CBS good work on 600+ days
Old 08-11-2022, 07:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you Mags!
Old 08-11-2022, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Thanks, Mags, I'M IN!

I was super depressed right at the beginning. But for me, it was a combination of so many things. I was facing DUI consequences, I was in financial trouble, my relationships were all a complete mess... there was so much going on. A big part of it, though, was a feeling that I was in mourning. I was so afraid my life was going to be sad and lonely, as I was a very social drinker and I spent a lot of time with my friends at bars. I figured I'd be sitting alone at home, wallowing in sadness and self-pity. And there was also the withdrawal, which was pretty bad for a couple of weeks. I have never cried so much in my life, for such a prolonged period of time. I think it took maybe a month of sobriety before the clouds started to break a little, and I really started having hope, for the first time in many years. I was going to outpatient treatment, AA meetings, facing up to my new reality, and realizing I had a lot of work ahead of me and I'd better get to it. I was talking to sober people who seemed so serene and happy, and I definitely wanted that, and figured I could get it. I started to think maybe things would be OK -- not just OK, but really good.

I'll never go back. I never want to feel that way again. Life is so much better now, approaching very good. If I can just get rid of my pesky job...
Old 08-11-2022, 09:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend!

Thanks Mags!

Congratulations on shotgun CaptainHaddock!

Welcome to Weekenders Evoo.

Congratulations on your respective milestones calmself, CBS

I can honestly say that after the initial cravings wore off I did not suffer from any depressive periods or blues though I have my bad days like anyone else. I had withdrawn from my social drinking about 4 years prior to quitting so unlike Marty (MLD51) I did not have that to miss. I hardly dared believe that the craving to drink would ever wear off and when it did, at some point during the second month, I was elated as I hardly dared believe it would ever happen.

I was tempted to post Roadhouse Blues by The Doors to tie in with Mags's OP but I prefer this one. Bit of a Cheesy "dad film" video but OK.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.
I’m in for another sober weekend
Old 08-11-2022, 01:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi all--another sober weekend ahead for me. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-11-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for the weekend.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good-night all.
Sleeping is a sobriety bonus to be enjoyed by us all.
I look forward to tomorrow as breakfast of overnight oats is ready in the fridge, coffee on timer and the OJ is easy, meditate for 10 minutes and then take the long route by foot to work 5km.
Sulk for 9 hours until home time. BBQ, swim and get ready to do it all over again with a clear. head.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great post, Mags.

Here for a sober weekend, and looking forward to it.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I was sharing in my class here my dirty truth with the booze.

Your OP was FANTASTIC!

So, not going there.

In for my last 50th weekend 🤩😎🤓🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
Old 08-11-2022, 08:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

It’s still dark here at nearly 5am. I’ve opened the doors and windows to get a breeze, it was pretty warm when I woke. And I’m thinking what if a burglar comes through the back door. Or a monster. (overactive imagination) Nothing so far though. Except the cat! She thinks it’s a game going in one door and out the other, diverting to jump on my chair arms. I’m in the dark ‘cept for a few battery candles and the light off my tablet. I’m taking this utility price rise too far methinks. It’ll soon be light.

Going to Derby hand clinic this morning. Going to have an early start on the roads and hopefully miss the work traffic entering Derby.

Hope everyone is well. Shout out if not.

Love to all Weekenders and guests. xxxx
Old 08-11-2022, 10:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I want to be in for the weekend, I am struggling though, this AV is very very loud and coming up with all sorts of reasons and excuses for me to drink!! I currently can't get too a drink and I'm praying it has calmed down by the time I can which would be in about an hour..
Old 08-11-2022, 11:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao and Mags.

End of Day 271 - Alcohol is so overrated, just a world of pain. There are so many things that bring real happiness. Good night from Seattle.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Glad you’re here with us Red….maybe it’s the Supermoon stirring up extra cravings & emotions….hopefully they will pass soon. Stay close!

Safe travels Mags! Hope your appointment goes well
Old 08-12-2022, 01:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome Red, you can do it. Your Addicts Voice or AV can generally be walked off if you are able. I found it only struck hard if I wasn't preoccupied.

As Mags referred to, it's going to be a hot one today. We have just had a brief power cut at work (6-7 minutes) I'm pleased to say the back up generator that I installed a couple of years ago and which am responsible for maintaining worked which was a relief on a personal level. Power interruptions used to be a real nuisance.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Funeral ok...I disappeared after to avoid questions.from relatives not seen long time....what are you doing, what's wrong with your arm???
Another funeral.predicated.very elderly uncle..very sick
Also had 3 tradies in my unit putting up solar panels ..a deal between power company and management
my dog very concerned...wont get off my bed, making sure all is ok.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

PJ, good that everything went as well as it did at the funeral. Take care.

Red, welcome to the Weekenders Hopefully the AV will quieten down soon.

Mags, hope all goes well with your appointment.

Have a good everyone, it's going to be another hot one here
Old 08-12-2022, 03:14 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Red, the AV is just full of lies and deceit. But you already know that.

The Doors always make me think of that movie Apocalypse Now.

PJ, sorry to hear that your uncle isn't well.

Mags, I hope the Derby trip goes splendidly.

Al, a decent night's sleep certainly is a bonus.

Free, coming up on a year. That's great!

Social anxiety has always been such an intimidating factor, and alcohol seemed to always be such a cure-all for this. Even with groups of friends, alcohol seemed to help break from that feeling. In reality, I was doing and saying things that I now deeply regret. There is a big association meeting in a couple of weeks. The social anxiety is already kicking in. At least I won't make a drunken idiot of myself.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well. I am not really.

But I'll just leave you all with an amusing story.

My parents cat dragged in yet another live mouse and dumped it on the kitchen floor. When I called Dad on coffee break he was harassed looking for said mouse, mom was standing on a chair and kitty had been banished to the guest room.

Just the image of all of that makes me smile.

The cat I'm afraid might get sent back to where he came from if he's not careful.

Take care everyone

Tetra x
Old 08-12-2022, 05:27 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Red, if you ‘ride’ the cravings, they will pass. You’ll get stronger with each victory. Take care.

PJ, pleased funeral went ok. Poor Roxy thought you were leaving her.

Saou, good work on the ‘back-up’ generator.

Tetra sorry you’re not doing well. oh you r mum must’ve had a fright , my cats bring in live mice sometimes and I’m sure one of them gives us it as a gift but the other cat won’t part with hers when she catches one.

Hospital trip went well. The motorways, well. There’s not enough motorway for the vehicles and…Smart motorways aren’t that smart….in fact they need to have some lessons on keeping traffic moving. :soapbox