Notices

Boundaries

Old 09-14-2022, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boundaries

Hi all! I'm Cremi. I am a 33 year old single mother. I'm very new to the ACoA program. In fact I avoided it for a long time because of fear. My mother is the alcoholic. I hope to be able to bring myself to get some of it out, you know, the 33 years of trauma that has controlled my life for so long. Two weeks ago, I set my first boundary, and its not going well. But at the end of the day, I need to take care of myself and my child, so I'm starting the program and seeking support. Thank you for listening and I hope to find the support I need, and I hope I can be that for someone else. Have a great day
Old 09-14-2022, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cremi View Post
Hi all! I'm Cremi. I am a 33 year old single mother. I'm very new to the ACoA program. In fact I avoided it for a long time because of fear. My mother is the alcoholic. I hope to be able to bring myself to get some of it out, you know, the 33 years of trauma that has controlled my life for so long. Two weeks ago, I set my first boundary, and its not going well. But at the end of the day, I need to take care of myself and my child, so I'm starting the program and seeking support. Thank you for listening and I hope to find the support I need, and I hope I can be that for someone else. Have a great day
Hey Cremi, sounds like you are making some profound changes and stepping out of your comfort zone. I really hope that you find some peace and growth from the program and you can begin to heal.

Good luck and sending positive vibes 🙏🏻
Old 09-14-2022, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
kes

Hi Cremi - Welcome to SR, you'll get geat advice here.

So your mum is the alcoholic? Does she want to stop. cos if she doesn't you've got your work cut out.

Does she acknowledge she has a problem, that's crucial in recovery. If she accepts she has a problem and wants to quit then you're halfway home. if not it's uphill I'm afraid to say. Stick around and you'll get some good advice and pointers for you and your mum.

ATB,

Kes
Old 09-14-2022, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cremi, welcome and good for you for beginning to set boundaries and to care for yourself and your child. It's not surprising that setting boundaries is ruffling feathers. I grew up with an alcoholic mother who was in firm denial and she didn't like it all when I distanced myself. But, it was necessary.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. . I know you'll find lots of support here.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, Cremi. I'm sorry for all you've been through.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cremi, sobriety is surprisingly wonderful, but we don't always see that the day we quit. I love my sober life, and I'm not going back.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/

hello cremi,
hope you’re still checking the board. the above link will take you to a forum where you’ll find lots if support for setting boundaries and taking good care of yourself vis-a-vis the difficulties with your alcoholic mom.