Notices

New Strategy - Day 64

Old 08-15-2022, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kes

New Strategy - Day 64

Hi Guys,
Anyone who has shared my posts will know that I had a chronic problem and it nearly destroyed me. Every penny I had, lierally every penny was spent on drink. Bills went out the window, I didn't open anything official looking that was posted through my door. I guess a lot of you understand that feeling.
I've posted how hard I'm finding it, although as Dee said it should start to become more comfortable at 60-90 days, and TBH I agree. I was taking each hour at a time. Today, I realised I'd only thought about a drink a couple of times, so yes improvement.
Day 64, I've never really been materialistic but I've realised what i need is stuff to look forward to, so I've decided to write a short list of things I've always wanted but couldn't afford due to alcoholism. I'm going to start putting a little money aside each day (what I would have spent on cider/vodka) and buy myself something nice a few times a year. I'm starting with a vintage 1970's digital watch, LED. It may not sound much but it will put a smile back on my face. I had one as a kid and lost it.
I think this will help me through. It's been a hell of a long time since I had something to look forward to. It will be nice buying some possesions rather than selling them all!

Just thought I'd share.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2022, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds good to me!! When it comes to methods that keep us on the straight and narrow, it really is a personal thing so the watch sounds great. Well done on 64 days.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's a pretty good strategy. I bought myself things I'd always wanted too, in that same period.

D
Old 08-16-2022, 12:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi kes, I really like AL48’s photo thread here.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html (New Year Challenge Part 2)

He’s just shelled out €900 or so on a couple of kayaks. Meanwhile, I’ve just blown £200 on a wetsuit. These are examples of activities we wouldn’t have done or dreamed of whilst drinking or in my case wouldn’t have had the confidence, so it’s never money wasted.

Really glad to read you’re starting to crave less. It’s not a linear thing, so watch out for bad days, but overall this definitely fades over time.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
kes

Hi Hodd,

A wetsuit!!! LOL., Talk about a midlife crisis. When a load of my friends and I turned 50, one bought a Harley, another a camper van, another a guitar,amp and home recording studio (even tho' he cant play a single note) Me....... I just went into rehab!!!! LOFL

Old 08-16-2022, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Midlife crisis? Me? Bring it on 🤣 I’ve been in a triathlon club for a couple of years, and I’ve just realised I joined when I was about five months sober. I’ve done a few races, but my swimming is dragging me down, literally, hence the wetsuit. I’ve easily spent thousands on running shoes, entry to races and other gear and, in the early days, going to see a physio with all the injuries my drinker’s sedentary body was picking up. When the club meets up socially, it’s interesting to see that people either don’t drink or they’ll nurse a half for hours.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a great idea kes. It's a great way of rewarding yourself for saving the money rather than spending it on alcohol. It will give you a sense of achievement when you buy the item with money that you would otherwise have simply spent on alcohol. Congratulations on day 64 too
Old 08-16-2022, 03:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kes

Thanks Hodd and Robbie,

Hodd, I've tmentioned I lost two brothers, one to cancer the other to heroin. My brother who died of cancer was 49, a sports fanatic and an absolute natural at most sports. His passion was cricket and football, he was offered a contract for YCC when he was 17, but there was no money in the game back then so he played it safe and became a PE/English teacher. His quickest time for a half marathon was 1hr 16m and 4s. Pretty good going. Never drank, only 2 pints after crricket, never smoked in his life. Married with 2 kids (aged 14 and 7 when he passed). That hit me hard. There's no logic whatsoever and it does test my "blind" faith. So when I say alcoholism / addiction are horrendous diseases, I think I'm well qualified to pass comment. I've seen both sides mate and they're equally as sad. I honestly mean that, that's why I get f******g p*****d off when people don't get it. "You chose to drink" I hear it all the time, I say "no the drink chose me."
Take care buddy
Old 08-16-2022, 03:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I think that's great kes. I can't really spend too much right now due to financial fallout of medical bills/not being able to work but I do have a little list of things I want to buy when my budget recovers.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This goal is wonderful and I think necessary.

I bought a treadmill after I got sober. With the gyms closed down, and the money I wasn't spending on alcohol or the gym membership, it seemed like a priority. Yes, a luxurious priority but one that has kept me centered and focused when the weather it not ideal outside.

We do need things to look forward too. Things that matter to us. Keep on keeping on! You are doing amazing work!
Old 08-16-2022, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Love it, kes. We desperately need something fun to anticipate in early recovery (and beyond). Good stuff.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great strategy kes, I definitely enjoyed treating myself with the extra money i saved when not drinking. Looking forward to doing that again too
Old 08-16-2022, 09:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Here I am doing my periodic therapy/check in/trying to help. I am feeling better than I have in nearly 8 years.

My balance and ability to deal with life every day for each 24 hours is stable.

I am stable but I am still obsessive and depressed. I use coping strategies to pull out.

I will be like this for the rest of my life and have had professional help for the last year or so.

That pro help is similar to what I get from the internet, you all included, but because it comes from a pro it gives me a solid foundation to stay the course of sobriety and my daily suffering.

The main thing quitting booze has given me is a stronger body. I am just healthier. I don't stay sick long.

I thought about getting drunk yesterday. The reason was....blah blah blah. I never needed a reason to drink, everything was a trigger.

I didn't relapse and I feel super good about that, even though I still feel like curling up in a ball and crying everyday. It is crazy, but that is life.

I have to man up, put on my big boy pants, and stay the course. Helping folks, e.g. my wife, son, coworkers, folks here, folks that cut me off in traffic, etc etc. is my go to move all day long.

I have time for me as well. That is what my therapist said to do, and that is what I do. Coming here is twofold. It helps you and it helps me. Just like AA.

I know that I must stay clean, it only gets better. Relapse and the hell on earth ramps up again.

Addict for life.

Hope this helps you or anyone!

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kes, that sounds like a good plan. Having something to look forward to is a great strategy.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"You chose to drink"

It’s an odd one. My wife (asian) didn’t get why I drank and wouldn’t understand any addiction, even though she lives on Facebook 🤣 I’m male (in case I hadn’t mentioned), and I don’t always get what women face, and I’m not the only male like this. It’s not my fault. How am I supposed to know? All I can do is try and be sensitive within reason to what’s going on with others. It’d be nice if non-addicts were also sensitive and even sympathetic, but I don’t think many will be.