Notices

Finally did it.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Finally did it.

I asked my doctor for medication to help.
I had wine Sunday, stayed sober Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday I finally talked to her (sober).
I have in the past but she didn't think it would help much since I'm not a daily drinker. But she listened to my concerns for my health and she said she'd give me a small amount of naltrexone.
she warned me...it does not "cure", it does not help everyone. It takes away the reward feeling you get when drinking and you learn to live without it. Something like that. It may make me sick so she said to break them in half at first.
it's friday. I don't work until tomorrow night. My work actually gifted me prosecco. I left it at the office and went to the gym. I'm headed home. No intention to drink.
I'm interested to see how it works for me.
I almost chickened out completed when talking to her! Glad i didnt.
i follow up with her in 3 weeks.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AR, I'm glad you've been sober this week and it's good that you talked to your doctor.

Have a great weekend!
Old 08-13-2022, 01:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done, AR. Seeing a GP started my road to recovery, so hopefully this is a turning point. Bear in mind these medications help but don’t work miracles, and effort and willpower from you is still required. I have to ask why all this wine is so freely available to you? A lot of us here wouldn’t have alcohol in the house; it’s too much of a temptation even after years of sobriety.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kes

Hi

I've been on naltrexone for a month and it's hard to tell whether it's had any affect on me. i'm still dry so haven't drank with it. I'm still craving every day tho'.

Dee 74 sent me info on it. Might be worthh asking Dee.

BtW, don't take it with anti histamines. Look on line. my pharmacist confirmed it
Old 08-13-2022, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
kes

sorry forgot to mention my dosage ., 50mg a day
Old 08-13-2022, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m glad you’re trying again AR.
D
Old 08-13-2022, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Well done, AR. Seeing a GP started my road to recovery, so hopefully this is a turning point. Bear in mind these medications help but don’t work miracles, and effort and willpower from you is still required. I have to ask why all this wine is so freely available to you? A lot of us here wouldn’t have alcohol in the house; it’s too much of a temptation even after years of sobriety.
yes the doctor explained that and said don't expect miracles.
the wine is from my work, and clients as gifts
Old 08-13-2022, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by kes View Post
Hi

I've been on naltrexone for a month and it's hard to tell whether it's had any affect on me. i'm still dry so haven't drank with it. I'm still craving every day tho'.

Dee 74 sent me info on it. Might be worthh asking Dee.

BtW, don't take it with anti histamines. Look on line. my pharmacist confirmed it
yeah it will take time to see if there's really any effect. My doctor checked that the other med I take will not cause an interaction so far so good.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

“The wine is from my work, and clients as gifts

I was having a clear out at home recently and found some wine my wife was planning to use for cooking and also some miniature spirits. I never cared for spirits so was OK leaving those to one side for some builders I had in. That wine, though, was a problem for me, and bear in mind I’ve been sober 3+ years. I poured it down the sink.

You/we can’t have wine in the house. If people give you wine, say thanks and throw it in the trash.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
“The wine is from my work, and clients as gifts

I was having a clear out at home recently and found some wine my wife was planning to use for cooking and also some miniature spirits. I never cared for spirits so was OK leaving those to one side for some builders I had in. That wine, though, was a problem for me, and bear in mind I’ve been sober 3+ years. I poured it down the sink.

You/we can’t have wine in the house. If people give you wine, say thanks and throw it in the trash.
what i should have done but didnt have thr strength to at the time.
I got a promotion and uncannily enough on Thursday received another bottle (this is weird that I would receive so much at once), but that one I didn't drink and am actually regifting it rather than trashing it.