Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I'm starting to fully accept that the choice is actually life or drink

Notices

Old 10-13-2022, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm getting there. I'm getting closer to surrender folks.

I just can't keep up this pretense anymore.

Last edited by Tetrax; 10-13-2022 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Grammar mostly
Old 10-13-2022, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, at bottom, that’s the choice a lot of us have had to make. It was hard especially in the beginning, but I’ve never regretted it Tetrax.

D
Old 10-13-2022, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes sink or swim Tetrax

Swim for your life, like there are sharks chasing you.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For pretty much all of us, yes, alcohol will kill us eventually. It's just a matter of when.

Keep fighting with everything you've got! You are fighting for your life and remember you only get one.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Goddamn I've gotta go to the dentist at half 10, drunk. I tried to postpone but because I never go yet have pain they're letting me have this one last chance? This is gonna be so ******.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Teeth pain is brutal. Go to the appointment Tetrax. You get to lie down at least, right?

D
Old 10-13-2022, 01:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You need to go Tetrax. They are dropping NHS patients at the drop of a hat and you won't be able to get another.

Apologise and explain that you have an alcohol problem. They are medically trained and hopefully will understand.

Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Teeth pain is brutal. Go to the appointment Tetrax. You get to lie down at least, right?

D
Lol yeah I guess there's that. I'm gonna go no worries let's just hope for the best. My furthest back left molar is rotting like crazy through alcoholic neglect.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I was wrong! It was only gingivitis. And it was quite nice lying down tbf.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drunk at the dentist. Been there. It made that situation worse also, just like everything else.

The anesthetic was less effective because of the alcohol in my system and the root canal brought a new definition of pain.

Another time while working out of town, woke up from a black out drunk to a broken tooth and excruciating pain on the drive home.

There was probably no aspect of my life that went untouched in a negative way by the alcohol.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
kes

Hi Tetrax,

Buddy I feel exactly the same, but I'm drawing on every reserve I have to keep going. Will I make it? I have no idea, but if I pick up, I know it's the beginning of the end.

Stay strong buddy, hang on in there and we'll do this together bro.

Good luck
Old 10-13-2022, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's what it came down to for me - stop drinking or die. I'd either have an accident or destroy my intestines - one way or another it was going to get me.
To say nothing of the emotional toll it was taking on everyone I knew. I was embarassed & humiliated by my reckless actions. There was nothing fun about it anymore. I wish I'd realized how ridiculous it was to cling to it for all those years.

You can leave it behind, Tetrax. A better life is waiting.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tetrax there's nothing bad i can tell you about a clean and sober life. Every day is different ups and downs yes, but a lot easier to deal with. I know, like we all do the beginning is difficult but keep at it, it only gets better. Read, listen and share what ever gets you there. Stay strong.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Tetrax, you’re getting there.

Our egos are often our enemy. A lot of people can’t quit because their ego tells they don’t have a problem. It’s our instinct to fight for things, but you and I and all of us have been well and truly beaten by alcohol. Wave a big white flag and admit you’ve lost the battle. Now run away bravely from alcohol forever I reckon the most humble amongst us are the most successful at quitting.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have seen where it ends Tetrax, yesterday a man collapsed near my house, drunk, incontinent, ill, having discharged himself from the hospital, yet still drinking a stolen bottle of whisky. He was rambling and jabbering about this and that, but he cared for nothing except his drink, as he glugged it down and p***ed himself in front of us. I guess that is where it can end. and worse. You can stop.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

You can do this Tetrax.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tetrax, there is the unfortunate end that awaits many if we keep on drinking. There is also the continuous, daily death of our true selves. Our real personalities, talents and potential drowning in alcohol; or too depressed, ashamed, and afraid to come out when we are dealing with a massive hangover. I wish you the best in your efforts.

I hope your tooth situation works out okay, too. I had to have a root canal one time while suffering from a pretty bad hangover - not fun!!
Old 10-13-2022, 04:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm facing the same choice, Tetrax. Never went to a dentist appointment drunk but can relate to the feeling of, "Oh jeez, I have to do this thing, and I'm drunk." Glad it was "only" gingivitis.

You can do it, man.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Even if you don't do AA I think the serenity prayer really helps, for almost anything.

Its like we hear it so often in recovery that its easy to forget. Almost like a truly great classic rock song that you've heard so many times its easy to forget how great it really is. Light My Fire, Smoke On The Water, its kind of a shame they get mixed in with popular, overplayed stuff.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change. The courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Thy will not mine be done.

Something so darn simple that can make so much difference. I just had a situation... Typical car thing, I ended up in a potentially expensive situation, no transportation, deadlines to hit, some work stuff I can do from home but it still makes a mess of things. I'm in a typical part of America with almost no public transportation. You're screwed without a car here. Just a textbook situation where the AV can come into play. It almost always blows over pretty easy in long term sobriety but this would have been really tough in the earlier days. I didn't come close to drinking but oh man do I get upset sometimes. This is exactly the type of thing that would have made me go off the rails in the old days.

Ok, so maybe I can't drive today. I have to accept that. What about all these parts and labor shortages? This could last through the weekend and into next week. If God doesn't want me to drive today then I'm not going to drive. Maybe I should be grateful for what's in walking distance and that I could Uber if I had to.

Just those few minutes to step back from stressful situations and be like ok, whats the next right move. God didn't carry out my will the way that i wanted him to. Its not important. The plan for me isn't what I thought. Don't get upset just see what the new plan is. You can't control everything regardless.

I remember the early days of facing DWI charges. God took me through it, somehow. I was so stressed over that and my felony cocaine charge. One day at time with that simple prayer. Sometimes the simplest things that probably sound so stupid, help so much. I ended with 4 months sober before actually having to face a judge. Judges can smell sobriety and it seems to put them in really good spirits.

Its like our entire thought process has to be reworked. Why do I get upset here? Why do I think this way? Why do I behave this way?

Its almost like surrender to life, to God. Not let go of the steering wheel and expect God to start driving but make the best of what you have at a given moment. Let go and try to find enjoyment in the small things.

These stressful situations will come up, be ready.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Coming to the conclusion that drinking was over for me was crucial, and hard, but now I’m so grateful. You can do it, Tetrax, and it will be worth every effort you make to be sober and stay that way. You are not alone.