Notices

thanks for all your support

Old 08-20-2022, 12:57 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I suppose the fight against cancer is much like the battle against booze- one day at a time, one battle at a time. I'm glad it was a good day!
Old 08-20-2022, 08:28 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
It is really encouraging to hear how well treatment is going, and the weight gain is especially impressive during a course of chemo.

I am really happy to hear this update John—at this rate, it does seem like getting back to work is something that could happen pretty soon—when are you thinking?

I am still mulling over the housing options you have shared. What is the VA option like? Right now, maybe staying put in your current place and getting the support help if needed might be the least difficult until you are through the treatment and back in the gym.

I’m curious how close each option is to your workplace—that would be very important if you are going back later this year or early next year. Also, do you have to renew a lease where you are right now? This might limit your choices if so. Wait list for the place you just saw may also be a factor. Getting on a wait list is a pretty low-risk thing to do even if you don’t move, so that might be a good idea also.

Any tomatoes ready yet on your plant, or is the green foliage just taking over you deck ? Who knew you had such a green thumb!
I'm hoping to get back to work after Labor Day, maybe sooner depending on what is offered. I'm sure I can work half day assignments.
The VA provides respite care. One is a nurse that drops by how I am doing medically, another comes by to help with daily routines. Another one is I move into a VA facility should my problems gets really bad. I don't see a need for any of these services right now, but maybe down the road. If I move into the retirement community I just checked out, it would be outside the area for the schools I normally work at. Staying where I am makes the best sense for now. Right now, just looking at my options should things change. Just want to be prepared. I would have to put $1500 down at the retirement place I checked out to be put on the waiting list, but it might go to the first months rent or get a refund should I decide to opt out. I just signed a new lease, but would consider breaking it if needed. I was told that if a doctor writes a letter saying the place I am currently living in can't provide the services I need, they would have to allow me to break the lease without penalty.
Meanwhile, my one remaining tomato plant is growing like crazy!!!! Must be around three feet tall, but still no tomatos. Need to be patient I guess. Looking forward to adding to my mini garden. Just waiting for the right time. Have a good one!!!! John
Old 08-20-2022, 08:33 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

A lot more pain today for some reason. Spent a lot of time going back and forth to the bathroom. Don't want to sound like a complainer so I'll end it there, other than to say this really sucks. I'm nearing the end of chemo, so things should get better after that. Can't wait. John
Old 08-20-2022, 08:58 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

You have been an inspiration throughout the course of your treatments, John. It is okay to complain; let your feelings out.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:56 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Leigh John - if it helps you, vent as much as you need to.

D
Old 08-21-2022, 03:23 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
You have been an inspiration throughout the course of your treatments, John. It is okay to complain; let your feelings out.
I'm constantly reminding myself that there are many people that have it much worse than me. Sure, my problem is serious, but I have a lot going for me that others' don't. This thinking helps me from slipping into a poor me attitude which we all know gets us nowhere. Have a nice night everybody. Thanks again for all you have done for me. John
Old 08-21-2022, 03:28 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Your doing great John. Your attitude reminds me of a motivational, or I suppose 'spirituality' writer/speaker. He suggests that people don't over identify with their illnesses, certainly we must do what we have to for treatment/management and ofcourse it's ok to express if we are having a hard time. I hope today is a good day.....or tomorrow I suppose probably for you (it's morning here).
Old 08-24-2022, 10:39 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Saw a pain doctor today. He said I'm a good candidate for the pain blocker. There is a lot more to it than I thought. I thought it was only injecting me with something that will block the pain. Couldn't be more wrong. I will be put out during the procedure. It involves sticking needles in certain places to "burn" the nerves so that they don't receive pain messages. Hopefully, that should either eliminate the pain completely, or have very little pain after that so I don't have to take any pain meds again. Be nice to get up in the morning with no pain. It would be a first in a very long time. Might even help with having more motivation to get things done, cause the pain really slows me down. The pain meds might be doing the same thing. It would certainly help with my moods. Might not happen for another month or so, so I'll need to be patient. Would be nice to feel close to normal again. Been a while. John
Old 08-24-2022, 12:06 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Pain can really interfere with almost everything. This procedure could be a very good solution, John.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:12 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Your attitude really is amazing, John.

Hope the pain blocker works.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Dropping in to wish you all of the very best, John. Didn't want to drop off the radar without a word.

I'm taking a break from everything at the moment, need to kick back and take care of myself. My daughter is very ill, and I am exhausted. Smelling the roses is enough for me at the moment. 🌹

I hope you enjoy all of the adventures you have lined up. Everything's an adventure really, depending on how we deal with it.

May all of your tomatoes grow, and may strawberries tumble from your vine in a cornucopia of delight.

Rock on John.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:34 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I'm glad you're keeping your options open with the VA people, the retirement community and the pain block. It's good to know that there are things that could help you in the future.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:44 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

How is the pain today John? Like Anna, I am also glad you are working with VA to find some better solutions. Quality of life is really important—

When would you get this procedure done? Is it an overnight stay or outpatient?
Old 08-26-2022, 10:25 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Dropping in to wish you all of the very best, John. Didn't want to drop off the radar without a word.

I'm taking a break from everything at the moment, need to kick back and take care of myself. My daughter is very ill, and I am exhausted. Smelling the roses is enough for me at the moment. 🌹

I hope you enjoy all of the adventures you have lined up. Everything's an adventure really, depending on how we deal with it.

May all of your tomatoes grow, and may strawberries tumble from your vine in a cornucopia of delight.

Rock on John.
I was getting really worried about you, since I haven't heard from you in a while. Very sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she recovers soon. Most importantly, take care of yourself. Take the break you need. We will be here when you are ready. John
Old 08-26-2022, 10:32 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
How is the pain today John? Like Anna, I am also glad you are working with VA to find some better solutions. Quality of life is really important—

When would you get this procedure done? Is it an overnight stay or outpatient?
Pain has been worse this week for some reason, but this too shall pass. The doctor hasn't called back yet to schedule an appointment. I think it will be some time in early October. The problem is working around my chemo treatments. It's only a two hour procedure, so no need to stay overnight. He said I should feel fine the next day. Just take it easy. Will need to take an uber both ways since I'll be put out for the procedure. Doesn't sound like a big deal. Just stick a needle here, than another one there, then pain is bye bye (I hope). John
Old 08-26-2022, 12:39 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Great news!!!! I'm going in the the procedure next Monday!!!! A lot sooner than I thought. Really hope this works. John
Old 08-26-2022, 01:16 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that the pain is worse John. Wonderful news that the pain blocking procedure will be sooner then you thought!
Old 08-26-2022, 01:24 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes John

D
Old 08-26-2022, 10:52 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you John. I hope things go nice and smoothly with your procedure.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:11 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

What great news, John!

Nerve cautery works well for most people!

I have got a great feeling about this for you.

in the meantime, sending vibes for peace of mind, decreased pain, and increased intake of food.

Sweet dreams.