Notices

Day 1 … again ..

Old 08-21-2022, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 … again ..

So the pain in my shoulder was so bad I drank .. not excessively but I drank but have managed to stop before I truly go down a slippery slope. I went to see the ortho yesterday who says the humerus fracture has healed and it is likely an inflammation of the rotator cuff which is attached to it. He has arranged for me to have a steroid injection tomorrow ( tho there’s a problem with my insurance I need to sort out). Let’s hope it does the trick !
Old 08-21-2022, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ican ☺️❤️
Old 08-21-2022, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m glad to see you back Ican

I’ve no doubt the pain and is dreadful but our AV will use whatever it can - physical pain, emotional pain, fear etc.
Use what you’ve learned - this time be ready for the Av when it resurfaces cos I think it will.

D
Old 08-21-2022, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perhaps the following quote from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is relevant:

[T]he main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body. If you ask him why he started on that last bender, the chances are he will offer you any one of a hundred alibis. Sometimes these excuses have a certain plausibility, but none of them really makes sense in the light of the havoc an alcoholic's drinking bout creates. They sound like the philosophy of the man who, having a headache, beats himself on the head with a hammer so that he can't feel the ache.

As for me, I could not stop drinking till I fully committed to the recovery program of A.A. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hope the injection helps Ican. Don't let your AV convince you that you need alcohol to get through this. You know it's all lies.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The AV will use everything and anything it can to get you to drink. I think there are almost always other more productive ways for an alcoholic to deal with things.

Don't let AV trick you ican. Bounce back and remember for alcoholics any or perceived benefit of drinking will never outweigh the costs.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the steroid injection works for you, Ican.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope the steroid injection brings complete relief, Ican.

Never estimate the strength and power of the AV; perhaps meditation would help with the pain and to quiet the AV; it takes practice so maybe try a few sessions soon. YouTube has tons of suggestions.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, Ican. Keep doing your gratitude list every morning - it will help to put things in perspective.

You've come a long way in your sobriety and have been through a lot - just keep plowing (ploughing?) ahead and you'll have this!
Old 08-21-2022, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have chronic pain as well. Shoulder, knees, head, etc. etc.

Nobody knows how much a person truly suffer from pain except the person.

Prayers for your peace and serenity.

I work out as hard as I can and that does seem to stabilize all of my hurts a bit.

Sometimes the exercise causes flare ups, but that is part of the whole thing.

We here all know that booze is just a temporary pain reliever.

Last night my wife drank a very strong martini type drink. It was interesting to see her go go from craving (i believe even so called normies are addicts) to drunk to sober (and craving).

I have explained the whole addiction process to my wife more than anyone on the planet. She just gets pissed as says, I am an alky not her. She gets really mad.

So, I just watch out for her..

My middle son got extremely drunk at a party we just went to. He knows the deal according to D122y as well, but just like my wife he still drinks and suffers.

Addiction is fiere.

Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by novips View Post
Perhaps the following quote from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is relevant:

[T]he main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body. If you ask him why he started on that last bender, the chances are he will offer you any one of a hundred alibis. Sometimes these excuses have a certain plausibility, but none of them really makes sense in the light of the havoc an alcoholic's drinking bout creates. They sound like the philosophy of the man who, having a headache, beats himself on the head with a hammer so that he can't feel the ache.

As for me, I could not stop drinking till I fully committed to the recovery program of A.A. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.
Good one. When I decided to drink, I could very easily convince myself with a seemingly perfect valid reason. In fact there were situations where I used to think that 'if not for alcohol how would I even come thru this...'. a maze of temporary illusion.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Ican - I hope the new strategy works for the pain.

However, I’ll say the same as others. You drank because you drank, not because of the pain.

This is not me having a go at you, but making the distinction is really important for anyone’s recovery.

Hopefully better days ahead for you.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't let drinking be a choice for you, Ican. It fixes nothing and keeps you from making any real progress as long as you leave it as an option. Do not drink.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I totally get it. I live in constant unrelenting pain. I have several conditions that cause pain. I know sometimes the pain gets so bad you would do anything just to make it stop. Just for a little while. I’ve done it. It’s part of the reason I’m here. Between mental issues and physical pain I gave in and started drinking after almost 6 years sober. The problem is, at least for me, I can’t just drink enough to ease the pain and only days when it is unbearable. And since you’re here as well it’s probably a similar situation. I’m new here. Drinking does help when nothing else does but then you have to pay for it in so many other ways. From hangovers and sickness to not being able to quit and damaging other parts of your body. It’s hard. It is so hard to live in pain. But it is hard drinking as well.
I hope your injection really eases your pain and let’s you have some relief. I don’t know your situation or if a heating pad is an option but that sometimes helps me. Also icy hot patches help me a lot. The lotion or gel doesn’t do much but the patches are wonderful. Maybe ask your dr if those are an option for you.
Im so sorry you are having to go through the pain. It’s something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA Member

Here's a chip for you!