SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Night Nurse/Nyquil? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/459727-night-nurse-nyquil.html)

Hodd 07-01-2022 11:24 AM

Night Nurse/Nyquil?

Me and my first world problems. I think I’ve come down with flu. It’s just an enormous headache and weakness. No coughing or sniffling so it’s unlikely to be you know what.

I need to just rest, but I can’t sleep. I’ve not been ill for years so am a wimp. I remember using Night Nurse in the past. This would put an elephant to sleep, but it’s pure alcohol. I wouldn’t dream of downing a glass of wine, but I’m not sure about Night Nurse.

Anyone used Night Nurse? Is it too much of a risk?

Need to sleep though :(

TiredCarpenter 07-01-2022 11:46 AM

Knowingly ingesting alcohol in any measure takes us out of recovery.

Sleep will come.

Caramel 07-01-2022 01:00 PM

Take care, Hodd; you-know-what can manifest itself in varying ways, and seems to be rampant just now.
I hope you get rest and sleep, and whatever it is gets better soon.

Hodd 07-01-2022 01:04 PM

I did a bit of reading just now. NyQuil is about as strong as wine, but the recommended dose is very small. If I took a small sip of red wine, I’d probably go for more, even after three and a half years sober. There are non alcohol versions of these medicines, so if I’m still struggling tomorrow, I’ll give these a go :)

Dee74 07-01-2022 01:14 PM

There are non alcohol versions of these medicines, so if I’m still struggling tomorrow, I’ll give these a go https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...lies/smile.gif
That’s recovery kicking in :). Consider seeing a Doctor if you’re no better though, Hodd.
D

Tailai 07-01-2022 01:30 PM

How about Benadryl

RunningScared 07-01-2022 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tailai (Post 7823309)
How about Benadryl

This worked for me.

dustyfox 07-01-2022 03:46 PM

I have used night nurse, it didn't have any alcohol in it, but it did make me feel pretty groggy the next day.
I used it when I had a very bad dose of flu and it really does help you sleep.
It may be worth doing a test for Covid though, you never know, several people I know have it with no sniffles or cough.
Hope you feel better soon.

Colin1 07-01-2022 05:06 PM

Night Nurse capsules do not seem to have any alcohol in them Hodd. You can check them out here. No idea about the liquid version, if there is one.

Old style allergy pills like Benadryl help me to sleep also about 1 1/2 hours after taking one.

Scott2295 07-01-2022 06:32 PM

I used NyQuil a few months ago forgetting about the alcohol in it. 3am I was wide awake just like I had fallen asleep drunk. Never using it again.

VikingGF 07-01-2022 06:38 PM

Feel better, Hodd. Alcohol free NyQuil does the trick for me. Do take a Covid test, it manifests in so many ways. Be safe.

Hodd 07-01-2022 10:55 PM

I had a few LFT Covid tests left, and it turns out I’m positive :( No coughing or congestion though - I do have an oxymeter so will check my results often - but it just feels like a headache and very weak.

Think I’ll skip the night nurse.

Caramel 07-01-2022 11:20 PM

Poor you. :sick: I hope the wretched bug works through its course quickly and you make a good recovery. Take care.

Hodd 07-01-2022 11:24 PM

Thanks Caramel, I shouldn’t say this, but I’m “glad” Covid came along now I’m a fit non-drinker. The previously obese version of me wouldn’t have coped well.

I always thought when I got Covid, I’d be able to get a few admin tasks done. No chance. Can’t concentrate on anything bigger.

But all things considered, not too bad :)

Dee74 07-01-2022 11:25 PM

Hope you are back to full health soon Hodd :)
D

Caramel 07-01-2022 11:46 PM

Often the way, Hodd; one's attention-span goes downhill with everything else.
Hope you get plenty of rest and have some non-challenging amusements available. :)

Hodd 07-01-2022 11:48 PM

Well I watched a Mr Bean movie yesterday. That’s my level of intellect for the next week 🤣

Robbie64 07-02-2022 01:40 AM

Hope you feel better soon Hodd :)

I think I had covid back in April. I never did any tests but had all the symptoms and was laid up in bed for a couple of days. It took me a couple of weeks to get over whatever it was I did have. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better by Monday.

Hodd 07-02-2022 02:14 AM

Thanks Robbie, I had some LFT kits left over so thought I’d better test myself as I was with my wife overseas up to 5 days ago and she has aging parents. I probably wouldn’t have tested otherwise. As for food shopping, I’m probably highly infectious so it’s morally wrong to venture out. The best delivery place is the very extravagant Waitrose, so I’ll be dining on the finest oak-fed chicken and sun-dried Provençal risotto or whatever 🤣 Good incentive to get well soon as it’ll cost me a fortune.

Obladi 07-02-2022 06:26 AM

Former pharmacy technician checking in to say those combination medications are rarely the best choice. They’ve got stuff in them you may not need, not just the meds but often sugar, alcohol, additives… Better to treat the individual symptoms with the medication for that symptom. Headache - acetaminophen or ibuprofen, sleep - Benadryl or vistaril.

I’m glad you chose to skip anything you suspect contains alcohol, Hodd. Also I’m sorry you’re down with the covid. Take it easy…

O