about was traumatic. I do feel that some of our neighbors have a touch of PTSD; many aren’t sleeping and some are considering selling their homes once they are repaired; they feel that they cannot face another storm of the magnitude of Ian. I know that I can’t get what I have seen out of my head; the images are right there, clear as crystal, when I close my eyes.

Hope that you hear from your friend soon, itsmaria.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:55 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

End of Day 342 - Good night from chill Seattle.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya kensie, good to see you. I agree about looking forward to waking up with no hangovers etc. I never tire of it.

Goodnight calmself. Congratulations on 342.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
I am a Child of God

Sorry for your loss Alpine, sorry i am a little late with this , still have covid seems to be taking a while to go away , i got an appointment for my bone marrow biopsy its the 15th of November , but i am just taking each day as it comes , what ever happened i know i will be clean and sober that day and what ever the biopsy results are .
Kinda relaxing listening to music this morning my partner is still sleeping , not got that much on today , maybe do some positive quotes that i like to write down by hand it relaxes me , maybe even make myself some coffee .
Old 10-22-2022, 01:38 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Lily that sounds like a peaceful way to start the day.

I'm sorry to hear of others struggling with the storm. Very scary stuff. Where I live we are fortunate to.not have weather like that, I can't imagine it.

Slept but woke up now. I found contact info for my friend's colleague (she still works at a university) so I will wait a couple weeks or something I guess to see if I hear from her. But she has never just not shown up or contacted me before.

She is.more like a mother to me, has been since 1998. Long story. Not really in touch with most of my own family. Don't have too many people in my life.

Have some plans for tomorrow- errands. The afternoon always challenging.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:00 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sorry if I am not acknowledging everything here and I don't feel right giving excuses.because everyone has things going on in their lives. I will try to pop in later to catch up.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:12 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Late to the party, but I'm in.

Happy sober Saturday everyone.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:30 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Ah I heard from her. Really glad but I dont know what's wrong with me, I just immediately go off a cliff and worry about the worst always happening.

Anyway thanks for bearing with me
Old 10-22-2022, 07:50 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Weekenders.

What began as a day for sunscreen turned into an afternoon thunderstorm. It has cleared now and the air is cool and fresh. I’ve said it before, but one of the things I like most about living in Africa are the the afternoon thunderstorms.

I’m looking forward to a lazy stay at home Saturday evening, perhaps with something special for dinner and then some television. Best of all, no fear of waking up with a hangover and all the anxiety and other negative things that come with it.

Wishing everyone a peaceful, sober Saturday.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:59 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you, Lily.

Glad that you heard from your friend, itsmaria.