Notices

Sober blues? Weekenders 12 - 15 August 2022

Old 08-12-2022, 05:35 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm in for this weekend.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Unwell? My uncle is aged ninety something, so maybe old age....quite the character. He started up a maritime musuem, wrote and published poetry and made industrial sculptures.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:33 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sao, I love that song, LA Woman! Thanks!
PJ, sending love and peace. A big step going to the funeral.
☮💟💞💥💦
Old 08-12-2022, 07:48 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Tis hot outside.🥵
Old 08-12-2022, 08:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

The Doors were always playing at a Mexican restaurant I would go to 30+ years ago!
social anxiety is probably the reason I liked drinking so much. Lately the AV has been popping up and saying maybe I’d fit in better this area we moved to a year ago if I drank. I feel like I’m the only one not drinking, my husband will have a beer or two occasionally. I was informed by a next door neighbor of a Loud family pool party Saturday so we are planning to be gone all day. I’ll exercise in the morning and pack up for a day at the beach.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Your day sounds WAY better than a loud family pool party, dear Sober53. ❤️

I am betting you fit in just fine. I wonder if you went door to door, and took a survey, how many others you would find who don't drink. Lots, I bet. xxx
Old 08-12-2022, 09:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I've got a few more Days up here at ~9,500' [2,895 Meters], and a blasting clear Day is on tap. With full Sun exposure for the Trailer Rooftop Solar Panels, I likely will have to run my new Generator later to power the Trailer A/C for a few peak Hours if the Mosquitoes and Biting Flies are too active to plop down in the Shade. Life is a series of trade-offs, eh? Clouds and sporadic Rain yesterday cooled this remote area nicely. Killer Full Moon, too, with clear, dark Skies here.

Once I found out this massive Mountain Bike Event is coursing nearby tomorrow, I made a few stops in Town yesterday. The Moth seen below graced the Petrol Pump I used. Main Street [and Crosswalks] are already pretty nuts, so I'll stay clear of all that. This Event covers >100 Miles total with some insane, cumulative vertical climb of ~14,000' [4,267 Meters] total. Only the fittest need apply, since there's 32% less Oxygen up here than at Sea Level.

Leadville CO Mountain Bike Event

Sober Blues for me was self-imagined, and - ultimately - self-created. All the usual side effects have been well-covered here, so my observation is that I finally understood what was going on only when it wasn't anymore. Hard to believe - still - that a Product with so many bad consequences is sold on 7 Street Corner Shops in our lil Town of ~7,500. Just the physical dependence alone was a Mind-blowing consequence that I'm glad to finally have freed myself from.

There's a Meme around to the effect of 'Don't Blame Yourself For Knowing Now What You Didn't Know Then'. Truth. So, I don't. Thanks, Mags!

Old 08-12-2022, 10:33 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome sober53, I understand what you say about social anxiety but honestly, I think drinkers have a more anxious time of it, especially these days with camera phones and social media added to the list of things that booze can make embarrassing. This way you get to fit in on your own terms. As Venuscat indicated, I'm sure you're not the only non drinker.

Glad the hospital visit went well Mags. Agree 100% about so-called smart motorways. Potential death traps.

Hi Tetra

Congratulations Free2. One complete solar orbit coming up.

I guess Leadville must be a mining town although I've not heard of lead mines but I suppose they have to mine it somewhere. That it a handsome moth. Gold, dark brown, light brown, cream. An Art Deco moth.

The weekend is here!

Old 08-12-2022, 11:07 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

The mouse has still not been found so the cat was let out of the guest room. Hopefully he can find it. I've seen the cat watching inscects at home in order to catch them. He's an amusing cat. My parents told me he accidentally got in the bathroom one night, they did not realise he was there, but when he was found he had dragged a towel off the rail to make a bed for himself.

Ireland is experiencing a surprise heatwave right now and I cannot take much heat.

Unfortunately my bedroom is in the attic.
I was texting my brother last night in his air conditioned basement in PA. He just said the attic is the absolute worst place to be in during a heat wave. He also mentioned that Irish houses were not at all built for extreme weather .

I went out to get vanilla ice cream and 'Coca-Cola' to make a Coca-Cola float. I can't deal with heat at all.

Take care everyone x

Old 08-12-2022, 11:11 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

We call them spiders in Australia, the ice cream and lemonade drinks. I don't know why, though. Hope it cools you down, love. s

Well, now I know.

"In Australia and New Zealand, an ice cream float is known as a "spider" because once the carbonation hits the ice cream it forms a spider web-like reaction. It is traditionally made using either lime or pink creaming soda."

The last part is not right, I don't think. We always made ours with lemonade.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

My Dad would make something similar with 7up and strawberry ice cream
Old 08-12-2022, 02:55 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We used to make them with root beer and call it a root beer float or a black cow.

I tried to get back to sleep but kept being interrupted by Jack's problem.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Goodnight all.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:22 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Don't remember doing them at home much, but remember getting root beer floats at the same drive in place that had those foot long chili dogs.

Something I learned at a friend's house, that I never saw anyone else do, was to make an ice cream sandwich. Just put ice cream between two pieces of bread just like you would ham and cheese or whatever.

Oh how glorious life was before you had ever heard of cholesterol or triglycerides.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement. I made it through although I do feel like I was up drinking late last night lol
Yesterday we were on a road trip to the capital, it was a beautiful sunny day in winter and we had Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson blasting on the stereo, plus it was basically the time of the super full moon (1.30pm in NZ) all of that combined equalled an AV screaming at me. Thankfully it passed after about 6 hours!!
Old 08-12-2022, 10:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Good work Red! Your av is akin to a naughty child wanting its own way. Give in to it and it will pester you forever. Set the rules and up your av will quieten down.

Mesaman, love that meme 'Don't Blame Yourself For Knowing Now What You Didn't Know Then'. Gorgeous patterns on the moth.

Tetra, your cat will find the mouse, rest assured….hopefully I sympathise having your bedroom in the attic, my friend has a dormer bedroom in her attic and it’s sooo hot.

Saou, seems to me that the first lane on smart motorways , which was the hard shoulder on old type motorway, are left for the lorry drivers mostly. After hearing the accidents and bad press in the first lane I stay well clear and leave first/second lane for lorries.

Getting a cool breeze through the place before the heat hits.

MantaLady, hope you’re doing ok love.

Love to all Weekenders xxxx

Old 08-12-2022, 10:30 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Just found out my uncle...older bro of the aunt whose funeral I went to, has died.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:14 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yes I like that meme too, Mesaman.

Mags do you mean you drive in the fast lane? I never like it there, it scares me.

Sorry you have another loss PJ. Now they can be reunited and rest peacefully together.

I have been trying to explain addiction to some judgemental posters on a dog forum I frequent. They don't seem to understand that choices made when drunk are impaired and therefore not rational. The discussion started by the sad death in awful circumstances of Anne Heche. I won't go into it but can be googled.

Had to have a keratosis on my nose treated with liquid nitrogen again yesterday. Dr said if it comes back it will need cutting out. There's a treat
Old 08-12-2022, 11:27 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Morning Mags, Morning Weekenders,

Hot hot hot here but I'm finding ways to keep cool. I went out briefly without sunscreen though yesterday which was a mistake...

Anyway, I'm in for another sober one so good luck to everyone joining me.

Best wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:07 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, sorry for your loss.

Kaily, I bet that burnt a bit. Hopefully it won’t come back. I think they used that to treat a wart on Mr. Mag’s hand. It burnt.

I drive in the third from left lane on the smart motorways. There is another lane on the right of me for fast fast cars, or so it seems to me.
They know where all the speed cameras are and speed then slow down and speed up when they’ve passed them, or at least that’s how it seems to me.

I stick at 70mph but more often than not the big signs come out saying 40 or 50 speed limit because of traffic build up or roadworks. They actually had the far left lane closed on parts of it. They’ve warned of delays today because of rail strikes. No kidding.

Last time it went to 30 because a lorry had shed a shredded tyre all over the road.

There was a poor cop trying to pick up pieces of the debris. I gave him a ‘aw’ look, (like the advert on tv with the young boy on the bus offering to share his chocolate with a girl who had been crying). Then I laughed, not at the cop but at me pulling a sad face at him.

Hi Forwards, glad you’re keeping cool. Think it’s going to be its 90’s today. 🥵