Notices

Sugar cravings

Old 08-13-2022, 12:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I need to see if I can hunt down the recipe for the snack bites made with dates. Someone sent it to me a long time ago and I don't know where to find it. It was so good though. Basically dates, cacao powder, I think maybe coconut oil and one or two other ingredients. You roll them up into balls and refrigerate them for a bit and then dust them with peanut powder.

KTB I also always found that the sweet tooth was the worst in very early sobriety. Now I'm at 6 months and they are still bad. Maybe or maybe not related to alcoholism at this point I don't know. I definitely have stronger days where I don't eat as many sugary foods but some of the suggestions here have already helped me wean off.

sugarbear I bought some Raisin Bran Crunch (shoutout to fishkiller) the other day and ate some the other night and it knocked the sugar craving right out. I also find that the addition of fruit to my homemade ice cream makes me eat less of the ice cream.

Great suggestions all around. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

I've frozen my smoothies using my popsickle molds. I'm a serious ice cream eater.

Those prune snack recipes are online
Old 08-13-2022, 02:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We call those snacks wholefood balls here in Oz. Lots of different flavours you can even purchase in the supermarket and ofcourse make your own. As the ingredients individually are so expensive I've been buying the wholefood balls. And maybe I'm a bit lazy 😁. My fav flav is cacao brownie, it's just cashew, date, cacao and coconut. I hope you get your hands on the recipe you like, or find a suitable alternative one online.

I'm not a sweet tooth, even in early sobriety, but the issue is the sugar I consume in coffee, and it's hidden in everything also but I try to steer clear of the hidden stuff. Funny I had no such hesitation pouring poison down my throat 🤦. I really took the saying pick your poison to heart.

My eating problems have tended towards fatty and salty food, especially in early sobriety. It's just as bad healthwise, and its all pretty addictive. But when you add all the sugar I have in coffee and the hidden sugar, I'm over-consuming all the big 'evils'.

Anyway, thanks for the post, inspiring. It's good to concentrate on overall holistic health. Especially so in sobriety after the years of abuse our poor bodies endured. Best of luck in your healing and I wish you success in curbing the sugar consumption.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have sugar issues also. It was my gateway drug.. lol. Always wanted it as a kid. Can’t keep it in the house.

When I was still drinking, I found I could stop after 3-4 drinks if I had a dessert. It was as if my body wanted the sugar more than the alcohol.

Fish, I agree on the cereal.. I will eat two large bowls of raisin bran at night if I have it, lol.

Oddly, I don’t use sugar in my coffee.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Good suggestion nez. I don't actually like dates on their own but I have had snack bites made with dates and cocoa powder and couple other natural ingredients before that were absolutely delicious.
A dessert type snack bite that I make is Voortman sugar free Orange Creme Wafers smeared with Ginger People's Ginger Spread and topped a Deglet Noor Date...all I can say is "Oh man, nums for the tum!" and pretty damn healthy for a sweet snack.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You can't mitigate alcohol, but you can mitigate sugar. I just gradually replaced the junk with better choices. Right now it's cherries--fruit is always a good choice for anyone in alcohol recovery-- and no sugar added ice cream bars. I have a KIND energy bar with my coffee. Once a month or so I'll treat myself to the real thing, but I don't miss it on a regular basis.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I probably should have mentioned that I am trying to gain weight. I lost about 30 lbs when I was sick. I've gained 10 back and want to put on 20 more. So I am gravitating toward calorie dense foods (not that they have to be sugary foods). But one the of the issues is I often will binge on something sugary and it will spoil my appetite and I'll end up not eating enough protein for my muscles to recover from workouts.

Originally Posted by Zura View Post
I'm not a sweet tooth, even in early sobriety, but the issue is the sugar I consume in coffee, and it's hidden in everything also but I try to steer clear of the hidden stuff. Funny I had no such hesitation pouring poison down my throat 🤦. I really took the saying pick your poison to heart.
Zura I know exactly what you mean. Looking back to when I was drinking, it's insane some of the things I worried about putting into my body but didn't think twice most of the time about guzzling alcohol. And look what happened... despite my healthy eating habits, it was the alcohol that ultimately caused my health problems.

nez that sounds delicious I'll have to try it.

SS I love KIND bars but nuts are a no-go for me unfortunately

Couple other things I've noticed. The times my sugar cravings are the worst are days when I haven't gotten enough sleep, when I'm stressed out, and when I miss a meal and I'm ravenously hungry. So I'm trying to address those issues more proactively to reduce the cravings.