Notices

Confused about FOMO

Old 07-16-2022, 09:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I’m humbled by all of your replies.
I feel so fortunate to belong to a site where I can express my feelings without fear of feeling foolish or weak. I find that the more honest I am on the site the more I get out of it. Anyway thank you all so much for what you wrote. I stare at your responses and I read them over and over. I feel like you all must have been therapists in your former lives.

Thank you for your support!
Old 07-16-2022, 09:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I’m pasting a post I wrote last year on my day seven:

Ending the evening tonight with contemplation of Rule 2 from the 12 Rules for Life book, and how very much like S—in my interpretation of it anyway—to step 3 in AA.

12 Rules/Rule2
  1. Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping

Most people will make sure their pet gets the best care and help them take necessary medicines etc. more than they would for themselves.

Things that are experienced personally are more real than objective things. These these are the fundamental elements of human life, and they aren’t reducible to the detached and objective. Pain is an example. The unique drama of lived experience

There is chaos, order, and the third element is the process that mediates the two, which appears to be called consciousness. Chaos is the domain of ignorance. It’s unexplored territory. Chaos is the despair and horror you feel when you have been profoundly betrayed. Chaos is where we are when we dont know where we are. It’s those things and situations we neither know or understand. Chaos is freedom too, dreadful freedom.

Order by contrast is explored territory. It’s is the hierarchy of place, position and authority. Order is tribe, religion, hearth, home and country.

We seldom leave places we understand, and we certainly do not like it when we are compelled to or when it happens accidentally.

Our brains respond instantly when chaos appears with hyper fast circuits, then deeply reflexive responses of emotion— and then, comes thinking which can last from seconds to minutes to years.

“As God himself claims (so goes the story), “Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” According to this philosophy, you do not simply belong to yourself. You are not simply your own possession to torture and mistreat. This is partly because your Being is inexorably tied up with that of others, and your mistreatment of yourself can have catastrophic consequences for others. This is most clearly evident, perhaps, in the aftermath of suicide, when those left behind are often both bereft and traumatized. But, metaphorically speaking, there is also this: you have a spark of the divine in you, which belongs not to you, but to God. We are, after all—according to Genesis—made in His image. We have the semi-divine capacity for consciousness. Our consciousness participates in the speaking forth of Being. We are low-resolution (“kenotic”) versions of God. We can make order from chaos—and vice versa—in our way, with our words. So, we may not exactly be God, but we’re not exactly nothing, either.”

Step 3 in AA,—— turn our lives and will to God or our understanding of our HP

Yes, yes. I need to love me as God does, not my beast wants. Since I believe there is a piece of God in me, my soul, who is shouting out between the beast’s call to lizard like desire in alcohol, I turn my soul over to the part of me that consciously knows what is right for me, with the help of other souls, the healing grace of love, and last but not least, a community of souls who are reaching out to me in energy waves across mikes and kilometers, near and far, saying “You can heal. You can be happy. You are loved and whole. Believe it. Believe in the Universal Mind, your HP.”

I do. I do.

A view that will be from our living room in a couple years. Went up there tonight, and am so grateful to be blessed and choosing a life of love for myself, to behave as if I’m someone I love and care for, someone I’m responsible for.

FINALLY choosing to live FREE

“The choice is ours: we can either be a host to God, or a hostage to our ego”. Wayne Dyer

Free since 8/28/21

Old 07-18-2022, 05:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Getting the truth out is the only way forward and SR is a great place for that as you see.
No judgement here.
How we gonna judge someone doing the exact same thing we've done?
I'm not hypocrite.
Or therapist but I have stumbled down the road you are on so I know the way home as does everyone else here that has made it back.
Just follow our lead and you will get there too.

Follow the one rule that will help you get there
Do Not Drink. No Matter What.
No reason no excuses. Not nary a good one out there to pick up a bottle.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You know for me, I did feel FOMO. And sometimes I felt FOMO to the extent that I drank. And I continued drinking for months and months. I pretended life was easier by drinking, the addict part of my brain was in control. I figured that if I drank, then everything was ok in life. I had a good job, financial security, health, a great social life, and I could drink too, I could have it all. Until the consequences of my drinking crept back up on me and it was out of control again. At the end of the day I had to accept I cannot drink, not even once, otherwise soon I'd be back to the binges and all day drinking. It took me many relapses and going back out there, but we quit for a reason. If drinking was enjoyable, why are we on soberrecovery? It's because we came looking for a way out of the misery, and that way out is to stop drinking once and for all, and the great thing about it is it's no loss, it's actually a great thing, as drinking is poison.