Notices

I'm a newcomer in england with a severe drink prob

Old 08-11-2022, 02:22 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I’m not sure if you were in schools at the start of 2021 when all lessons went online. I reckon a few teachers got caught out at my school as they were out of their comfort zone, and oh how they whinged, but others just got on with it - and did brilliantly.

Maybe we’ve found you a new skill to get to grips with? I’m no coding or gaming geek. I have worked with software engineers and find them full of s***. Hey, on supply recently, I even told an IT teacher, maybe he was head of dept, to stop talking as he was banging on about how great he was. Phew! So, I can understand the lack of IT interest, but this is serious stuff. From what you’ve said, Doncaster doesn’t sound an option. Give option B some thought. I don’t know why they’re doing it online, but you can’t just say you don’t like computers 🙂
Old 08-11-2022, 02:53 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
kes

Thanks again Hodd.

My last day teaching was the day before lockdown, March 2020.

I was offered online work but turned it down as I knew what would happen to my computer!! Not pretty and expensive!

I'm of the opinion that effective teaching HAS to be classroom based with "natural" interaction.

Please believe me, I'm not knocking your approach you sound great at it and it clearly works for you. Fair play to yer! Just I couldn't do it and would be useless. I need the smell of the classroom in my snozzer! The smell of prisons is unique and unfortgetable. Can't get that on your laptop
Old 08-11-2022, 11:05 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi kes, so what’s the way forward then?
Old 08-11-2022, 11:47 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
kes

Hi Hodd,

The way forward, not sure.

For my own sanity, I need an explanation, from the rehab team, why they don't offer the same service as Doncaster. The only expanation to date has been that it's due to covid. That can't be true because, as you know, all covid restrictions have been lifted in the UK!

I will try lobbying their head of service through the local MP and organisations such as MIND, The Red Cross etc for them to offer the same service.

My social worker has agreed the service on offer isn't adequate and she works for the rehab team. I honestly think i's political. My LA is Tory run and they don't want to spend money on substance misuse.

I will keep you updated Hodd.

Yo day 60! I can't believe it and I'm quite proud of myself. So long as pride doesn't come before a fall.

Have a great day and weekend. Thank you for your positivity buddy it's very much appreciated and respected. I wish I had your outlook. You sound so optimistic.

ATB,

Kes.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:16 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Covid’s become a convenient excuse for laziness/saving money. Unless someone’s old or vulnerable, there’s no reason to hide at home. Heart disease deaths alone dwarf anything Covid can do.

Trying to deal with bureaucratic nobodies is just about the most stressful thing going. You might be making stress for yourself, and that’s really bad news in early recovery. Even if things changed, it’d take months, and meanwhile you might’ve relapsed. I’m not sold on option B either, but it sounds a case of that or nothing for now.

Me optimistic? 🤣 I will say most things sort of work out somehow with long-term sobriety. You get to see the positives in most situations I guess. You’ll get there. Go easy on those dogs in this weather 🙂

Oh and day 60 - well done. As well as the support (or otherwise), take credit for 60 days. You could’ve easily caved in, but your willpower stopped you. I was still craving on day 60, but nowadays cravings are very rare and minuscule. Not drinking does work eventually.