Notices

How do you stop?

Old 08-31-2022, 07:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I never thought I would be where I am today either. My Mom drank heavily pretty much everyday I was growing up and I always said I would never drink. Well...here I am. What has been helping me is: I run the tape forwad of what happens when I drink and I do not like what I see, when I get the desire to drink I think of all my SR friends here and think what they would tell me, I spend time here, write in a journal of positive qoutes and things I am grateful for even if it is as simple as a comfortable bed, try to keep myself active to distract myself with hobbies and or physical activity. It is darn tough but you can do it.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi tumbleweed - it's so good to have you here. I'm very glad you want to make this big change in your life.

We know you can stop - even the diehards among us have done it. I include myself in that category.
I drank every day in the end - it was always in my system. I never imagined I'd be able to live without it. After all, it had once been fun, exciting, relaxing - but that was long ago. I was dependent on it when I found SR. I no longer felt happy when I drank - I was miserable & trapped. Posting & reading here every day helped me to not feel alone anymore. We know you can get free.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Find a way to feel OK without alcohol.
It seemed impossible when my brain was lying to me about how miserable I would always be without alcohol.
Being free of it was worth every second of the struggle.
I highly recommend it.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was at a point in my drinking that all I wanted was OUT. If I never experienced another moment of personal growth, new passions, better health, or more interest in life, I would have been perfectly content just being unchained from alcohol. At least I think so. But in fact, I experienced all of those things and more, which was a surprise, because I never expected anything other than just being out of that nightmarish addiction. We talk a lot about searching or working on self to solidify one's recovery, and I think that is important, but for me, it seemed to be a natural outgrowth of being free.

At times, years of sobriety would go by, and in one of those periods of taking stock of my life, I would realize so much had improved since the last time I took stock, and I wasn't even aware of it while it was happening. There is always something to be grateful for, even when you aren't paying attention.