Notices

first day

Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Saac!

Welcome to SR.

Can't say anything that already hasn't been said, just welcome and hang in there one day -- one hour -- or one minute at a time if necessary. Just take those small steps one to another and they add up.

Thanks so much BubbaBob for those meetings! Those will help, I would get to as many as possible. Should help cure your boredom. Get a Big Book, a Twelve & Twelve (12 steps and 12 traditions) and get reading! I would also get lots of phone numbers so you have folks to talk to when you get lonely, anxious or think of drinking (just remember, the time to call is BEFORE you drink

Keep coming back, and I wish you the very best of everything!

Ken
Old 12-17-2004, 10:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Chris...

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000
I've Been Through Your Town Numerous Times. Lol Love Your Onions
Chris
It's Vidalia with the onions...Valdosta is known for Azaleas...<g>

BubbaBob
Old 12-17-2004, 10:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lol Bob, I've Told People I Live In Vandalia And They Said Is That Where The Onions Come From Now I Know, Valdosta No Onions. I Do Love The Hotel With The Indoor Pool By The Interstate Coming Into Valdosta.

U Sure They Dont Have Onions
Old 12-17-2004, 10:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

King of the Road

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000
I Do Love The Hotel With The Indoor Pool By The Interstate Coming Into Valdosta.

U Sure They Dont Have Onions

I'm sure about the onions.

As for the hotel...you probably mean the King of the Road Motor Inn, built and originally owned by Roger Miller. Man, I'd like to have back all the money I spent in the bar there. Cheap likker, good country music, and hot wimmen...whooo-ha!!!

BubbaBob
Old 12-17-2004, 01:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just want to thank all of you for the information. I have made it past 1:00 it is now 4:15. I will go to a meeting there is one tommorrow night. I just hope to get through tommorrow. you have all helped me make it through today. THANK YOU
Old 12-17-2004, 01:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Saac,

I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Everyone has already given you great suggestons. AA has saved millions. It works if you work it!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hello! Is this seat taken??

Just keep focused on today, tomorrow will come in time and we'll tackle that when it comes. If you got today - you've got forever.

pad
Old 12-18-2004, 04:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I made it through my first night. I had a little problem sleeping but it was ok. I feel great this morning. It is the rest of the day I am worried about. There is a meeting tonight I am hoping I will go to. I seem more scared today then yesterday. Now I have a day behind me I don't want to lose it. It seems like the 2nd day is harder then the first. Why is that?
Old 12-18-2004, 04:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

saac,I am so glad to hear you made it through your first night.It may seem like the second day is harder,but they will get easier.Get to that meeting tonight and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
It's Vidalia with the onions...Valdosta is known for Azaleas...<g>

BubbaBob
I lived in Georgia about 5 yrs myself.I used to pass through Valdosta all the time when I was coming and going to Florida.Now for some strange reason I am craving onions.I also miss the fried green tomatoes.Recently,I was telling someone about boiled peanuts and they didnt believe me.Lol. I miss those too.Damn, now Im starvin.5 am and Im craving,fried green tomatoes,boiled peanuts,and onions.Oh well,better than alcohol or drugs anyday. :tongue2:
Old 12-18-2004, 05:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well we do have the vidalia onlions I buy them from the kids their school sells them once a year. They are so good. We do have boiled peanuts everywhere. I love them to. Now fried green tomatoes I have not tried or know where to get them. I love blooming onions from outback very very good. Right now I want cheese toast much better then beer. That is my choice of drink. I am going to have to eat alot of cheese toast today.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Dan

Boiled peanuts?
That's a new one for me!
Hey saac, today might seem tougher than yesterday, but you know what?
It's only another 24 hours.
That's all we have to manage.
Finding our sobriety today.
Good Saturday mornin' to ya!
Old 12-18-2004, 05:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saac
Well we do have the vidalia onlions I buy them from the kids their school sells them once a year. They are so good. We do have boiled peanuts everywhere. I love them to. Now fried green tomatoes I have not tried or know where to get them. I love blooming onions from outback very very good. Right now I want cheese toast much better then beer. That is my choice of drink. I am going to have to eat alot of cheese toast today.
All the fried green tomatoes I ever had were home made.Cracker Barrel might serve them cant remember.They are good though and easy to make.Probably wouldnt be hard to find a recipe on the internet.I actually have some potatoes and onions frying up as we speak.All this talk about onions got to me.In a minute I will scramble a few eggs and heat up some Lil smokies and then I will have it going on.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

the toughest part of the day will be around 1:00 until 7:00 that is when I really feel the need to drink. I get very nervous and bored. Today might be easy we are going to my husbands family for a early Christmas eve dinner at 1:00. So I will be there most of the day which is good. I am worried about tonight. I plan on going to the meeting tonight I really hope I go. My mind has such control over me it is crazy. I have told my kids I would quite drinking so many times. I break their hearts every time I still drink. When I tell them I am quiting I do really mean it I really do. The next thing I know I am drinking again and tell them nothing I just ingore their sighs and looks of dissapointment. The next morning I hate myself more and more. I buy them extra stuff to make up for it. Take them places to make up for it. I just get more in debt and farther in a black hole I can't get out of. I am so glad I do have someone to talk to. Once again thank you all
Old 12-18-2004, 05:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

saac,I can relate to what you are saying.I have made many promises my self and broken them.I always had good intentions and planned on not using or drinking again.Try and make it to that meeting tonight.And in between meetings come here.Works for me.I guess thats how I ended up with over 900 posts since Oct.I really dont know if people get tired of reading all my posts,but I do know this site has saved my ass a few times.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((saac))))

Welcome!! As far as telling your kids go why don't you not tell them for a little while and see if they notice a difference....Your kids don't want things they want you......
Old 12-18-2004, 05:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
a patient wife

((((((((hugs)))))))))
I wanted to go to alnon meetings and they were very far for me too.. then I found one.... and all the people there were rich and snobby.. which was way wrong.. I bought me a book.. and I went into ***** and found a chat room... I really think that you ahve come to the right place .... I only joined here 3 days ago.. and every one in here has been so very nice and supportive of me.. I am not an alcoholic I am the wife of one that just costed us well over 20 grand.....

Have patience all things are difficult before they become easy

Hug
Brat
Old 12-18-2004, 06:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Saac, setting your self free from the chains of addiction is going to take work. You are doing a great job so far. No matter how you free yourself the most important action to take is DO NOT DRINK a moment at a time. It will probibly be a struggle. Dont forget what your goal is today. Your ultimate goal is to abstain from drinking alcohol today. Remember don't forget today DON'T DRINK. It is a parodox it is so simple yet it can be the hardest thing to do. Good luck keep talking to SR.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Musings on Vidalia onions, boiled peanuts, addictions, etc...

Ahhh...summer in the south...a sack of boiled peanuts...southern summer comfort food. Best washed down with...er...never mind...<g>

As for fried green 'maters, no one would even know about them if it weren't for the movie...got yankees all excited about a cute little southern custom...trouble is, no one ate fried green 'maters till the movie, and for the most part still don't, 'cept for the yankees coming down on vacation.

I have a little peanut stand on the roadside in the summer and EVERYONE buys my boiled peanuts, but garunteed if someone buys my fresh cooked fried green 'maters the car has either a yankee liscense plate or one from metro Atlanta and the car is loaded with relocated yankees...LOL

I keep yakking like this and y'all will think I'm still fighting the war...you know what war don't ya?...The War of Northern Aggression, or as genteel southern ladies call it, The Recent Unpleasantness...

saac, you've come to a great place for support in your battle to stop drinking...and it IS a battle, but one well worth fighting. Give your husband and children, your friends and other family your life back, but most important give YOURSELF your life back. That is one thing you MUST remember to maintain your sobriety...do it for YOURSELF, not for anyone or anything else.

The program is really simple, though not easy. We have a little tool kit that we must use daily to stay sober. For me, that means:

Daily face to face meetings.
Daily asking God for knowledge of His will, and the loan of His strength to do His will.
Daily working with other alcoholics/addicts sharing my expirience, strength, and hope. Just like love, this sobriety thing is best kept by giving it away.
Daily working the steps, especially #3 and #10. (but don't skip any of them, especially 4-5)
Remembering, when I am feeling squirrely, that I have a phone list and to USE IT.
Remembering, when I am conflicted about what to do in a situation, to ask God's will and trying to do the next right thing.
Daily thanking God at the end of the day for the loan of His strength to have been sober in body, mind, and spirit for JUST THAT DAY...we (He and I) will take care of tomorrow...tomorrow.

It's just that simple, and that is not much to ask of us when you consider that, in return, we get to live.

BubbaBob
Old 12-18-2004, 08:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I bought a really sharp 62 Impala SS up there in them North Georgia mountains some years back.Wish I still had it.