Notices

Sober blues? Weekenders 12 - 15 August 2022

Old 08-13-2022, 09:59 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Kaily, pleased you’re getting chance to go for a walk before it gets too hot. 🥵 Some people on line just like to stir things up love. (Not here) sometimes it’s a good idea to take a step back and not get drawn in.

Least, a good idea to get a GP (general practitioner-as we call them here) doctor so they can refer you for tests/treatments etc.

I’m just going to work on keeping cool 😎 today.

Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 08-13-2022, 11:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning all, sending positive vibes your way least.

Never let the trolls win Kaily.

I have just got back from a walk along the canal myself. Got nearly as far as London Zoo. Unusual for me to go westwards. It looks like I could almost be in the countryside in the pic

Attached Images
Old 08-14-2022, 12:21 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

Looks beautiful Saou. I saw a program with a celebrity couple who did the waterways and the Thames had some beautiful spots on it.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:32 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

It looks lovely sao. Is that Regent's Canal? I sometimes used to go for a walk along the Grand Union Canal when I lived in London. It was often tranquil with hardly anyone around which made for a nice change from all the hustle and bustle of north west London.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:43 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think I may have figured out the cause of my itching - the antibiotic I'm on (doxycycline). I looked it up and itching was one of the listed side effects. Glad I've only got two more days on it.

I've tried several times to go to sleep but can't stop itching long enough to fall asleep.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:07 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I hope you can get some sleep least.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:21 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders,

I had a horrible drinking dream last night in which I took one drink the next thing I knew was waking up after a blackout to scary consequences. Unpleasant, but at least even my sleeping self knows the danger of the first drink :-)

So, I have work to do after an unproductive day overheating yesterday. It's forecast to be a little cooler here today. I'm missing living with my old housemates though. Chatting with them every day kept me from going down rabbit holes of worry when my mental health wobbles. Still, it's all 100 times better in sobriety.

Anyway, best wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

^
Drinking dreams can be horrible Forwards but at least that's all they are, dreams. Good reminders of where not to go back to.

It's definitely cooler outside at the moment. It's forecast to get hot later today but there's rain arriving overnight.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:40 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I just googled Wimpy and there are still a few in the uk. I thought they had all gone.
This caught my eye. I made a point of going to one near London recently for a bit of nostalgia. The menus haven’t changed since I last went in the mid-1980s. I don’t ever eat such food now, so this was a one off - wimpy burger and fries. I’m afraid to say it was the blandest food I’ve had in years 🤣
Old 08-14-2022, 01:50 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Magsie

Glad you were able to put your dream into perspective Forwards. Hope you manage to stay cool today.

Least, hope it is the antibiotics. Might be worth asking if there’s another type if they ever prescribe them again.

Robbie, I always think of London as hustle and bustle but there are some quiet beauty spots it seems.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:16 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been trying all night to go to sleep but the itching is too bad and I can't relax. I'd give my eyeteeth to stop itching so I could get some sleep. It's been several days of little to no sleep and I'm worn out.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:57 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That itching sounds dreadful least, i'm glat you only have two days worth of the antibiotic left.

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
It looks lovely sao. Is that Regent's Canal? I sometimes used to go for a walk along the Grand Union Canal when I lived in London. It was often tranquil with hardly anyone around which made for a nice change from all the hustle and bustle of north west London.
It is Robbie, the Regent's Canal is a sort of offshoot of the Grand Union (which connects with Birmingham) and it joins up with it at Paddington (Little Venice) The Grand Union is a bit wider and slightly more substantial looking than the Regent's.

Good to see you Hodd!
Old 08-14-2022, 07:10 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thanks Saoutchik. I’m originally from London, and I probably should move back there or the surrounding area - nice countryside where I am now but for a new divorcee, it’s incredibly dull 🤣. I walked along part of Regents Canal three years ago and went into that boat bookshop. He had to move his boat every few weeks to avoid mooring charges. I’m there in a few weeks and will see if he’s still there.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:04 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Nice picture Sao.

Hodd, your Wimpy review has not made me want to search one out anytime soon

Forwards, dreams seem so real and can be very disturbing. Hope it was a one of. Sorry you are missing your house mates too! Is a dog still on the cards?

The place I went walking early today had a fire a few hours later. No idea how bad it is, road is closed and fire brigade doing their good work. I hope not too much damage has been done.

It's so hot! I'm like a chicken cooked in the microwave, hot right through but white on the outside! Think I must have some Irish genes, I just don't tan!
Old 08-14-2022, 10:05 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since my chest pain/heaviness is still here and the itching won't stop, I called urgent care and made an appt for this afternoon.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:13 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Well done Least.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:49 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hodd, your Wimpy review has not made me want to search one out anytime soon
🤣 I guess it’s a nicer dining experience than sitting amongst the discarded napkins and chicken McNuggets in McDs. I’m not in the least bit classy or high brow, but I occasionally get a takeout coffee in McD , and I reckon I’d rather do time in prison than actually sit down in a McD.

I remember a wimpy dessert called Brown Derby, and the staff told me it’s still going strong. If you’re hungry and pass a wimpy, it’s not that bad.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:10 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

"I reckon I’d rather do time in prison than actually sit down in a McD."

And big nods.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:07 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Glad you made an appt for the Dr Least, hope you get some support and relief x

it’s taken me 2 days but I have emptied both my sheds, cleaned them out, thrown away lots of junk and almost empty paint pots, cleaned and brushed out the sheds and organised and put everything back and it looks so much better. Also de-weeded the back as so many had grown between the stone slabs. It’s been really hard work but at least the sun doesn’t get in the back yard till tea time so was a cooler place to be.

Really tired now and hoping I haven’t overdone it!

I used to love a wimpy, they had the best onions finely chopped and fried….drools 😬

Hopefully will be cooler tomorrow with a bit of rain, would be nice to have a night cool enough to sleep for a change.

Anyhow, love to all and hugs x
Old 08-14-2022, 01:48 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope the appointment goes well least.

Hodd, the floating bookshop (Word on the Water) is still there, it is permanently moored now near the City Basin. I posted a photo of it way back.