Notices

Self-Improvement

Old 08-03-2022, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Self-Improvement

I want to quit drinking. I only have a couple of beers most nights, but it's not like I enjoy it. I don't do well with, "Oh, I'll just cut back for a while." I want to make a commitment to be the best possible husband, father, and person that I can be, and alcohol works against those goals.

I quit chewing tobacco 5,184 days ago using the forums at killthecan.org, so I know I have it in me. I look forward to exploring the features of this site and returning tomorrow one day sober.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great community, ToddZeile. I'm so glad you found us.
With the encouragement I found here I was able to quit after decades of trying to manage the amounts I drank.
I hope you'll stay with us - read & post - we're here to help.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery ToddZeile SR is a great site with lots of support from great posters.

If you have only a couple of beers most nights is there something that triggers you to drink? Possibly an association with a certain time of day or do you try to limit yourself to just two drinks but get a desire to drink all day ? At one time I could go all day without any desire or inclination to drink but when 7pm came around those urges would suddenly come on. Sadly I didn't deal with them at that point and those 7pm urges then became 6pm urges which then became 5pm urges and... you can guess the rest. I ended up an all day (and all night) drinker.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Todd. You found the right place. Commitment to a plan to quit drinking. There are many ways to develop the plan that works for you but for me the common thread (no pun intended) was the connection that I got here and the education. My plan was all about positivity. I’m a routine type of person, so each day I would exercise, practice gratitude, and work to eliminate negative thinking/negative self talk, and read here to educate myself on how to stay sober and get back the positive energy I had before drinking took that all away. Just like with the chew, you can do it with commitment!
Old 08-03-2022, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some things which have helped me:
- sticking to a routine and structure. I'm not sleeping in but still getting up early and exercising and starting my day with a solid breakfast. When I was heavily drinking I would skip the breakfast.
- regular meetings and going to continuing education classes. The cont. education classes don't follow an AA format and I think its a nice change of pace. I still get to vent to people if something is bothering me and that helps.
- positive self talk and reassurance.
- eating well and drinking plenty of water. I also drink celsius and fresca to change things up.
- I've been taking short naps throughout the day. I may not fall asleep for long, but I close my eyes and let my body rest. 45 mins-1 hour.
- I've had long stretches without alcohol before and I can do it again and continue. I keep on assuring myself I can do this. I also know that if I drink I'm 99 percent sure I'll end up in the hospital again.
- I try and exercise twice a day. Early in the morning and later in the afternoon/evening. This is extremely important to me.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sobriety is a better life for me. That's an understatement. It's dramatically better.