Notices

thanks for all your support

Old 08-02-2022, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

thanks for all your support

Just want to thank everybody for all your support during a difficult time for the past four months. It has meant more to me than I can express. There were a lot of very dark times during the last four months, and your support helped me to get through them. There is no way I could repay all of you. You are truly very special people. John
Old 08-02-2022, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

❤️🥰😍

I hope today is a good day for you John ❤️
Old 08-02-2022, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're here for you, John. And, your strength and positive attitude are inspiring.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope you're doing well, John. Any tomatoes?
Old 08-02-2022, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
Hope you're doing well, John. Any tomatoes?
Nope, no tomatoes yet. I got the feeling I am doing something wrong. Definitely expected tomatoes by now. I'll go back on you tube and see if I can figure out what the problem might be.
I'm doing ok. A lot of pain for some reason. I'll be better tomorrow. John
Old 08-02-2022, 08:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sweet dreams, John.

🤓❤️
Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope the treatment is going well and that the chemo doesn't have you too worn down.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wishing you a continued recovery and hoping there are no more dark times.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's been a pleasure to be here with you John. Keep practicing in the garden, it pays off in the end. 🍅 🍅 🍅
Old 08-03-2022, 02:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I’ve been very preoccupied with my life outside of SR lately. You’re the main reason I log in nowadays; to learn how you and your patio garden are getting along, to vicariously enjoy your planning for the next trip, and to encourage you to trust your care team.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us, John. You help me to get out of my own little self-world. And that’s a big deal for my sobriety, so thank you.

O
Old 08-03-2022, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

John, I have continued to keep you in my thoughts. I hope you continue to come here.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not big on posting, John, but wanting you to know that I channel positive thoughts your way every day.
Am a believer in the power of prayer and pray you are able to have a good team of doctors and the best treatment
available.
I also love gardening and am so happy you're doing it! Have total faith you'll get those tomatoes to get it together and if they don't , well...I always found that having a problem plant was sort of fun...keeps the mind active. :-)
Cheers!
Old 08-03-2022, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

John, you may be just a little bit early for the Fall tomato planting season in Florida which starts in September/October. Or have you planted a heat resistant variety? February is the Spring planting season.

And by the way, it is an honor to be here with you on your journey.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My tomatoes probably still have 2 weeks to go before ripe.
. I have plenty of green ones though.
Green fried tomatoes come out terrific in the air fryer then I make a mayo/Sriracha dip. Awesome!
Old 08-03-2022, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Zenithboy, green tomatoes with may/Sriracha dip sound delicious.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You are very special as well John.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
John, you may be just a little bit early for the Fall tomato planting season in Florida which starts in September/October. Or have you planted a heat resistant variety? February is the Spring planting season.

And by the way, it is an honor to be here with you on your journey.
You are right. Did some research and found out a lot of things. Planting tomatoes when it's hot and humid (which it is) is not a good idea. Clipping the lower stems might help some. Should of done some research before any plants, instead of saying to myself "oh boy, I'm gonna have a vegetable garden and have fun" Well, it has been fun. Not giving up. Will buy more plants at the right time. Meanwhile, I will try to do what I can to keep the surviving tomato plant alive. John
Old 08-03-2022, 11:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
I hope the treatment is going well and that the chemo doesn't have you too worn down.
The first several days can be a little tough, but I'm getting used to it. Will spend all day tomorrow doing chemo. Bought some magazines and a crossword book to pass the time. It's a long day. Thanks for your post. John
Old 08-03-2022, 11:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As far as taking another trip, my checking account can only take so much. The thing is though is that pancreatic cancer will definitely shorten my life and there is no way to know how much chemo will help. From what I've read and after talking to people, the last few years can be pretty tough. I do have savings I can draw on if needed.
Really want to know what you guys think. I trust your judgement. Thanks in advance, John
Old 08-03-2022, 12:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi John;
Glad you brought some things to do with you to treatment. I should have thought about the growing season being so hot and humid in FL, but it is great you are keeping one going and gonna try some more in the Fall.

I think maybe just see how your numbers look after this course of treatment, and how you feel in terms of energy and go from there. I see what you mean about holding on to savings, and maybe there is a balance between “seizing the day” and having some fun and adventure but also taking it easy to promote healing and enjoy your home and patio in a quieter way.

I find “inexpensive” recreation pretty rewarding, as you seem to also. You know, going to the close-by natural areas, being outside on your property enjoying sunshine and fresh air, walking on the beach. . . All those things done mindfully really do add up to a rewarding and peaceful retirement.

My brother likes to take big trips, eat out, and maximize places to go. He doesn’t understand why I no longer have much desire to do that. Lots of people assume vacations have to be big changes of scene and expensive. Just noticing and being mindful in local beauty is pretty cool, and it gives high value for little input.

Maybe work backwards and think about what feelings you want to have, instead of externals. . . Is there anybody you want to contact you haven’t in a long time? Are there some books or movies you’ve always meant to read or see that you can order or rent? Is there unfinished business you can get a start on now and decide if you want to pursue later?

Some or any of these things may seem useful, or maybe some of them hold no interest for you at all. Most important thing is to follow your own North Star right now—what seems valuable you have yet to do, and then consider if you have the means and energy to try for it now or later.

You are doing all the right things in terms of treatment and keeping positive. What are 3-5 actions that will improve your quality of life in the immediate present or near future, or a few months from now? I would start there

Let us know how your chemo went today and be sure to eat and stay hydrated afterwords ASAP