Notices

Feeling positive for a sober future

Old 07-28-2022, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling positive for a sober future

Hi All

Day 4 after possibly the worst withdrawals I have ever had from the weekends antics, I decided enough is enough and I no longer want to drink alcohol anymore, normally by Wednesday/Thursday Id convince myself I am overreacting and talk myself back into ‘taking it easy’ ‘just have a couple here and there’, but this will not be happening this time round.

Like I have said In a previous post Ive binge drank over my life from 13 till now (late 30s), Ive never drank everyday but to me that does not necessarily mean my drinking has been any less destructive to me, my family, relationships, my mind and body.

I have the ability to do dry jan, sober October etc and thought I was ok, but a massive blackout session this weekend with horrific withdrawals the following night and days has forced me to realise drink and drinking is only going to cause me and my beautiful family problems going forward, I feel like its only a matter of time before I get drunk and do something wreck-less during a blackout and complete ruin my life, marriage or hurt myself in an accident or someone else through my own sheer stupidity, enough is enough.

I have had times over the years where Ive sworn to myself that I will stop, even went to AA for a couple of months, but It wasn’t for me then (late 20s) not saying that is the case now as I have grown and changed as a person in many other ways.

I will keep posting and reading and helping others here if I can, it has been really helpful knowing I am not the only one wanting to stay sober, thanks for reading.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, blackouts are very scary and those memories are lost forever. Our brains simply do not keep the memories during a blackout so we'll never know what happened.

I'm not an AA person either, but I do think it's a good idea to have a plan in place for when you get a craving, because it will likely happen. Being prepared can make a big difference. I'm glad you're doing well, and that you plan to keep reading here and posting.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna, this place has been a blessing, I am currently looking into different support groups also for as you rightly said, when the cravings come calling 😔
Old 07-28-2022, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 4!!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

4 days is wonderful, Kerrew. Life will be so much better without it.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days!
Old 07-29-2022, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys, day 5 and still do not want to go near it
Old 07-29-2022, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Kerrew, congrats on your decision. It sounds like you've done a good cost vs. benefits analysis, and decided that drinking isn't something you want to do. I made the same call myself.

Part of the alcohol craziness is that the part of your brain that craves it will start trying to overpower your logical brain. You may get messages like "I can handle it this time." Or "the only way to have fun tonight is to drink." Whenever you hear yourself saying that, engage the part of your brain that you used to come to the decision to stop, and repeat all those truths to yourself. Above all else, it's absolutely, completely, perfectly possible to have a good time sober, so there's no reason you have to drink.

All the best!
Old 07-29-2022, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations Kerrew. You are on rhe right path for you and thats whats matters. Keep posting and sharing, its a great life line when you need help from people who understand what you are going through.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This website lead me to getting sober. I was sleeping in a horse trailer. August 6 2022, I'll have 90 days alcohol free and I don't have to sleep in a horse trailer tonight.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

5 days - that's wonderful, Kerrew. You'll grow a little stronger every day.