Notices

1 year and 8 months sober

Old 09-05-2022, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 year and 8 months sober

It's been a year and eight months that I have been sober. This was the exact time last time that I had relapsed. However this time I have been aware that it is possible to have a relapse where before I just assumed I would remain sober. Things are better being sober but I am beginning to feel like I have to do more to maintain my sobriety. The first year my only priority was to not pick up a drink. Now that I am well into my second year I realize that I want to join AA and do the 12 step program. I work for myself at home and most days I listen to talks from AA and the steps and I am blown away by the progress people have made for their wellbeing and I want that too. The pandemic made my isolation much worse than it had been before and I believe that isolation is the worst thing for addicts or anyone for that matter. Also, because I have been sober most of the people I hung out with before have stopped inviting me out because that is what they do is drink so I would like to start meeting some sober friends. Does anyone have any advice on AA and the steps?
Old 09-05-2022, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost 2 years. There is a 12 step forum on this site that is pretty good. Lots of information on there.
Do you have a sponsor? I think in person meetings are happening again in many places.

Happy Labor Day.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Khorhey! I didn't know that there was a 12 step forum here. I will go and check it out. Yes, I was going to join AA before the summer but because we were busy I didn't want to commit if I couldn't show up regularly and now that school is beginning and the kids are going back I want to get started. Especially now because I feel like I am not exactly thriving in my sobriety and at this exact point I had relapsed before and more than anything I want to stay sober. I don't have a sponsor but I want one. I think once I begin the process of AA I can find one. Thank you for writing in.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Casper. I am so very pleased for you.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Prayers for your continued sobriety and contentment.

Way to take the bull by the horns. I suffer too.

Your post helped me today.

Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don’t really have to join. Just show up when you can, meetings are open.

You are probably aware but there are zoom meetings all day online.

https://aa-intergroup.org/meetings/
Old 09-05-2022, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats cusper.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery, Cusper. It's so good that you're aware that you need to add something to your life to help support your recovery. I don't use AA, but I know that members always say you should try several meetings until you find a good fit.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

No advice to share, just my experience. The 12 steps of AA enabled me to live the life I always wanted for myself, comfortable in my own skin and with a quiet confidence that I now have the tools to deal with whatever comes down the pike, in a healthy proactive manner.

AA meetings won't keep me sober, but they are a wonderful and safe place to practice using the tools that I gained in working the 12 steps. Also they are full of like-minded people (sober focused) so that is a similarity that quickly opens the door to getting to know them better. Some become friends. Some become acquaintances. Some not so much. Basically a microcosm of the real world.

The 12 steps are outlined in the "big book" and give detailed instructions about working the steps. It is possible to work the steps without a sponsor, without meetings; but those are both helpful additions to a recovery plan. In early recovery, I lived on a island in the Caribbean where there was no AA whatsoever and where drinking was deeply ingrained in the culture, but I had my big book. I did discover an internet AA forum after awhile. That and I would occasionally go by boat to another island/country that did have AA meetings.

The main thing is that I was determined and open minded enough to find a way that AA would work for me in my given situation. Turns out it was only as hard as I made it. Actually it was way more simple than I imagined. I ain't going to lie though, the work of the 12 steps was hard, but the program (12 steps) itself is simple and straightforward.

I can't begin to describe the difference that working the 12 steps has made in my life. I am overwhelmed by the rewards. It has been worth every ounce of effort.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the congrats... hi soberleigh! good to see you! and Khorhey for the link. Yes, Anna, I think the meeting I went to years ago was not a great fit so I am hoping I can find one. And D122y I am happy my post helped and please feel free to message me if you ever want to. And Nez yes, I am going to get a Big Book today. (or order one) I know that it will be scary to do the steps but really after listening to these AA recovery talks on youtube are blowing my mind. I am going to find some meetings and try to figure out which is a good fit. I also will try some online ones as well. At this point I am determined to find a way through the issues that hold me back in life. Thank you so much for writing in with your experience. I want that quiet confidence that I can handle life when it comes along. My last relapse showed that although I was ok when I was sober I didn't handle it so well when many things went wrong I picked up that drink. I need to figure out how to deal with things when things go wrong. I really appreciate people writing to me today. I really needed it. I never want to go back to drinking and although it's been 20 months I still feel like a newcomer and have to do much work to remain sober and strong.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year and 8 months sober 🙏
Old 09-05-2022, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Cusper

D
Old 09-05-2022, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good Work!
Fight for the Freedom!
Old 09-05-2022, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome on your sober time, cusper. Thanks for your post.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats Cusper on your sober time. I am right there with you. My one year 8 month was August 17. Keep going🎉. I don’t do AA. SR is my AA. 😉
Old 09-05-2022, 10:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nez

I know that it will be scary to do the steps
Working the steps was no way near as scary for me, as was the thought of being sucked back into the clutches of my progressively worsening alcoholism.
Working the steps was scary, but in a good way because it held the key to a better future.
Returning to drinking is scary in a bad way because it holds the key to hell.
I escaped and I ain't going back. Continuing to live in the principals learned while working the steps, insures that I will continue to walk as a free man instead of being a dead man walking. What a concept!!!

FEAR
Face
Everything
And
Recover
...scary good, oh yeah!
Old 09-06-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Cusper on One year and 8 months. Good work!
Old 09-06-2022, 08:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Again thank you for all of the well wishes.
Nez, Yes! my fear of ever drinking again trumps my doing the steps which I know is necessary. I do live in lots of fears of many things. There are lots of thing I want to change and I feel like doing the steps will help me.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cusper, big congrats on 20 months sober!
Old 09-07-2022, 06:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations!