Notices

Misery

Old 08-27-2022, 04:20 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Oh, and I ran 7K today
Old 08-27-2022, 04:37 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I guess we're all very experienced drinkers, but some of us less so on being experienced at sobriety.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:41 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

^ more than I did. I might run a bit later, but you’re obviously more of a morning person than me!

I guess if you had cirrhosis, your liver wouldn’t work so well, and that’d be picked up by a blood test. The idea of a blood test, though, is to see any problems before you get to that stage. I’m going to get a bit heavy now - the liver doesn’t have any pain receptors so there aren’t any symptoms for liver problems. A friend of my wife (about my age) ended up with really bad cirrhosis from drinking. He had no idea, although he must’ve been very poorly and unfit (definitely no 7k runs). He ended up having a transplant recently, but I really don’t think you’d be running 7k with liver problems. You still need to stop, though.

That story makes me feel uneasy for so many reasons. Firstly, I reckon it would’ve been me if I’d carried on for another five years. The idea of a transplant horrifies me. I personally would struggle with having the liver from someone else (who’d be a lot younger as donors have to be), and I’m not worthy or valuable enough to have it over someone else. I can’t even imagine. Luckily, I (and you now you’ve quit) won’t have to face that.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:57 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

But can't cirrhosis develop way after you quit??

Thank you, I knew the liver didn't have pain receptors and that is why it is so damned dangerous.... arghhh....

I appreciate your post
Old 08-27-2022, 05:09 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

^ As you might’ve guessed, I’m not a doc 🤣 but the answer is no. Once that burden of alcohol is removed, the liver will start to regenerate (as long as cirrhosis hasn’t already started). It won’t get worse after you stop drinking unless there’s an unrelated condition like hepatitis.

I was also very concerned. I had a general ultrasound which showed a fatty liver. I quit anyway a few weeks later but had aches and pains for months. I thought I’d better get checked and paid for a private fibroscan. All was fine, but an added bonus was all the liver fat had vanished, in just a few months. The doc had no explanation for the aches, but they went soon after and haven’t been back in 3 years.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:15 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carpetcleaner View Post
But can't cirrhosis develop way after you quit??
I honestly don't know, but if it does, that is no reason to keep on drinking: ("Well, I might as well keep drinking since I'm going to die anyway.")

I don't know if that was part of your thought process, but it sent a chill down my spine. If I paraphrased you wrong, it's my mistake, but if there is something there that rings a bell for you, it's the mother of all AV strategies. We talk about our AV here a lot. It's the center of much of the program of Rational Recovery, and something we learn to deal with.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I honestly don't know, but if it does, that is no reason to keep on drinking: ("Well, I might as well keep drinking since I'm going to die anyway.")

I don't know if that was part of your thought process, but it sent a chill down my spine. If I paraphrased you wrong, it's my mistake, but if there is something there that rings a bell for you, it's the mother of all AV strategies. We talk about our AV here a lot. It's the center of much of the program of Rational Recovery, and something we learn to deal with.
No Driguy, it's the total opposite. I am terrified that if I stop now I'll still get it, but I'm never of the 'I'll just on drinking as I'll die anyway' opinion. So I need to stop now.

Which is why I have posted recently that I'm worried I'm too late.

I look at my child and I have too much to live for. Approaching 50, I've totally screwed decades up.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
~sb

What are you too late for? Sobriety?? Never too late!!!
Old 08-27-2022, 05:50 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
What are you too late for? Sobriety?? Never too late!!!
Sorry if I haven't been clear....too late in case I already have health issues, physical ones. I need to get to that doc.

I definitely know I'm not too late for a sober life 😌
Old 08-27-2022, 05:58 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Instead of looking at the regret, I'll paraphrase the Big Book of AA and say, "Get into action!"

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on the internet very often, but I have spent some time in hospitals and gastroenterology departments because of my liver problems. In my understanding, no matter which way you cut it, quitting drinking now is going to be the best line to take. Now. Today.

The liver is super resilient - to a point.

And I agree with DriGuy, that bit about, "Well, I'm probably going to get cirrhosis years from now..." That is classic Addictive Voice.

Your blood tests are good. Worry about years from now when that time comes. In the meantime you can save yourself a lot of grief if you quit now.

I would add, it's not just liver problems. I know a guy in his 40s with a walker from bone damage from alcohol. There are other issues too, like early dementia, heart disease, vascular disease, tooth loss, vision loss, and the list goes on.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Instead of looking at the regret, I'll paraphrase the Big Book of AA and say, "Get into action!"

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on the internet very often, but I have spent some time in hospitals and gastroenterology departments because of my liver problems. In my understanding, no matter which way you cut it, quitting drinking now is going to be the best line to take. Now. Today.

The liver is super resilient - to a point.

And I agree with DriGuy, that bit about, "Well, I'm probably going to get cirrhosis years from now..." That is classic Addictive Voice.

Your blood tests are good. Worry about years from now when that time comes. In the meantime you can save yourself a lot of grief if you quit now.

I would add, it's not just liver problems. I know a guy in his 40s with a walker from bone damage from alcohol. There are other issues too, like early dementia, tooth loss, vision loss, and the list goes on.

I didn't say I will probably get it, I said I'm now worried that even if I quit 6 months ago, a year, whatever, that I will still go on to develop it even after fully quitting. I need a frank conversation with my GP. It doesn't mean I will carry on drinking which is where I think I've been misunderstood.

I know all about the other health issues. Dry eyes, parched skin, I bruise weekly from knocking into stuff, I sweat profusely, I have gum disease. Psoriasis is off the scale which is exerbated by booze. Felt depressed, under a therapist. On heavy duty meds. Have been for years.

I now feel like I can't carry on like this and your support helps me, thank you all

Old 08-27-2022, 06:23 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey guess what? I'm off ALL my meds (except thyroid) now that I'm sober. At one point (while I was drinking heavily and lying to my doctor about quantities) I was on eight different prescription drugs for various things, mostly related to migraines, blood pressure and anxiety. So many side effects, ugh. The drugs don't even work as designed with alcohol in the picture, but I don't need any of them now!
Old 08-27-2022, 06:27 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
kes

CC, There's no way you would run 7k with cirrhosis. A guy I was in detox with, had it and he couldn't walk half a mile without chronic back pain. If the whites of your eyes aren't yellow then that's a good sign. You'd get jaundis before cirrhosis.

Ask the quack for a full MOT on your body.Have a heart scan, as alcohol can lead to an enlarged heart that beats irregularly. They can test your blood for pancreitis. A friend of mine collapsed and was rushed to hospital. Whilst in there (for 3 months in ICU) he had 3 heart attacks. It was pancreitis plus liver and kidney failure. He's still alive and has made a good comeback.

I was terrified of getting checked out, but I needed to know where I was at in order to move forward. My liver function gammer test was 460. A normal, healthy liver straight is between 30-50. If it's 1200+ my doc explained you're staring death in the chops. After 49 days mine dropped to 34.

If I hadn't have had all the tests, I'd be well on the way to the end. I needed the scare CC to kick my ass into action.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:38 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kes View Post
CC, There's no way you would run 7k with cirrhosis. A guy I was in detox with, had it and he couldn't walk half a mile without chronic back pain. If the whites of your eyes aren't yellow then that's a good sign. You'd get jaundis before cirrhosis.

Ask the quack for a full MOT on your body.Have a heart scan, as alcohol can lead to an enlarged heart that beats irregularly. They can test your blood for pancreitis. A friend of mine collapsed and was rushed to hospital. Whilst in there (for 3 months in ICU) he had 3 heart attacks. It was pancreitis plus liver and kidney failure. He's still alive and has made a good comeback.

I was terrified of getting checked out, but I needed to know where I was at in order to move forward. My liver function gammer test was 460. A normal, healthy liver straight is between 30-50. If it's 1200+ my doc explained you're staring death in the chops. After 49 days mine dropped to 34.

If I hadn't have had all the tests, I'd be well on the way to the end. I needed the scare CC to kick my ass into action.

Hope this helps.
I've had a friend who drank whiskey to excess and ended up with pancreatitis. Yellow eyes and a catheter. Came through. I don't know if he's still alive 15 years later.

Another friend who died from a haemorrhage from excessive alcohol abuse.

A close relative who drinks wine for breakfast. A bottle by 11am.

Many of my family have abused alcohol and cigarettes. I smoked for 18 years, heavy, 20 a day.

I have other examples...

Thanks so much guys for these posts, they really do make me think.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:50 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Free.

I read “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace from front to back (skipped the testimonials at the start) . It re-trained my outlook on alcohol. After struggling so many times in the most egregious ways, for years, I finally feel some freedom to live sober.
I had to keep an open mind while reading through.

I’m the last person to swallow anything I see in literature. The eternal skeptic and pessimist, but this book worked for me. The author makes lofty promises, and somehow, delivers.

Just sharing a thing that worked for me.
Check it out, or don’t. totally up to you.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:56 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
I read “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace from front to back (skipped the testimonials at the start) . It re-trained my outlook on alcohol. After struggling so many times in the most egregious ways, for years, I finally feel some freedom to live sober.

I’m the last person to swallow anything I see in literature. The eternal skeptic and pessimist, but this book worked for me. The author makes lofty promises, and somehow, delivers.

Thanks v. much Tired, I've heard of this. I'm intrigued.

I have read Allen Carr, that stopped me in my tracks for a while. I need more don't I?
Old 08-27-2022, 11:04 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
RAL

Not sure if you are still drinking or stopped a few days ago. There is so much support out there. aa smart. Sr. Etc But the first step is throwing it all out and starting day 1. I know for me I can think about why and what if and worry about the future but i know that is the future and it will take care of itself. . It will all sort itself out once sober. All I can do today is not drink.

Of course if you are unable to do this alone then as others have suggested inpatient detox
Old 08-27-2022, 10:40 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
. All I can do today is not drink.
Indeed!
Agreed, this is the most important thing!

I could never think myself sober. Trying to was painful.
I had to observe, or get in touch with what I was feeling:
Tired.
Worn out
Ashamed.
Exhausted and exasperated.
Scared
Sad.
Hopeless.
Wanting something other than those feelings was enough motivation to decide: “ no alcohol, not matter what”.
That was a good start….

Yeah Carpetcleaner, Carr was one of Annie Grace’s motivating authors. So, probably a similar style.

Regardless of all of it, cherishing, and really wanting to live a sober life is the thing that is working for me today.

​​​​​​​

Old 08-28-2022, 03:29 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post

I now have this downloaded, Tired. Thanks for this suggestion. I am looking forward to getting stuck in. 🙂
Old 08-29-2022, 12:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carpetcleaner View Post
I now have this downloaded, Tired. Thanks for this suggestion. I am looking forward to getting stuck in. 🙂
Thank you Tired for this recommendation. It is very similar to A. Carr but I will read on as I'm only a chapter in.

I also didn't read the testimonials at the start, I'm already invested if I've bought the book