Notices

Waking up to Sobriety- Weekenders 26 - 29 August 2022

Old 08-24-2022, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Waking up to Sobriety- Weekenders 26 - 29 August 2022

‘Waking up to Sobriety’ a few words that mean so much.

Initially I’m thinking Yes! It’s a good feeling having zero hangover when I wake up in a morning.

Then a deeper meaning for me is that I woke up.

I woke up from the drudge of alcoholism.

I am an alcoholic. I always will be.

Difference now is I’m a sober alcoholic.

I have no qualms that if my sober muscles weakened and my sober tool box got rusty , neglected and not used, I could easily convince myself into the depths of alcoholism again and be an active drinker.

Being sober I know the formula for staying sober. It’s not difficult. Anyone can use it and adapt it to their own preferences.

I read a post Dee had wrote in a reply and liked the analogy he used. (Hope you don’t mind me using it Dee).

“for me continued living in recovery is kind of akin to a car.

You've got to maintain it regularly, you've got to put the right kind of fuel in it...and ...keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel...

If that sounds like an ordeal or an unhappy existence. its really not.

My 'car' takes me wherever I want to go, over all terrain, all weathers, and all manner of fellow travellers, and I know it will never let me down”.

~

The longer I’m sober the more I realise it was worth the withdrawals, the uncertainties, the anxieties I felt at the beginning of my journey….. to wake up to sobriety.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 08-24-2022, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not calling it.

Really feeling bad tonight. The pain/pressure in my back feels like something tightening around my chest and back. Like giant hands squeezing me. . I'm due to take my bedtime dose of my pain med, and will take Billie out and hope she goes so we can go to bed. My sleep last night was broken and not sound. I was waking up every hour or two. I didn't feel rested when I got up at 9. . I have no appts tomorrow so will try to sleep in until I'm rested.

Just took my bedtime Norco and about to take Billie outside to see if she'll pee. All I want to do is sleep....
Old 08-24-2022, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Shotgun!!!

Got to remember that I’m a blessed, recovering individual!! Gotta maintain this vehicle if I want to get some good miles out of it!!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on Shotgun, ToughChoices!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Rest well Least
Old 08-24-2022, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
kes

Remember you need a good insurance policy when driving, that to me is a higher power, sobriety meetings, SR, will power and supportive friends. The best poicy there is should I ever prang.......... and It's free!!!
Old 08-24-2022, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

We have a lot of rain and impressive lightning flashing across the sky. Only a few rumbles of thunder so far. I wish I had some grass seed to throw down for my poor lawn, it would water it in nicely.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!
Old 08-24-2022, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Billie finally did her business so we can go to sleep.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Night night Least and Billie. Sweet dreams

kes, fine point you made there.

Kaily we’ve got a smidgeing of rain, no thunderstorms yet but forecast. You’ll soon see fresh sprouts of grass shooting through. MIL’s is the same and ours too. Mind you a few grass seeds would help it along I’m sure. How’s Alfie and Daisy with the storms.

Hiya Free2beme
Old 08-25-2022, 12:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was definitely up to no good on that other road….I’d like to stay on this one with you all!

Count me in for the weekend….Oh yeah I’m signed up for a meditation retreat this weekend, but it’s close to home and I can still check in with you guys….just might “unplug” a little more than usual.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Enjoy your meditation weekend Purps
Old 08-25-2022, 02:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'll get a little place in my yard. . I could gather dark clouds too. Woke up after a few hours. I want to have longer sleep periods. Working on that.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags!

purps, I was on that ‘up to no good road, too’. We probably passed each other a few times or were broken down along different sections of the road. (Enjoy your meditation weekend!)

In for the Sober Weekend.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am in
Old 08-25-2022, 09:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Back for another sober weekend. Least, I hope you get a much better night's sleep! I despise those nights with lots of wake-ups.

I usually wouldn't post so early (it's only Thursday morning here) but my boss would like to take my co-workers and I out for a "happy hour" tonight to celebrate some good work we've done. Interesting how everyone seems to assume that we would all want to go to a happy hour (not that I don't appreciate having a great boss and her great gesture, because I do.) I chalk it up to others without drinking problems (I know, assumption on my part), not realizing that it could be a problem for those with a drinking issue.

So, it will be up to me to order something non-alcoholic, which I will do. I am so grateful to read the quote from Dee in Mags's post and Mags's thoughts on using the sober toolkit. Yes, I was reminded, I do have tools for dealing with tonight, and it may be hard but I can do hard.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Gonna be waking up to another sober weekend!

Thanks Mags, it's always worth putting in print what people know instinctively on an intellectual or dispassionate level - that once you have been sober for a few months, staying sober gets a whole lot easier. I couldn't read that often enough in the beginning because it didn't feel like it was ever going to get easier in the early days. After over 7 and a half years of not picking up it really takes no effort at all. I post on SR (which doesn't count as effort because it's a pleasure) to remind myself how it was and if I can pass on anything constructive then so much the better.

Welcome to Weekenders ToughChoices, kes!

A Taste of Honey were not pioneers but it was most unusual to have women on both lead and bass guitar in the 1970s. They were superb musicians too.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags1!

I think about health. Is what I'm putting into my body good for me? I used to rarely (if ever) consider this, I thought people who worried about that stuff were nuts -- they didn't know how to "really live."

How wrong I was. This body, this heart - it's temporary, and I only get one.

This is an infusion weekend for me! Up to the clinic tomorrow for Crohns treatment. I'm still in full remission . Today I'm going to hit the gym and I mostly plan on spending time with the family/kids and working on my grad school stuff outside of work. No room for alcohol in any of that. Happy weekend!
Old 08-25-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey everyone I'm just 2 weeks sober today and have had a little wobble today about allowing myself ' a couple' of drinks tomorrow evening - and we all know where that leads!
I have a hike with my sister planned for tomorrow and little else all weekend.
Its a Bank Holiday weekend here in England where I would normally spend the 3 days drinking by myself to block out that I'm alone.
Avoiding going out other than to buy wine so I don't have to look at the happy families enjoying the long weekend 😔
This is a trigger for me so I thought I'd check in here to try and keep myself a little bit accountable.
I hope everyone has a nice weekend x