Notices

Breaking Bad

Old 07-24-2022, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breaking Bad

It’s probably not the most appropriate TV show to be discussing on an addiction-related forum, so I won’t discuss the plot or content.

I binge watched much of this series in 2015. I’d head to my man cave with bottles of whatever and watch a few episodes on Netflix before crashing out. I mentioned recently I’m getting divorced. My wife was elsewhere in the house during all this which was a common theme to this heavy drinking period. Anyway, I always thought Breaking Bad was OK, nothing to rave about or shave my head for.

I’ve recently started watching Breaking Bad again. It’s still an average entertainment, but it’s scary the amount of content I missed first time around. I recently saw a scene where a snitch’s head was mounted on a turtle. It’s not the sort of thing that slips your mind, but I have zero recollection of this from 2015. There are whole subplots and characters who weren’t visible to the 2015 me.

I’ve decided I either fell asleep a little or was just totally blotto.

I’m sure I missed a lot of other stuff back then. My wife sure thinks so. Those really were my lost years.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I loved Breaking Bad, but I was probably watching it drinking a bottle or two of wine.
I have just finish watching Vikings for the second time. It was odd that as soon as theme music started it reminded me of being drunk, and so now I have re watched it sober and hopefully over written those earlier associations.
Many lost years, or at least evenings.

Thanks Hodd for reminding me how glad I am to be sober!
Old 07-24-2022, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not heard of Vikings, dusty. I try to limit my TV time. In the UK, we’re supposed to pay for a TV licence which funds the BBC. I never watch BBC so stopped paying the licence fee about six months ago and now get threatening letters. Let’s see how this pans out.

Before Breaking Bad, I bought the entire set of Sopranos DVDs. I’m sure I fell asleep during half of those too. Sopranos was also OK but nothing mesmerising. I think one semi-conscious viewing is enough for this lifetime.

Now I said I don’t let TV rule my life, but it’s nearly Tuesday, so it must be Better Call Saul 🤣🤣🤪
Old 07-24-2022, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
It’s probably not the most appropriate TV show to be discussing on an addiction-related forum, so I won’t discuss the plot or content.

I binge watched much of this series in 2015. I’d head to my man cave with bottles of whatever and watch a few episodes on Netflix before crashing out. I mentioned recently I’m getting divorced. My wife was elsewhere in the house during all this which was a common theme to this heavy drinking period. Anyway, I always thought Breaking Bad was OK, nothing to rave about or shave my head for.

I’ve recently started watching Breaking Bad again. It’s still an average entertainment, but it’s scary the amount of content I missed first time around. I recently saw a scene where a snitch’s head was mounted on a turtle. It’s not the sort of thing that slips your mind, but I have zero recollection of this from 2015. There are whole subplots and characters who weren’t visible to the 2015 me.

I’m sure I missed a lot of other stuff back then. My wife sure thinks so. Those really were my lost years.
LOL I rewatched all of BB and BCS and Shameless when I got sober. Yeah, some pretty interesting stuff in all of those. Funny thing is, no triggers or urges.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wouldn’t know what to do with the product so definitely no triggers for me 🙂 There must’ve been a lot of complaints when BB first aired as it seems a very destructive drug.

Saying that, there’s the oft used saying about alcohol being harder to quit than heroin. I don’t know about the latter, but I certainly sympathise now with addicts of any sort.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve had a Netflix subscription for years.. but can’t watch violent or strongly emotional scenes at all.. they are too realistic, and upset me, so that rules a lot of it out.. the rest is mostly garbage.. so I guess I need to finally get around to cancelling it. That $16 fills the tank on the motorcycle, which is more my idea of fun.

Thanks for reminding me!
Old 07-25-2022, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I pay about £7 a month for a single screen subscription. My wife sometimes uses it, but we’ve never been on at the same time. I think when Better Call Saul (another plug) ends in a few weeks, I might just cancel. It’s a struggle to find anything worthwhile watching on there. I don’t know how people can just watch any old junk. I’m not the most disciplined individual, but I’ll turn on a TV to watch a particular program and turn off when it’s over. My parents used to watch anything that moved on TV and it drove me up the wall.

If you’re not into violence (who is?), maybe give Breaking Bad a miss.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am all about Better Call Saul, great, right?
Old 07-26-2022, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m a BCS fan too, dropsie, but let’s be honest. The first few series were like nothing’s happening. And I was sober sat through all that lot. I think it had to pick up by series 3 or it’d be binned. It’s definitely got good in the last couple of series, but I reckon Breaking Bad has more development and more going on.

I’ve not watched the very latest BCS yet, but last weeks struck a chord with me. His wife walked out, and his downfall to unhappiness is complete. I’ve just split with my wife, so I’d better make more effort to stay on the straight and narrow. We don’t even have Cinnabon here in the U.K. 😃
Old 07-27-2022, 12:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had to rewatch all of Game of Thrones because the first time around I was binge-drinking as I was binge-watching. 6 seasons and the only character's name I could remember was Jon Snow haha.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never watched Breaking Bad, nor any of the popular shows, so don't have any opinions about it. The only TV I watch is streaming ST and Twilight Zone. Just old shows, the classics.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

These box sets are an analogy for the life of a drinker really. If I missed huge chunks of Breaking Bad despite being sat in front of the screen, I must’ve missed a whole load of real-life stuff too.

On a lighter (or heavier) note, from watching the latest BCS, I didn’t realise the “cakes” from Cinnabon were so big! Must be 1000+ calories each. I felt ill just watching!
Old 07-27-2022, 05:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m sure I’ll get a good telling off from Dee for starting a thread with an already very tenuous link to SR topics, so I might as well continue. It’s sort of trigger/addiction related.

I’ve never had a sweet tooth and don’t really understand cakes. They look nice but are just too big. A brownie-sized portion is enough for me. So I always thought Cinnabon sold the flat swirly cinnamon rolls. From the latest BCS, I see Cinnabon sells huge cakes! I googled the Cinnabon classic roll, and it’s a sickly 800 calories! Yikes! An adult male isn’t supposed to go much over 2000 calories a day. To ingest almost half that on a sugary lardy mountain that lasts 3 minutes, that’s not good. Everything (well, nearly everything) in moderation.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

You miss more than you think when you're drinking!

I used to hit a point with drinking that the only shows/media I could really engage with were reruns of Star Trek or South Park... or something mundane like America's Got Talent. I'd rarely start something "new." I just needed/wanted comfort and repetition.

Sober me tears through dozens of new audiobooks a year. History, philosophy, politics, fantasy/science fiction -- and the bigger and more in-depth the universe the better! I've also taken to more fun/intense video games like "Red Dead Redemption 2" and lots of active VR fitness games.

If I were still drinking, I probably wouldn't have attempted any of the above because they require brainpower and active listening to do them. That would be very sad.