Notices

thanks for all your support

Old 08-03-2022, 01:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just got pretty good news today. He had a concern about something but said overall things are looking pretty good. He said a lot of people have not responded as well as I have with the chemo. Beats the gloom and doom I got from a doctor before I started chemo. Just wanted to hang myself after that meeting. The thing is, these doctors know just so much. Their opinions are just that. I expect to surprise these doctors with my progress. My system has gone through a lot over the years and I'm still here. Expect to be here for many more years. I won't tolerate less. Bring it on. I am ready. John
Old 08-03-2022, 03:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's awesome! And as you say, they only know so much. The will to keep fighting is an X-factor that doctors generally understand affects outcomes but they can't plug that into an equation. Life is filled with struggles, and those battles are fought for our entire lives. The battle means more if you're striving to enjoy the life you're fighting for.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Had a really horrible day today. In a really bad mood. Got my treatment today. 10 hours. It hit me harder than usual; very weak, could hardly walk. Went to valet to get my car but I was too late. They already closed. Some guy told me I needed to go to the ER to get my car. Long walk. Got my key but was told I needed to go to the parking garage and my car would be in the handicapped parking lot across the street. Very long walk. Managed to get there without falling down. My car wasn't there. A very nice lady saw I was having a problem. She offered to drive around lot to find it. Couldn't find it, so off I go back to the ER. Talked to a police officer there and told him my story. He drove me around until I found my car.
Next time I get chemo in two weeks, I'm going tell the nurses that if they can't finish the treatment before valet parking closes, they will just have to cut the chemo treatment short so I can get to valet before they close. I would only lose around 15 minutes, so I wouldn't be missing that much. Now for a good nights sleep, hopefully. Have a good one. Feeling better already after posting this. John
Old 08-04-2022, 04:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure other people have been in your position John - there must be away around it. Ask the nurses next time.
D
Old 08-04-2022, 04:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, that sounds like a miserable chore to find your car. I think speaking to the nurses and telling them you need to leave to get to the valet parking is a good idea.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sure other people have been in your position John - there must be away around it. Ask the nurses next time.
D
Thing is, I get to oncology at 700 am as soon as they start. My chemo is longer than anybody else because of the reaction I got, so their not gonna speed up the process so there are few options. They might be able to get from one IV to another so that's about it.
The good news is that the markers that show how much cancer there is has shown major progress. The tumor has grown but the doctor said it's probably cause the cancer is dying!!!! John
Old 08-04-2022, 05:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I actually meant a way around the parking issue, like another car park that stays open later.
They would try and organise something like that for chemo patients here, but I realise it may not be the same across the world.

Glad to hear you got good news on the tumour tho.

D
Old 08-04-2022, 06:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Wishing you all the best John
Old 08-04-2022, 07:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What about an Uber ? Do you have Uber where you are?

Sorry to hear about the terrible day. You really need a driver.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the transportation issues, John. Does your community have any sort of medical transportation van, or subsidized taxi cabs? Many do. Also check with your insurance company.

Best wishes, and so impressed by your positive attitude, John.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better today John— the parking saga sounds terrible even if you felt at your best.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I did use medical transportation for a while. Thing is they also close at 5:00 pm like valet parking does. I have used Uber before and might use it again if necessary. I just finished talking to my therapist about this. There is a parking lot for disabled people that is easy walking distance to the front entrance. I did ask someone at the hospital if I could park my car there. He didn't seem to sure about it. My therapist suggested I talk to a police officer about it the next time I'm at the hospital. So, I'll probably take Uber the next time then talk to an officer about it. If I can, then the problems solved. Really don't want to cut my chemo short because of a transportation problem.
Thanks for all your suggestions. John
Old 08-05-2022, 08:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Would a dreadful experience, John; you must have been exhausted after all of that. Hiring an Uber to take you to and from your next treatment sounds like a good plan.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Still can't believe I've lost so much weight. I've been told the weight comes back after chemo therapy is done. Maybe then I can go back to the gym. Still planning on going back to work at the end if this month or next month, working part time. Can't imagine having to work during this time. Pretty lucky with that. Might not get my life back the way it was for a time, but if I can at least work a little and do light workouts at home will be a start. Planning on another road trip to give me something to look forward to. Meanwhile, my last tomato plant is still hanging on. John
Old 08-05-2022, 04:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for update, John. Hoping I’m right in feeling you sound in better spirits.

Uber is great. In fact, cars are becoming too expensive to own and care for, and the trend is to become careless when robot drivers take over.

Eat and rest as much as possible.

Sweet dreams
Old 08-05-2022, 08:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Carless, Siri. CARless.

😜
Old 08-06-2022, 04:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Still continuing with my light workouts. My one last tomato plant is looking real good. Maybe the pruning helped some. Planning on buying more plants once the heat and humidity gets lower. Live and learn.
Pain has increased some, probably due to the tumor growing, which, according to the doctor is a good thing. Cancer is decreasing so I'm good with that. Have met many people in my situation that are in worse shape than me. Can't complain. No more suicidal thoughts anymore. Getting mentally stronger every day. Talked to my therapist about taking another trip and the limited financial resources I have. After talking with her, I realized that taking those short trips helps with my mood and helps me stay positive about my situation, so the trips make more sense in doing them. Have a trip planned for next week, and maybe another next month. Gotta work around my appointments and know when the pain and weakness subsides some. John
Old 08-06-2022, 04:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you know that the mini-vacations are helpful to you. It's too bad you have to work around pain and appointments, but it will be worth it. It would be good if you could get back to work part-time next month.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

That sounds great!
Old 08-07-2022, 09:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you know that the mini-vacations are helpful to you. It's too bad you have to work around pain and appointments, but it will be worth it. It would be good if you could get back to work part-time next month.
Thanks for your post. Not feeling too positive today. That's pretty common right after chemo. Took everything I had just to do food shopping. Very shaky, more pain. I hope you are right that it will all be worth it. You are right about the mini-vacations. Looking forward to getting out of town next week. Not much of a trip to just check out a possible future retirement, but it keeps me hopeful, John