Notices

thanks for all your support

Old 08-07-2022, 07:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I hope the pain and shakiness are getting better. Is your trip to see the nice retirement place you mentioned some time ago? I have seen some online and many are amazing—resort-like in some cases.

What are some of the things to do there? What kinds of environment and / or activities do you like? For me, I have no interest in golf but love the beach. I would want a gym and some natural places for light hiking but not much interest in fine dining.

I am glad you are planning some more travel. Something to look forward to and offers new experiences helps me deal with down days. I like the dreaming and planning as much as the actual trip
Old 08-07-2022, 09:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I hope the pain and shakiness are getting better. Is your trip to see the nice retirement place you mentioned some time ago? I have seen some online and many are amazing—resort-like in some cases.

What are some of the things to do there? What kinds of environment and / or activities do you like? For me, I have no interest in golf but love the beach. I would want a gym and some natural places for light hiking but not much interest in fine dining. Also has assisted living should I ever need it.

I am glad you are planning some more travel. Something to look forward to and offers new experiences helps me deal with down days. I like the dreaming and planning as much as the actual trip
Now that I looked over the place after reading your post, there really not that much to do. Lots of exercise activities like yoga, and tai chi, but not much more. Got bingo of course, and some card games. Glad you asked the question. Still a nice place and worth checking out. Does serve three meals a day with a big selection, most utilities paid, weekly cleaning, on call nurse, nice pool, so it does have a lot of stuff.
Like you, I'm a beach person. Tried golf, hated it.
Your right about the fun in planning a trip. Love checking out things to do. Like staying busy on a trip. Fancy hotels are not my thing. Just a place to eat, clean up and sleep. Never understood why people spend a ton on a room when your only there a short time. Would rather spend my money on activities. Enjoy trying different restaurants that offer food that is not on a normal menu, like the alligator bites I had on my last trip. Not bad, but no big deal.
Anyway, always nice hearing from you. Have a good one. John
Old 08-11-2022, 07:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

How are you, John?
Old 08-12-2022, 09:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
How are you, John?
Overall I'm doing fine. Thanks for checking in. The last chemo treatment was a rough one and took a lot out of me. Dealing with more pain this week. Very weak. Just food shopping was really tough. Trying hard to avoid taking the pain pills unless I really need them. Even my fingers are peeling again; something that has not happened in a long time. Hope this isn't a sign of what is coming, Checking on a retirement community next week. Hope I feel better buy then, and I really want to get back to work. Being a pretty stubborn person, I'll accompolish those things one way or another. I don't give up easily. Was beginning to wonder if you guys have gotten a little tired of me going on and on about my situation. Again, thanks for checking up on me. Means a lot. Take care, John
Old 08-12-2022, 09:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love hearing you talk about your cancer journey. I'm just slow to catch up on your thread. I'm sure it's a huge struggle going through chemo, but I'm glad you're sticking with it. And, I'm glad you're looking ahead at a retirement community, possible teaching jobs and some mini-vacations. I think you're doing great with the mental aspect of this journey.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I love hearing you talk about your cancer journey. I'm just slow to catch up on your thread. I'm sure it's a huge struggle going through chemo, but I'm glad you're sticking with it. And, I'm glad you're looking ahead at a retirement community, possible teaching jobs and some mini-vacations. I think you're doing great with the mental aspect of this journey.
That means a lot to me. Thanks. John
Old 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Not tired at all John—for me, just spent the past 10 days trying to get my car fixed and couldn’t even get a diagnosis for nearly a full week they are so busy. Naturally this happened when my brother was visiting from another country, so he was feeling abandoned, and then the topper was both “back up cars” (spouse’s and MIL’s) developed significant issues (broken brake shoe an engine mount failures) so I’ve been in stress city all week. . . I really found being helpless to fix the situation quickly triggering but didn’t drink over it, so that’s good. . . .

Just got my car back about an hour ago—cost nearly two grand as it is 5000 miles out of warranty, but I am so happy to be free again. I spent the night where my brother is staying and just drove to the farm to mow. Truthfully, I am mentally exhausted from pushing so hard to get my car (the delay might have been another full week if I hadn’t kept calling and calling and calling to get scheduled) I think I am going to take a nap then mow.

It isn’t anything compared to dealing with chemo and the pain and fatigue you are pushing through, but I want you to know I was thinking of you often this week and worried about you eating and drinking enough. Are you able to do that yet? If shopping is hard, cooking must be worse. What is your strategy for dealing with that, and did you find out if you can get more in-home support during these chemo recovery times? If someone could prep some food and do light cleaning, it would give you more time to rest and recover.

I think the retirement place sounds actuallly pretty interesting, as does the area. If you can some good ethnic and / or local food, plus have extra support, it might be a very good choice as you work on getting through your treatments and into remission / recovery.

How do you plan to get there? It might be nice to go with someone to help with driving, or arrange other transport so you don’t have the work of all the driving, parking, walking, etc. Sometimes the places themselves will pick you up to show you around. Have you checked with them about that, or with VA for alternative options?

Hang in there and keep that stubborn streak going, as it seems to be a real ally in your treatment process. My husband says I am pretty stubborn too, but I just don’t see it
Old 08-12-2022, 02:41 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hawkeye 13, I am exhausted just reading all you have had to deal with. My car is due for a tune up but they always find something else. If I get by spending $400, I'll feel pretty lucky. Like me, old cars require a lot of work, and both costs a lot.
I got a feeling that if things continue to go the way they are going, I might eventually need some help with basic needs, but I am fighting that tooth and nail. If I get to the point I just can't do shopping, etc., I'll reach out to the VA for support but I'm no where near that right now. They provide all kinds of services so it's there if I need it. For some reason, accepting their help means giving up on myself and I will fight that till the end. I get all kinds of support in many ways, but I will fight till the bitter end before I will accept help just doing daily stuff. If I have to crawl around my apartment to get things done I'd rather do that then depend on someone else to do stuff for me. The VA is always asking if I need help with daily activities and I tell them no, I am doing fine. My anger and stubborness is all I need to keep fighting.
I have nobody to help with getting to the retirement place but that is fine. I am fine driving. It is the walking that is tough. As long as I can get out of my car, stand up without falling down and walk, I'll do fine. I may have to walk slower and occasionally stop and steady myself, but I will get to where I'm getting to. Nothing will stop me from reaching my goal. Nothing. Meanwhile, my one tomato plant is looking great. Growing like a weed. Actually worried about my tomato plant then me, ha ha. Looking forward to ripe tomato's this fall. Asparagus and lettuce plants coming soon. Maybe even strawberries. Dare to dream!!!!!! Have a good one, and thanks for not getting bored with my posts. Lost my therapist this week due to her moving on and my VA advocate is also moving on, so staying in tough with you guys means a lot. Nighty night. John
Old 08-12-2022, 04:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I totally understand your desire to be independent through this journey and to not have to ask for help. But, when there are services being offered to you that will make your life easier, it might not be so bad to consider it as an option in the future. I think that your determination to do this yourself right now is helping to keep you moving forward and I understand your reluctance. But, it wouldn't be giving up on yourself. It would be loving yourself enough to ask for help that you need.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:22 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, John.

Your plans and steadfast determination are amazing. The retirement community sounds great! Don’t forget Uber if you feel to weak to drive. How about a cane to help steady yourself? A fall would be horrible.

We aren’t tired of your posts. Your journey and courage are very inspirational. My tiny problems are nothing. I wish in some way other than supporting you on SR that we could help you. I guess this is it.

Big hugs and sweet dreams

🤓❤️
Old 08-13-2022, 02:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I never get tired of hearing it, John! I'm glad you're doing okay.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I never get tired of hearing it, John! I'm glad you're doing okay.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:08 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
John, I totally understand your desire to be independent through this journey and to not have to ask for help. But, when there are services being offered to you that will make your life easier, it might not be so bad to consider it as an option in the future. I think that your determination to do this yourself right now is helping to keep you moving forward and I understand your reluctance. But, it wouldn't be giving up on yourself. It would be loving yourself enough to ask for help that you need.
You have a great way of putting things in perspective. I never thought of getting help when I need it in a way that makes sense. No reason why I can still remain independent yet reach out when I need it. I guess loving myself means reaching out when it makes sense. Thanks for your insight. You always give me stuff to think about. John
Old 08-13-2022, 10:39 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

John, Publix grocery store will deliver a food order to you (probably Winn-Dixie, too). There is a delivery charge (and maybe a slight up-charge in items) but if you are feeling too poorly to drive or shop, that is an option. When my husband and I were sick at the same time, and both feeling rotten, we used that service.

It is important to take care of yourself - to listen to your body if you are too tired to drive or shop; it is telling you to slow down for a reason; it needs the energy you would otherwise expend to heal.

Sending up prayers for you.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:31 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
John, Publix grocery store will deliver a food order to you (probably Winn-Dixie, too). There is a delivery charge (and maybe a slight up-charge in items) but if you are feeling too poorly to drive or shop, that is an option. When my husband and I were sick at the same time, and both feeling rotten, we used that service.

It is important to take care of yourself - to listen to your body if you are too tired to drive or shop; it is telling you to slow down for a reason; it needs the energy you would otherwise expend to heal.

Sending up prayers for you.
I used the delivery service during the lockdown. Might start using it again if things get worse. Kinda wish I could put off the appointment to see the senior retirement community, but it's too important to cancel it. It's only a two night stay so I should be able to do that. John
Old 08-14-2022, 07:57 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Well, I'm off on my trip. Hope all goes well. Will fill you in when I get back on Wednesday. Have a fantastic day!!!! John
Old 08-14-2022, 01:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Good luck! Thinking of you and looking forward to your update!
Old 08-14-2022, 02:24 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy it John
Old 08-14-2022, 04:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck, John. We'll be hoping to hear from you when you get back.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:04 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Awesome! Have a good time!