Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Don’t Quit this weekend - Weekenders 30 September - 03 October 2022

Notices

Don’t Quit this weekend - Weekenders 30 September - 03 October 2022

Old 09-29-2022, 04:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I desperately need this thread this weekend.. I'm closing day 68 Thursday night. On Saturday we are taking a plane to visit friends for a 50th bday. It will be a massive drink and probably drug fest out camping with a bonfire. We have known these friends for 26 years and it's not something I can get out of.. The temptation to drink will be massive and I'm already weighing up what will happen if I drink.. I thought I was strong in my resolve but I'm kidding myself if I think this as it will blindside me and I'll end up drinking again..
Sorry if this sounds harsh bit that is 100% not true.
To become sober we must do Whatever It Takes.
If that means distancing ourselves from friends for a while so be it.

If they don't understand then, well I have my opinions.

I wish you the best but I would stay may happy tail home.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Melkin thanks
Old 09-29-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN!

Red, are you really sure you can't get out of it? Is it worth the risk? You are already weighing drinking -- that is a huge red flag. I see that as a sign that you are NOT READY to be around alcohol and drugs. When I was newly sober, I listened to my instincts when it came to what I should and shouldn't be doing and where I should and shouldn't be going. If I even THOUGHT it would be tempting, I didn't go. Full stop. And then there were times when I was caught by surprise, and got a little tempted when I was already someplace. But I ALWAYS had an escape plan, and I used it. I remember one time in particular -- it actually was a friend's birthday party. It was at a restaurant, and I was feeling good -- until I wasn't. This friend knew what I was going through. At one point I pulled him off to the side, told him I had to leave, and thanked him for inviting me. Then I was gone. No hard feelings, and I may have saved myself. I was about 4 months in at that point. You always have options. In this case, I'd say your best option might be not to go at all. At the very least, have a way of leaving.

I have been carefully watching the hurricane. My father seems to have been spared the worst of it. I texted him this morning to ask if he has power -- no answer yet, but he is often slow to respond. I'm sure he's fine. I hope anyone else who is in Florida (CityBoy, Leigh, maybe others) is faring well. It looks like a massive amount of destruction in the hardest-hit areas.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Red, we have been talking about this for a while now, and I understand your feelings; it is a major event in your life, and you are going. I know this. I also know that we talked about taking other things to drink. So, I hope you still do that. Give yourself a chance, love. s ❤️
Old 09-29-2022, 09:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
20km walked today....am almost enjoying it....great for losing the pounds
Overachiever! LOL.My doctor keeps getting on me to walk more.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend!

Thanks Mags!

Congratulations on shotgun BB!

If you do go Red tell them you're done with drinking and drugging (if that applies) If there are a few people aged around 50 then i'm sure there will be someone else thinking about quitting because that is the age it really catches you up. Good luck, whatever you decide.

I complained in last weekend's thread about not understanding some of the more leftfield modern advertising and marketing. No such problem with this place in NE London at lunchtime today. Bought a sandwich.

Attached Images
Old 09-29-2022, 11:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you CaptainHaddock, I certainly am, 9 months 😊 and thanks Mags and Saoutchik, I woke up at 5am much to my annoyance so was early checking in.

Red78 I really hope you manage to get through the weekend and don't drink, stay close on here. You've done so well getting to day 68 it would be sad to start over for one event.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Saoutchik, thats hilarious! Basic and very to the point!!! No surprises in that shop lol.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Red, I hope you get through the anxiety of that birthday party without falling back in. In early sobriety, not drinking again is the most important thing in life. Your friends will understand.

Most people I know have escaped serious damage. We've been through it so many times now. First thought, did everyone I know escape serious injury or damage. Second though - how much debris needs cleaning up and when will the power come back on (haven't lost power yet this time thank goodness). Third thought - how much are they going to jack up homeowner's insurance this time, or will they just discontinue it all together.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sau, it took me a while to figure out what my nephew meant when he kept describing things as being "sick". That term is probably considered ancient now. I've heard the term "crucial" being used recently in that same hipster kind of way.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So funny. I had no trouble with the weird sci-fi pizza sign, but that "food" sign does not cut it for me.

And yes CB, ancient indeed.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hang in there red.
I can't think of any situation where booze would help me. Playing the tape forward helps sometimes...the physical illness, consequences-injuries, breaking stuff, awful-clown behaviour... support to you.
0355 Friday...brain woke up...
Old 09-29-2022, 11:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
(((PJ))) ❤️

I hope the tea is soothing, and you find an old movie to watch. And then get some sleep. xx s
And congrats on the weight loss; that is fantastic!

Old 09-29-2022, 11:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I complained in last weekend's thread about not understanding some of the more leftfield modern advertising and marketing. No such problem with this place in NE London at lunchtime today. Bought a sandwich.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi, melki, love. Sorry I didn't say hi the other day; tough week. But HI ❤️❤️
Old 09-29-2022, 12:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

HI venuscat!
Old 09-29-2022, 02:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone.
This is a trip in an airplane over the ocean, I am going. We are going for a long weekend and we are doing a camera install on the Monday at our mates workshop, no way out of this trip and I want to go as we only see our best friends once a year as they live on a different island to us.
We will be camping out at a river in the Bush on the Saturday night, we have no car, there is no escape I'm there all night and more than likely no phone signal..

I was all set in my head to be doing this sober until yesterday when the AV chimed in and I think it's because mentally I've had a rough couple of days.
I've been playing the tape forward and I 100% know drinking at the bday is going to wreck my sobriety.
I will wake up in a car/tent hungover and freezing cold.
I most likely won't remember half the night and feel anxious as hell about what I did or said the night before..
I won't get to experience the beautiful Christchurch nature as I'll be drunk or hungover..
I will more than likely pick up again and not continue on the sober bus..
Plenty of reasons not to drink..

My partner has been not drinking with me but he will be drinking at this bday but he doesn't have the same issue as I do so he can easily not drink again for ages..
I plan to buy NA sparkling wine or some nice tonic waters, like a dozen of them and lots of sparling water as well..
What keeps me accountable is posting here as its harder to hide and just go ahead and drink, if I write it all out then it helps to diminish the AV and I feel stronger..
Thanks
Old 09-29-2022, 02:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you can stay sober Red

D
Old 09-29-2022, 02:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee..
Old 09-29-2022, 04:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I believe you can do it too, Red! Stay in touch here as much as you can. Excellent plan with non-alcoholic drinks. You'll come out so much stronger on the other side.