SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sober 2 years but started drinking again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/460672-sober-2-years-but-started-drinking-again.html)

andy1 09-22-2022 05:58 AM

Sober 2 years but started drinking again

Hi. I gave up drinking for 2 years, but I started again 6 months ago. I gave up drinking when I moved in with my girlfriend as I knew that drinking to the level I was before just wasn’t sustainable and the relationship wouldn’t have lasted with me staying up drinking on my own.

2 years of sobriety has really helped me and drinking started off fairly sensibly 6 months ago but it’s gradually creeping up again, and I know that it’s a matter of time before drinking becomes a real problem again. I’m glad that I’ve realised this and I’m trying to give up again now and I know that I can do it this time like I did 2 years ago.
I guess I started drinking because I was getting a bit bored, and I need to find some hobbies. I plan to do lots of running, lots of reading, and refind my spirituality and meditation practice. Day 1 today and I’ll keep close to sober-recovery.

fishkiller 09-22-2022 06:05 AM

Welcome!
2 years is great. You know how to get sober.
Stick around and figure out how to stay sober.

BornToBeSober 09-22-2022 06:16 AM

Sounds to me you just need to stay busy. I'd make a list of exciting things I want to do and/or always wanted to try. Start there and see how it goes.

Mizz 09-22-2022 06:42 AM

It sounds like you have come to the right place to recommit and make sobriety the priority. Welcome!

Anna 09-22-2022 07:21 AM

Andy, I'm glad you posted and that you realize that your drinking is a problem. Your plans will help you through this. And, there is always support here.

Hodd 09-22-2022 08:28 AM

Well done on day one, Andy. And massive thanks for the post. You probably feel down about having drunk again, but you’ve shown you have the strength to stop.

To be honest, before I came on this site, I’d always assumed I’d be able to drink again in moderation one day. I now know this isn’t the case. It’ll come across as self centred to say posts like yours have helped me, but they have and now I hope to reciprocate :)

SouthernSober 09-22-2022 09:11 AM

Welcome back. 2 years of sobriety is huge. Keep on truckin'.

mns1 09-22-2022 11:03 AM

Welcome back andy.

BornToBeSober 09-22-2022 12:47 PM

Keep posting. We got your back.

Dee74 09-22-2022 01:30 PM

Welcome back andy1 :)

One of the best things I ever learned was that, if I start drinking again, sooner or later I’ll end up back in that same old spot. It’s inevitable.

So..I never take, and never will take, that first drink.

D

Free2bme888 09-22-2022 03:21 PM

Welcome back !

So glad your thoughts of trying to moderate have been kicked to the side.

Stay close, eh?

Purplrks3647 09-22-2022 04:26 PM

Welcome back Andy! :wavey:

Delilah1 09-25-2022 12:39 PM

Welcome back Andy! Two years is great, so you know what to do. I found that getting out for some exercise everyday and finding things I enjoy at night (reading, streaming a face show…) to be really helpful.