Notices

Alcohol... the straightjacket

Old 08-31-2022, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol... the straightjacket

I used to think of alcohol as a warm blanket, a good friend, a comfort - the only thing that could still my racing mind, calm my anxieties, and bring me peace.

But I can see now I wasn't wearing a blanket. It was a straightjacket. It wrapped around me like a vice grip and sapped me of energy, motivation and coping skills. It was all an illusion of peace. And the harder it squeezed, the more I felt like I needed it. In my first several months of recovery I still felt like I was missing out on something, I grieved it like a loss... but I had only to gain by taking on the rest of my life sober.

To folks in the throes of addiction right now, imagine breaking free... a year or two later you may have a totally different view on where you are now. Tear off the straightjacket. Breathe free air. God bless.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo;[url=tel:7846917
7846917[/url]]I used to think of alcohol as a warm blanket, a good friend, a comfort - the only thing that could still my racing mind, calm my anxieties, and bring me peace.

But I can see now I wasn't wearing a blanket. It was a straightjacket. It wrapped around me like a vice grip and sapped me of energy, motivation and coping skills. It was all an illusion of peace. And the harder it squeezed, the more I felt like I needed it. In my first several months of recovery I still felt like I was missing out on something, I grieved it like a loss... but I had only to gain by taking on the rest of my life sober.

To folks in the throes of addiction right now, imagine breaking free... a year or two later you may have a totally different view on where you are now. Tear off the straightjacket. Breathe free air. God bless.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Well-said Evoo.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for a great post 🙏
Old 08-31-2022, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Isn't that the truth. Thank you for the very effective re-framing.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
In my first several months of recovery I still felt like I was missing out on something, I grieved it like a loss... but I had only to gain by taking on the rest of my life sober.
I can relate to this fully. This is where I am. It is a process detaching once dependent and fear of missing out is what makes it more difficult for me. It's really insane.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
kes

Hi Evoo

I see it along very similar lines. It's to me a python in the jungle. It wraps around and chokes the hell out of you. The more you struggle and try and wriggle free the tighter its grip until you die a slow and lingering death, exhuasted and broken. It's the devil like the serpent in the garden of Eden. A classic conman, gains yout trust, tells you everything you want to hear, pretends to help you and then the STING. You've been had over and theres **** all you can do.

I was so badly ripped off by it. I despise it down to my core. It stiill "speaks" to me. saying things in my subconscious like I'm here anytime, you'll come to me, I wony come to you, good luck if you think you don't need me anymore etc etc. The best thing you can do with a conman is ignore them, don't give them the time of day and they move on, looking for the next victim.

I want to turn the table and choke the living day lights out the serpent and enjoy watching it squirm!!

Hope this makes sense guys, sound like a rant, but I absolutely hate it with all my heart and soul.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post and insight. Thanks
Old 08-31-2022, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great way to put it!
Old 08-31-2022, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post kes, the seductive serpent, wonderful analogue.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great analogy Evoo!
Old 08-31-2022, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is so very true. For those who think they can't get to the other side... I was one of them. For YEARS. It took a DUI to get it through my thick head that I cannot do this. I am only 160ish days, but 155 days ago I thought Not possible. I could go for a day, week or a month. But ALWAYS right back to it. My ego told me that I could do this myself. I'd gotten myself into this mess, I could get myself out. I couldn't do it alone. I needed people, I needed support.

Although I am still fresh from alcohol, I feel so very much better all the way around and in every aspect.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It was definitely a strait jacket for me. . So glad to finally be free of it .
Old 09-02-2022, 05:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I remember something someone said in AA: "Alcohol gave me wings to fly, but took away the sky."
Old 09-02-2022, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is the second long-term-perspective-post that I’ve come across today and I needed both of them. Thanks for sharing your insights.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post, Evoo, what a fantastic and accurate analogy.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post! It is indeed a straight jacket.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great post and analogy Evoo!