Notices

Made it thru day 1 on day 2

Old 09-01-2022, 03:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

awesome!
Old 09-01-2022, 06:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

End of day 4. Still Sober! Had a productive day, spent 2 hours with my new
Grandbaby. Had a light supper then a vanilla ice cream cone. Doesn't get much better than this.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
nez

Keep up the good work!
Spending time...sober...with new grand-babies is the absolute best. I can remember thinking..."you will never know me drunk!". How cool is that!!!
Old 09-03-2022, 03:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
kes

Way to go TB, impressive! Keep on going and you'll make it. For real

Enjoy your time with the new bambino. What a focus for you to stay sober! The best
Old 09-03-2022, 03:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well done Travelbug…Good to see you!
Old 09-03-2022, 04:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

DAY 5 This was a big day for me. It was the worst of my cravings, but also the day I decided to make a commitment to permanent abstinence. I think that commitment played a big part in turning those cravings into passing and manageable thoughts. It may also be possible that 5 days for me was just the length of time it took for my cravings to become manageable, but I associate that change with my commitment.

People often offer advice on how to manage cravings. They are things that distract us like getting up and doing something, taking a walk, anything that lessens the cravings. I think my distraction was a 24/7 commitment to never taking another drink, but there is no way to know that with certainty. What I do feel certain about is that cravings must get to a point of manageability and then gradually disappear, and that a full commitment to never drinking again is necessary to success, well certainly to my success anyway.

There are still some very tricky waters to navigate after that, but these can be approached with logic and reason, rather than with strong willed endurance. Also, Day 5 is not a magic day. The day we turn the corner is not always 5. It can take longer. But when that happens, some people call it a miracle. Call it whatever, it was certainly profound in my case.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Keep up the good work!
Spending time...sober...with new grand-babies is the absolute best. I can remember thinking..."you will never know me drunk!". How cool is that!!!
What a great way to say that, "She will never know me Drunk." I will use this daily. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kes View Post
Way to go TB, impressive! Keep on going and you'll make it. For real

Enjoy your time with the new bambino. What a focus for you to stay sober! The best
This is a gift to myself. Stay sober to stay alive to see her grow up.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
DAY 5 This was a big day for me. It was the worst of my cravings, but also the day I decided to make a commitment to permanent abstinence. I think that commitment played a big part in turning those cravings into passing and manageable thoughts. It may also be possible that 5 days for me was just the length of time it took for my cravings to become manageable, but I associate that change with my commitment.

People often offer advice on how to manage cravings. They are things that distract us like getting up and doing something, taking a walk, anything that lessens the cravings. I think my distraction was a 24/7 commitment to never taking another drink, but there is no way to know that with certainty. What I do feel certain about is that cravings must get to a point of manageability and then gradually disappear, and that a full commitment to never drinking again is necessary to success, well certainly to my success anyway.

There are still some very tricky waters to navigate after that, but these can be approached with logic and reason, rather than with strong willed endurance. Also, Day 5 is not a magic day. The day we turn the corner is not always 5. It can take longer. But when that happens, some people call it a miracle. Call it whatever, it was certainly profound in my case.

**What a great post. Thank you so much.**
Old 09-03-2022, 10:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This is my day 6. Feeling great. Loving life!
Old 09-03-2022, 12:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

TB, I was thinking about you today on my walk, and even though we don't know each other I want to say how proud I am of you. I/we all know how tough this journey is, and everyday you get stronger and stronger. Keep up the awesome work.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Doing awesome travelbug.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Alpine. Thank you so much for the kind words! That made my day! I am on day 7 of sobriety and feel so alive. There are so many things that I feel that I have messed out on while drinking. I want to make up on lost time.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It’s a different world without booze. Good job just keep stringing together hours, then days and keep going. There will be times your AV talks/lies to you. Plan ahead and be prepared to go to gym, walking and let that pass. Stay busy.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Enjoy and embrace the freedom
Old 09-04-2022, 08:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
nez

Congrats on day 7!!! Keep up the good work!

I too remember wanting to make up on lost time. My efforts in that direction wound up adding to my stress levels and left me feeling like I was spinning along in a hamster wheel. I stepped off the wheel and concentrated on embracing the current moment doing my best to be fully present for my life as it was actually happening. I came to the conclusion that I only lose time to the past or future, never in the present. When I can do that, I find myself silently saying "Thank you" a lot, as I fill with gratitude at the gifts I am being given at this moment.
Sometimes we spend so much time and energy thinking about where we want to go that we don't notice where we happen to be.– Dan Gutman

Old 09-04-2022, 08:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 7. Those early days are so crucial- you're doing it. It gets so much better- just believe what you are being told here and keep on going. You're doing great.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on day 7 travelbug. Good work.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 7 TB ❤️
Old 09-04-2022, 04:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
kes

Hi TB,

Just a thought for the new bambino, put some of the money you'd have WASTED on alcohol to one side and use it to spoil your new arrival rotten!!!! You'll enjoy the smile on her face a million times more than drink could ever take you. That's a great focus, turning your tears of sorrow into her tears of joy!

Good luck and you've made a fantastic start Grandpa!!!!